PDA

View Full Version : Can anybody put a number on this Century Studio Camera?

Steven Tribe
3-Oct-2013, 13:14
This is another Century sold long ago in Europe without the usual maker's plate. So now I have two of them.
The lens board is 9x9" type. I believe the side metal plates in front are an old repair to the front standard. The existing opening at the back is 10x10", I think.
Any ideas? Thanks!
No, I didn't bid for the (2a?) Stand!

patrickth
3-Oct-2013, 13:32
102936102937Looks like a Fulmer Schwing Division of Kodak. Look in the catalog at both Fulmer and Century. Yours looks to have the copy attachment. they also had a focal plane shutter option. I would put it around 1912 or thereabouts.

http://www.piercevaubel.com/cam/ekc.htm

Drew Bedo
3-Oct-2013, 14:20
So now you have a pair. . .like The Guns Of Navarone!

Steven Tribe
3-Oct-2013, 14:51
Checking Percevaubel's other Century/Eastman catalogues, I think that the 9a fits the bill best. 9x9 board and an intermediate standard. The metal strengthening must be later additions - perhaps a bad Atlantic crossing to France!

eddie
6-Oct-2013, 07:59
that does not look like the "regular" stand. the caps on the stanchions are different as is the height adjusting wheel.

that being said it apers to be the larger of teh two stands. so that may be an 11x14 camera. it looks a lot bigger than a regular 9a 8x10 camera.

here is a video showing a 10a studio camera on a 2a (11x14) stand. the 8x10 studio 10a and 9a cameras are essentially the same size cameras

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ihlx2XYh50

jnantz
6-Oct-2013, 19:08
hi steven

if you haven't found this place it might help
http://www.historiccamera.com/cgi-bin/librarium2/pm.cgi?action=app_display&app=datasheet&app_id=1462

nice camera(stand too).
john

Gundlach
6-Oct-2013, 20:20
The opening for the back does not look like a Century I don't see the spring catch for the backs, normally located top center... Ansco's had the three standards ( Like the 9A) but they had a catch much like the Century. Anthony perhaps?

Steven Tribe
7-Oct-2013, 06:01
Many thanks for your time, links and videos! Much appreciated.

I'll be able to post more later this week when it arrives.
Just made the weight limit of 20 kilos for Colissimo - shipping from France is very reasonable. The Stand has been relisted.

Steven Tribe
7-Oct-2013, 09:30
I have looked really hard at the slightly blurred photo and come to the conclusion that neither the stand or camera is Century. Post caps are wrong for the stand and the rear swing has a central control rather than out at the side. And, if the bellows are original (or near copies), the pleats are too shallow.

eddie
7-Oct-2013, 10:56
I have looked really hard at the slightly blurred photo and come to the conclusion that neither the stand or camera is Century. Post caps are wrong for the stand and the rear swing has a central control rather than out at the side. And, if the bellows are original (or near copies), the pleats are too shallow.

not sure....from gth epicture in the OP the swing looks like it is in the right place....that middle knob is tilt.....

i agree about the stand....but still not 100% about the camera......could be a century.....but the attachment for the back is not right......hhhmmm?

when will it arrive?

Steven Tribe
7-Oct-2013, 12:07
Here are some more underimpressive photos - nice foliage though!
I don't think they shead more light on it, but someone may have eagle eyes.
The extra plate in front is obviously a repair - of which I believe there are several!

Gundlach
8-Oct-2013, 05:01
Hmm... Knob on front standard. Recessed lock knobs on bed extension. Metal reinforcements look original to camera. Nothing that speaks "Century or Ansco". G

eddie
8-Oct-2013, 05:11
i say century camera

Steven Tribe
20-Oct-2013, 12:41
It finally arrived - with no new damage!

It must be a Century - apart from some variation in the timbers used, the woodwork is identical to the Century I have.
The reinforcements don't reinforce! It must be a marketing addition from Kodak or Folmer to increase acceptibility in the European market that was used to metal monsters (which work exceptional well).
All control knobs are metal. The front rise works through a concealed system which was obviously there from the start - again, the usual system on Görlitz type cameras.
The back (which surfaced after the original posting!) is a long sliding carriage with place for the ground glass holder and a frame for mounting 18x24cm holders.

The narrow pleat leather bellows are an obvious replacement for the original wide pleat ones from Century as the mat black paint shows the original outline.