PDA

View Full Version : rattling glass

andrewch59
30-Sep-2013, 00:24
Hi, looking for advice on a loose element in the rear air spaced pair of my cabinet portrait lens. Had my 8X10 out on the weekend taking a couple of tintype exposures, I had a quick look at the lens on my return and heard a rattle, took the rear lens group out and the inner of the spaced pair is rattling in its housing. Not having the experience in taking the glass out of the housing thought it might be prudent to ask the professionals, rather than try on my own and end up with a lens with lots of chipped edges. I cant find any kind of retainer for the glass and have tried giving the rim a squeeze to firm it up. Any advice please?102747102748102749

Steven Tribe
30-Sep-2013, 01:15
My understanding of this rear pair is that both lenses are in separate mounts which scew together? The same way as the Dallmeyer series A, B and D?
Some objective cells do have pressure rings which are very hard to confirm are present. But this is mostly with achromats rather than simple lenses like these.
My advice (as a non-professional!) would be to use Canada Balsam to fill up the gap between the brass lip and the top surface of the lens.
I have done this recently with an achromat mount where I didn't want to turn down the brass lip completely, so that problem-free future repairs would be possible.

lenser
30-Sep-2013, 08:11
First advice would be to find a couple of those give away rubber pad grippers that are often called jar openers and can be found as give-aways from banks and other businesses. Anyone in your area who offers business promotional items should have samples on hand. Put the lens groups between two of those and try to gently screw them back together. Most likely, you have two retaining rings that bare hands have trouble gripping.

If that doesn't work, I would find someone who specializes in lens repair and consult them. Go to the Flutot's Camera Repair web site and look into Carol's vast array of links. I believe that there are a few resources there.

andrewch59
1-Oct-2013, 01:35
First advice would be to find a couple of those give away rubber pad grippers that are often called jar openers and can be found as give-aways from banks and other businesses. Anyone in your area who offers business promotional items should have samples on hand. Put the lens groups between two of those and try to gently screw them back together. Most likely, you have two retaining rings that bare hands have trouble gripping.

If that doesn't work, I would find someone who specializes in lens repair and consult them. Go to the Flutot's Camera Repair web site and look into Carol's vast array of links. I believe that there are a few resources there.

Thanks for the advice, my first instinct was to get a bit of material glue, which dries clear and stays pliable, and coat just under the turned over lip to cushion the lens. Will check Flutot's Camera Repair site first

andrewch59
1-Oct-2013, 03:36
Thanks for the advice, my first instinct was to get a bit of material glue, which dries clear and stays pliable, and coat just under the turned over lip to cushion the lens. Will check Flutot's Camera Repair site first

andrewch59
1-Oct-2013, 03:41
I used the material craft glue, folded a piece of paper a few times to stiffen it up, smeared the glue very thinly on the end of the paper then slid the paper gently past the rim of the element repeated this until I had circled the element and allowed it to dry. No rattle, no mess and a quick rub removes any excess.