PDA

View Full Version : CC Harrison Serial # 181. The one that got away.....

CCHarrison
30-Sep-2013, 12:28
Please see the story at my blog

http://antiquecameras.net/blog.html

Best
Dan

http://antiquecameras.net/images/595_ccharrison181.jpg

BarryS
30-Sep-2013, 12:55
There's got to be a part of you saying--"man, I dodged a bullet on that one." Probably headed off to Asia.

Steven Tribe
30-Sep-2013, 13:17
I do understand the lure of low serial numbers, just! But I do note the super condition - far better than the "brown" CC Harrison's I have seen.

"outbid me by $ 100"

Perhaps, but his last bid could have been a lot higher. E**y just put the regulation increment on top.

Still this must be a dent in American pride. The UK has a regulation that allows an export stop on any item sold within the UK "which has national importance" so that institutions can match the amount and gain ownership. There was a widely published case last month when a piece of Jewelry owned by Jane Austin was "transfered" from an American singer to a UK museum.

CCHarrison
30-Sep-2013, 13:50
There's got to be a part of you saying--"man, I dodged a bullet on that one." Probably headed off to Asia.

Well, the bullet I dodged was from my wife's gun :cool:

Given I own an early Voigtlander ( # 611 ), I really wanted to add this to my collection.... but I have purchased a couple of complete Daguerreotype cameras for less than $ 8,353 !

Perhaps # 182 will come along soon...

Dan

TheToadMen
30-Sep-2013, 14:44
Or #180 ...

Soomuu
30-Sep-2013, 19:16
Was going to bid on this lens too...

Jac@stafford.net
1-Oct-2013, 04:53
Auction item # 190917865344 Ser # 803.

I realize that after your close encounter, Dan, # 803 is almost as far away as infinity.

CCHarrison
1-Oct-2013, 07:02
To be honest, that engraving is a bit suspect...

Dan

Jody_S
1-Oct-2013, 07:48
Too rich for my blood. At some point (well below $8K), I have to say: "It's just another lens."

Corran
2-Oct-2013, 07:07
Serious question here. Good for you if you've got the dosh to do it. But why did you have a bidding war? Why did you not just snipe the auction?

I found the auction in question. His original bid was $1400.25. If you would've just used a sniping program, or bid yourself in the last few seconds, you would've won the auction for ~$1500. Of course he could've raised his original bid at some point but regardless, I doubt he would've plopped an $8k bid with no other bidders present. I'm guessing a snipe at $3k-$4k would've won the auction handily, even if some other bidders came in.

CCHarrison
2-Oct-2013, 08:05
Corran,

No argument with your logic. I jumped the gun and bid too early. I dont love sniping tools and think they should be banned. I do like some auctions that extend the auction time when bids are received in the last few minutes.

Dan

Sevo
2-Oct-2013, 08:15
I doubt he would've plopped an $8k bid with no other bidders present

Unless he used a sniping tool, or is a dealer acting on commission of a client and was well below the limit set by the latter (if the dealer gets some percentage on the price rather than a fixed fee, he'd have little reason to go out of his way to keep prices low).

Corran
2-Oct-2013, 08:53
Well either way, a bidding war benefits no one but the seller. So hey, good for them...

Brassai
2-Oct-2013, 19:00
Sometimes people really want something and will put sky high bids just to thwart the snipers. A few weeks ago there was a c.1909 postcard of a threshing scene that I really wanted. At the last few seconds someone put in a bid of $45, almost double what I had bid earlier. Unfortunately for him, I really wanted that photo and had put in an early bid of $300. Is the card worth that much? No, not really.

goamules
3-Oct-2013, 06:17
I'm just glad to see the early American lenses are coming back into popularity. It's surprising that extremely high quality daguerreotype lenses made by American companies for only a couple decades sell for less than extremely common British makers that were made for 60 years in the tens of thousands. But that auction was an aberration, I've seen other nice radials, early, go for less.