PDA

View Full Version : Instant Film

ShannonG
30-Sep-2013, 16:29
So,,,,, im onto my last box of polaroid type 54 film that i had stashed away in the fridge. I haven't yet looked into a good replacement for instant film sense Polaroid went out of bizz. Ive never used any other brand of instant film. Anny suggestions on a instant film equivalent to polaroid type 54,that works in my current 4X5 Polaroid back. I knew this day was coming and have used my Polaroids very conservatively,but now its time to move on.Thanks for any advice.
Shannon

gregmo
30-Sep-2013, 16:59
Have you looked into The Impossible Project?

HoodedOne
30-Sep-2013, 17:02
There's currently no replacement for T54, or any 4x5 instant film.
Your best bet, is hoping that New55 is finding the money for this new T55 film.

smithdoor
30-Sep-2013, 18:54
who has new film for the old 545 Polaroid back

adelorenzo
30-Sep-2013, 21:40
There is no 4x5 instant film available except what little expired stuff comes up for sale on eBay or elsewhere and it sells for a lot of money. Impossible has no plans or equipment for 4x5 and the New 55 project has gone dormant.

Darin Boville
30-Sep-2013, 23:23
Of course, there is the slightly smaller pack film, widely available and cheap...

--Darin

HoodedOne
1-Oct-2013, 01:59
Darin is right. But the choice in film is limited (100 color & 3000 b/w). And you need a Polaroid 405 holder (or equivalent). And prices on those have risen lately. Prices of $200.- or more are not uncommon on eBay. It took me over 6 months to find one, at a acceptable price.

ShannonG
1-Oct-2013, 06:10
Thanks for the information,Looks like my instant film shooting days are coming to an end.

EdSawyer
1-Oct-2013, 09:37
don't give up so easily. It's out there. It just costs more (time and $).

Jim C.
1-Oct-2013, 13:03
Seems there's a lot of pent up demand for 4x5 instant, too bad Impossible if focusing more on SX-70 type film.
What's the status of their 8x10 ?

HoodedOne
1-Oct-2013, 13:28
I ordered a Impossible Instant Lab, and some b/w film to use in it. When the Instant Lab arrived it had a note with the following text.

"Unfortunately, we are currently facing unexpected supply issues with one of the key components for our black&white films.
Right now we are developing an entirely new black and white film formula, using a freshly sourced component, and we hope to bring these new b&w materials to market in the second half of September, 2013."

On a topic on the Impossible flickr page this date is moved to Oktober/November. And they mention that they working on a new Color formula. (all film in the new package design will have a new formula)

With all this work on their sx70/600/spectra film I guess the 8x10 plans are delayed further. The 8x10 b/w is still available. But the color version, should've been released by now.

adelorenzo
1-Oct-2013, 13:45
I haven't heard anything about the Impossible 8x10 B&W film, not sure if it would be affected by the changes to the integral films. Also if you check out the Impossible 8x10 group on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/groups/impossible8x10/) people are posting shots with the colour version so it's in testing stage at least.

The biggest reason they aren't doing 4x5 is they don't have any of the machinery and all the remaining ones were destroyed.

HoodedOne
1-Oct-2013, 13:52
Impossible 8x10 Color, has been in the testing stage since March.