PDA

View Full Version : Info/value on Gudlach Korona VI Special

dhsellsworth
3-Oct-2013, 21:25
Hey there,
New to the forum, and looking for some advice since I'm new to all of this. I recently came into a collection of antique cameras that have been in my family storage for years, the best (I think) being this beautiful Korona VI Special. It is in great condition, but does not have the lens. I have done a ton of research trying to get an idea of how much it is worth, but have been unable to find this specific model. I would like to put it up for sale once I have a good idea of its value.

I also found a couple of antique lenses that I may post in the lens forum once I clean them up a little, including a Gunlach-Manhattan 9in Equal Diffusion lens and a brass O.H. Peck engraved 6.5"x8.5" lens. I also found what I believe to be is a Seneca Competitor 2 camera, but I am doing more research on that.

Anyway, any advice or knowledge would be much appreciated, and thanks in advance!

Steven Tribe
4-Oct-2013, 00:57
This was made between 1896 and 1902.
Like almost all companies at this time, there was an awful lot of amalgamation of companies. Grundlach joined with Korona in 1892 and then with Manhattan in 1902.
This is a long focus cycle type camera - for the "serious amateur". I can't find this particular model in the catalogues on-line. You should try and find a catalogue from around 1898. All these camera are well designed and with a very good finish - if they have been looked after. They were were usually made in all sizes between 4x5" and 8x10". Value is not dramatic, but will depend on condition, size and presence of plate holders.

goamules
4-Oct-2013, 07:21
Yeah, they're nicely made cameras, but don't sell for much because their holders are often a special type (especially if it's a wholeplate size like I think this is), and they can't hold a large lens. I would sell all the other ones, and keep this nicer one as a souvenir of your family. I typically see these for $100-200, and keeping it as an antique conversation piece is worth more than that.

Tin Can
4-Oct-2013, 07:32
Very interesting camera. I agree keep it. But fold it up mostly to keep the condition. These were extremely well made, I have a more common one I really like, and I use it with original holders and lens.

dhsellsworth
5-Oct-2013, 09:40
I was finally able to find it online, I believe this is the model:
http://piercevaubel.com/cam/nonview/gundmankoronaviroyal.htm
It says: " In the 1903 Gennert catalog, pages 27-29 describe the Korona VI Special (what the label on this camera says) and pages 30-31 describe the Korona VI Royal. The cameras (and engravings in the catalog are the same; the only difference between them is that the Special was fitted with a "Rectigraphic" lens (rapid rectilinear type) and the Royal was fitted with a more expensive double anastigmat lens (choice of Ross Homocentric, B&L Plastigmat, Zeiss VIIa, Goerz Dagor or a Collinear III). This example has a label that says it is a Korona VI Special, but has a Goerz Dagor lens that implies Royal. Either the camera was a Special fitted later with the Dagor or or Gundlach-Manhattan was not in the habit of changing the label."

Anyway, I thought I would post a picture of the other side of it. Two of the lenses I found seem to be fitted and screwed into cardboard that is the same size as the "lens area" - perhaps it was jimmy-rigged to use these lenses back in the day? Is it possible to use lenses like this with this camera?

Thanks everyone for your input, its much appreciated.

Tin Can
5-Oct-2013, 09:58
Well, now if you are hooked, enjoy a great hobby.

Good luck!

Steven Tribe
5-Oct-2013, 10:39
All the corresponding cycle cameras catalogues I have seen give a list of alternative lenses which can be fitted "at extra cost $x". So this would have been fitted in the retail shop when it was new. The Zeiss series VIIa would have been nice as this would have provided 2 or 3 quality focal lengths.