PDA

View Full Version : Questions about:Ilex Paragon Anastigmat Lens 7 1/2 Inch f4.5, Ilex No 3 Acme Synchro

photobymike
6-Oct-2013, 11:07
I just bought this lens and i have some questions about it..

Is the retaining ring on this shutter the same size and thread as other no3 shutters? i need to find a retaining ring for it.....

Is this a good portrait lens for 4x5?

What is the thread size for filters if it even has threads? how do do filters fit on this lens ...series push on adapter maybe?

I did my due diligence on google but there is not any clear opinions or info i could find.
Am looking for someone that might have experience with this lens who can tell me more.......

thanks for your input...

Fotoguy20d
6-Oct-2013, 20:38
It should be the same ring size as any other Ilex #3 but it's different from the Alphax/Betax 3, the Copal 3, Supermatic 3, etc. The paragons are Tessar type, but don't get much live for some reason. I have the 6" one in a #3. they're decent enough lenses. the length you have isn't a bad portrait length for 4x5. tessars are soft wide open, particularly in the corners but sharp at f22-ish.

Dan

pasiasty
7-Oct-2013, 06:37
maybe SK Grimmes' page (http://www.skgrimes.com/products/mounting-flanges/u-s-a-stock-flanges) helps

Michael Graves
7-Oct-2013, 08:26
I have one of these as well. It is a very nice lens, although I do tend to use my 8 1/2" more often. As a portrait lens, it will be fine as long as you like moderately short focal lengths for your portrait images. It's only a hair longer than "normal" and some would consider it a normal lens. It requires a Series 7 filter adapter, which should be easy enough to get. There is both a screw-in and a push-on adapter available. As Dan mentions, the Paragons are slightly soft wide open and rapidly get tack sharp closed down. Where I part ways with him is in how quickly it sharpens the image when stopping down. I suppose they vary from sample to sample. By f11, mine is quite sharp. It does use a standard Ilex #3 thread. This is not the same as a Copal #3. What you don't want is the Eastman Ilex #3. The thread pitch is different.

photobymike
7-Oct-2013, 12:43
Thanks everybody ..and i have been to the skgrimmes page......i can see now that i will need to order the retaining ring from skgrimmes ..it is like chicken lips..hard to find.. ...Does anybody know what the filter thread size and pitch is for this lens? is it metric or american? can i just get a filter step up adapter and be done....? size in mm? or what size is the push on series 7 adapter? i have looked and cannot find this information for this lens. or maybe as one email put it super glue a filter adapter on... which i am not opposed to doing if it saves some real shekels

photobymike
7-Oct-2013, 13:48
I have an update to my search for information on the Paragon and ilex. There is a website called www.filterfind.net that has some very useful information. It is worth a look

rorye
18-Feb-2014, 19:57
I have an update to my search for information on the Paragon and ilex. There is a website called www.filterfind.net that has some very useful information. It is worth a look

Hi Mike, Did you find the retaining ring? I have one on mine, I'm happy to take measurements if you need.

photobymike
18-Feb-2014, 20:01
Actually i bought a lens and shutter with one on it ...thanks
Boy is this a cool lens