PDA

View Full Version : Wall mounted mat cutter?

Darin Boville
6-Oct-2013, 11:51
I've been looking at buying a Fletcher mat cutter (again) but and struggling with space issues. Then I saw the ad here for the Esterly Speed-Mat cutter--a wall mounted unit. The one here looks good--and is priced right--but shipping across country is too much for me.

But I like the wall-mounted aspect. Are there any other wall-mount mat cutters to cut bevel mats?

--Darin

Tin Can
6-Oct-2013, 12:19
I'm looking also, the crazy thing is the hoarder right next to me, in the next condo has one, he won't give up. He never did, and never will use it.

I gotta try again.

Wall mounted has got to be the way to go!

Good luck!

Drew Wiley
7-Oct-2013, 14:23
The Speed Mat is the cat's meow, and I've got one at the top of my wish list. It will save space, do the job faster with less errors, as well as mitigate wear and tear on my aging fingers. I had a prototype of one many years ago. Fletcher's attempted copy of the Esterly seems to be a thing of the past. A few frame shops have sold off their basic Esterly cutters quite reasonably when they switched to computerized machines, but alas, never close enough to warrant me driving to pick them up. (I'd want to examine condition before committing to purchase - I have been burned on the auction site a couple times before, in that respect).

bill2424
7-Oct-2013, 15:19
I've had a Speed Mat for at least 15 years and its one of the best pieces of equipment I have ever purchased. I know several other people that use Speed Mats and they would tell you the same thing. Its really nice to have it mounted on the wall and not taking up counter space. I bought the 40"x60" cutter and am glad I did, you never know when you might want to cut something big.

Bill

Dave Hally
8-Oct-2013, 08:38
Darin, I made my own rig for cutting down large sheets. Basically a half sheet of 1/2" plywood, with a straight edge along the bottom and a hinged 90 degree guide at one side. The guide has an aluminum track for my mat cutter blade holder, which came with a smaller mat cutter. It works very well for sizing mats and could very easily cut the openings also.
Dave Hally

Drew Wiley
8-Oct-2013, 09:37
Nice idea, Dave... but a Speedmat makes it about a thousand times easier (costs a bit more too).

Leigh
8-Oct-2013, 14:05
You should be able to wall-mount almost any mat cutter.

The only concern would be with a cutter that had any component(s) held in place by gravity.
That would be a pretty poor design to start with.

- Leigh

Tin Can
8-Oct-2013, 14:12
In art school 15 years ago, one instructor made it a requirement for his drawing class we learn to do mats, deckel, mounting by hand. A blade, straight edge and a "paper holder downer" as he called it were the tools. Nothing else.

photobymike
8-Oct-2013, 15:08
I had a Fletcher cutter mounted on the wall ...sold the cutter and the wall mount is still there. I have found that having my mats custom cut saved me money over having the cutter. I was not good at cutting mats, in fact i was so bad that when i got the mat i wanted i had spent twice of what a custom cut mat would have cost in mistakes and mis-cuts.... Unless you are good at this it will cost you moe money.... To be fair i use only 8 ply mat material which is really hard to cut. Now i only use Neilson Pre cut mats from Blick art supplies ... saves me time and money.... just a thought from someone that has been down that road for about 1500 dollars.... then did a u turn...

Drew Wiley
8-Oct-2013, 15:28
Try cutting a hundred in a row that way, Randy. It's like trying to paint a house with a toothbrush.

Tin Can
8-Oct-2013, 15:35
I use store bought, just like Mike. :) And I don't sell anything.

Try cutting a hundred in a row that way, Randy. It's like trying to paint a house with a toothbrush.

Drew Wiley
8-Oct-2013, 16:09
One of the wonderful features of the Speedmat is that you lock your settings for all four corners, and then don't get any overcut (past the corner), undercut, or
lack of squareness. I had an early one which I eventually sold because, way back then, it didn't do thick mats very well. Now they certainly do. But a thousand bucks just gives you a nice ordinary linear cutter (like one which I've totally worn out), not a Speedmat. Need a better stuffed piggy bank for a new one of those.
But even buying matboard in bulk wholesale, just screwing up a ten buck sheet here and there starts adding up fast. And I think my fingers need some help before I get hopelessly arthritic, like my dad did in his old age. A long day of matcutting with a conventional cutter is pretty exhausting, and when I get tired I do stupid things, like measuring incorrectly. Never mind... just talking to myself... But I convinced myself quite awhile back that I need one of these machines.

Leszek Vogt
8-Oct-2013, 19:28
Darin, I thought C&H was in your neck of the woods, no ? They have nice cutters. I bought one from them (used) and later sold it for more than I paid. I thought they had an affiliate in or near Oakland. But, with all the web offerings, who knows what remained of the phys places from the 80's ?

Les