PDA

View Full Version : Oh what a blast, the projected rangefinder images work on my Crown Graphic

Vick Ko
3-Oct-2013, 19:16
Oh what a blast, the projected rangefinder images work on my Crown Graphic!

Not quite like the red laser sight crosses like in action films, but near enough.

And the images align to the RF. Amazing little bit of technology.

Ivan J. Eberle
4-Oct-2013, 15:58
Kalart Synchronized RF or Crown Top RF?

Vick Ko
4-Oct-2013, 16:07
Top mounted.

Ivan J. Eberle
4-Oct-2013, 17:35
Did you find a way to mount one interally?

Vick Ko
4-Oct-2013, 18:53
It is the way it came. No modifications done.

goamules
5-Oct-2013, 06:17
Vick is talking about the Kalart FocusSpot addon, where a lightbulb inside the rangefinder projects two dots onto the subject to help focus in low light settings.
http://lommen9.home.xs4all.nl/focuspot/

Vick Ko
5-Oct-2013, 06:53
I thought they would be dots too, but the projected image isn't dots. It looks more like eyebrows or a curved comb.
Or the curved coiled filament of the bulb. But both images are identical, one dimmer than the other.

wombat2go
5-Oct-2013, 06:59
The Speed 4x5 here has it integrated in the top Graflex Rangefinder.
I am using this camera with the RH/8 back and 75, 55mm lenses and undecided whether to try to change its standard 135mm cam.

Jac@stafford.net
5-Oct-2013, 08:13
I thought they would be dots too, but the projected image isn't dots. It looks more like eyebrows or a curved comb.
Or the curved coiled filament of the bulb. But both images are identical, one dimmer than the other.

The image is the bulb's filament.

Ivan J. Eberle
5-Oct-2013, 10:28
It can pretty readily be bright red dots that are visible in daylight with just about an LED red laser pointer module. I retrofitted one into a Kalart Focuspot.

Henricus
5-Oct-2013, 15:43
Oh what a blast, the projected rangefinder images work on my Crown Graphic!

Not quite like the red laser sight crosses like in action films, but near enough.

And the images align to the RF. Amazing little bit of technology.

Mine has one, but I think the bulb is out. I haven't had the nerve to unscrew it and check. Has anyone done this before?

best,

goamules
5-Oct-2013, 18:33
It doesn't take a lot of nerve to change a lightbulb! Yeah, I've done it.

Henricus
6-Oct-2013, 06:55
It doesn't take a lot of nerve to change a lightbulb! Yeah, I've done it.

It never ceases to amaze me how cheeky anonymous posters can be online. I was referring to opening the rangefinder box. I didn't want to open it without knowing what I was affecting. Obviously, I can change a light bulb.

goamules
6-Oct-2013, 07:45
Man, wake up on the wrong side of the bed, eh? It never ceases to amaze me how aggressively combative newcomers to the forum are.

Jac@stafford.net
6-Oct-2013, 08:06
Henricus is almost certainly concerned with the internal 'focuspot', not the external one. It is prudent not to hack into something without experience (but I do it).

Is it properly powered?

Henricus
6-Oct-2013, 08:47
Man, wake up on the wrong side of the bed, eh? It never ceases to amaze me how aggressively combative newcomers to the forum are.

That is not what is at issue. Most folks at least try to be civil in public places, especially with strangers. This place is no exception. I take issue with sarcastic remarks made at my expense especially with people I don't know. As for being a combative newcomer, that may be, but I have been nothing but a gentleman with all my missives and would never treat a new person in such a fashion. I do not take kindly to being insulted, most people don't. That is all I will say on this subject as this is not the place for it.

Jac@stafford.net
6-Oct-2013, 15:44
That is not what is at issue. Most folks at least try to be civil in public places, [...]

We are actually okay. Stay here. All settles out.

Michael Carter
18-Nov-2016, 22:29
My Anniversary 4x5 has a Kalart side finder with the hole on top that accepts the Focuspot. I really want one. That hole is the only way I can see through the rangefinder to focus. The rear peep tube has only worked in a darkened room aimed at a recessed ceiling light. It is useless in daylight. Except through the top. The hole has notches in the sides.

Leigh
18-Nov-2016, 23:21
The rear peep tube has only worked in a darkened room aimed at a recessed ceiling light.
Then you have an obstruction (serious dust???) in the optical system.

That viewing tube looks through a semi-silvered mirror and a simple lens. That's all.

The image should be as bright as when looking with your unaided eye.

The hole on the top has nothing to do with viewing. It's for a light source.

Here's a manual for the rangefinder.
http://www.atwaterkent.info/Images/Kalart_instr.pdf

The angled mirror I mentioned above is readily visible in Figure F.

- Leigh

Michael Carter
19-Nov-2016, 07:58
Thank you Leigh, the camera will go to the camera doctor after I've finished evaluating it.
Michael