PDA

View Full Version : What's going to cost...

John Kasaian
28-Sep-2013, 07:58
...to get into a large Format "kit" these days?
I got my stuff for pennies on the dollar when everyone was migrating to digital photography, but what's the situation today?
I get asked this often when I'm set up in an area where tourists frequent.
If you wanted to acquire, say, a 4x5, a tripod, some holders, a light meter and one lens on a budget, what would you look for and how much do you think it would cost? And where would you suggest looking for it?

IanG
28-Sep-2013, 08:11
I'd advise looking on Forums like this one or APUG.

You could get a field camera or monorail, a lens, light meter and tripod. A Cambo monorail plus a 203mm Ektar or similar plus a couple of darkslides should be about £200/$310, and a reasonable tripod and meter would be less than £100/$155. There have been some bargain filed cameras on this forum it's a better place for buyers than ebay.

Ian

MIke Sherck
28-Sep-2013, 08:24
I'd look at MPEX, KEH, Ebay. Like you, I got into this inexpensively when the wave was digital and film cameras were falling dramatically in price. Prices for 4x5 gear are still pretty reasonable,in my book although prices seem to have gone up a bit for 8x10 and larger. My least expensive purchase of 4x5 gear came about six or so years ago: a Calumet CC-400 4x5 monorail from Ebay for $37.50 (including shipping!) and a older Fujinon 150mm f/6.3 lens in Seiko shutter for $67. Plastic Lisco, Fidelity, Riteway etc. film holders are widely available for $5 each, sometimes less. My focusing loupes were free, in exchange for helping someone carry auction goods out to their car. I just got a third Bogen tripod with head off local Craigslist for $40. My main 4x5 camera is a Wisner-made Zone VI I bought a few years ago from Midwest Photo for $440. I'd probably have to pay closer to $600 to get one from a retail source now but there are still serious bargains out there if you are patient and resourceful, especially if you're willing to use a monorail or an older camera. Prices of 150mm and 210mm lenses are the lowest I've ever seen and $200 will buy choice from a wide assortment of lenses on Ebay. I think that one could put together an excellent, modern kit for under $1000 easily and under $400 if clever. If you're determined, I'll bet you could put together a one-lens monorail kit for $200 or less.

Mike

Terry Moore
28-Sep-2013, 08:26
The bargains continue to be available. With a bit of work and patience and depending on want they want someone should be able to get started for $150-$400 for body, lens, film holders, meter and a tripod if needed.

smithdoor
28-Sep-2013, 10:05
How close are you to clovis ca
I will be selling cut film holder soon for less than $10.00 each
I become more luck on the cost on finding a 4x5 camera try Pawnshops and Ebay

Good luck
Dave

Mark Sawyer
28-Sep-2013, 10:43
I'd first ask around. Few people get into large format in a vacuum; usually the buyer will have friends in the lf area, or be in some sort of photo club or group, or be taking classes. Asking in the right circles often turns something up. If there's a local yearly camera show, that's a prime place.

Barring that, Craigslist, ebay, or forums like this. There are many bargains out there. Most of them are local (no matter where you are), simply because someone selling at a bargain price doesn't want to go to the hassle of packing and shipping. (Which also eats into the bargain price.) I think Terry's range of $150 to $400 for a full 4x5 kit is reasonable, with $150 being the low end for a cheap monorail.

John Kasaian
28-Sep-2013, 11:24
I'm not in the market for any more gear, I'm just looking for answers to give folks when they ask me.
Thanks

Alan Gales
28-Sep-2013, 13:49
John, like Mike says you can pick up old monorails off Ebay for $50.00 and even less. You can buy real nice later model Cambo/Calumets for $200.00 and less, original Sinar F for $300.00 or a Sinar P for $500.00.

A real nice late model Crown Graphic with lens will cost $400.00 or more (everyone says they are overpriced at this time). Older Crowns and Speeds are less and depend upon condition.

You can buy a nice wooden folder for $600.00.

You can buy normal focal length lenses in Copal shutters for $200.00.

Of course buying on the cheap you need to be patient and if you can buy someone's complete kit you can do even better.

This is what I have seen on Ebay. Craigslist should be even cheaper.

Alan Gales
28-Sep-2013, 14:04
I have seen some real good deals on mint film holders still in boxes occasionally on Ebay. Well used ones should sell for $5.00 a piece.

It's hard to beat an old Leitz Tiltall if you have a Crown/Speed Graphic or wooden 4x5 field camera. You can buy these off Ebay for less than $100.00 plus shipping. Sellers practically give away tripods on Craigslist because they don't want to fool with shipping.

Light meters can be as cheap as just using your 35mm, digital camera, or phone app. I use Pentax Digital Spotmeters and a Minolta Flash Meter 4 but you should be able to buy a good used incident meter off Ebay or somewhere else for cheap.

C_Remington
28-Sep-2013, 14:15
Really? You've on this forum for twelve years and you can't guess how much a kit costs and where to get it?????????????????

adelorenzo
28-Sep-2013, 21:43
I got everything I needed to start in large format at our local camera swap where I paid $125 for a Toyo monorail, Rodenstock lens, stack of film holders (everything like new) and a full box of TMax 100. I already had a darkroom setup so I was ready to go and tray developed my first film.

Of course, since that time my investment has grown significantly... :rolleyes:

C. D. Keth
28-Sep-2013, 23:10
I think you could be shooting for $500 without buying trash. There are a lot of monorails going unused that I see not selling for prices of $100-150. Stick with the caltar name of lenses and you get some real gems for $150-$200.

Alan Gales
28-Sep-2013, 23:50
Chris, lately I saw several Caltar ll-E 210mm f/6.8 lenses in Copal 1 shutters which sold for less than $100.00 on Ebay. I couldn't believe it. I know you posted a nice portrait with one. I love mine and it even folds up in my Crown Graphic.

jnantz
29-Sep-2013, 05:43
hi john

a tiltall tripod goes for about 75$ film holders 5-10$ each
dark cloth is pretty much free ...
lenses anything from 20$ to a few hundred for a 150 ..
the cameras can be had for 50-100$ too

i guess you can suggest to people that
one can "get into lf photography" for 250$ if they
hunt around and don't mind old rickety stuff ..
or as you know the sky is the limit sometimes ...

Drew Bedo
30-Sep-2013, 06:14
If you are willing to use older gear to get started off with, I think a shooting kit can be put together for much less than $1000 . . .much less if the bar is low enough.

It all depends on how pretty you want your stuff to be, and what you want to do.

Right now, Burk & James camera gear seems to be pretty low on The 'Bay. The convertable Shymmars are selling for much less than I paid for mine in the '90s too. I feel that there is a glut of film holders in 4x5.

The press cameras can be had for <400 depending on condition and lens. Kodak 2D gear seems a little higher now (wish I had an extension rail for mine).

Once in a while you can find a complete Zone VI kit (camera, lens, holders and more) offered for under $1500. . . .with a bag. A Zone VI body runs ~ $700-$900 by its self.

Any of this rambling any help to you?

As I get older, it seems that anything I want to buy icosts more than I want to pay . . .and anything I want to sell is worth less than when I bought it!

Drew Bedo
30-Sep-2013, 06:27
Really? You've on this forum for twelve years and you can't guess how much a kit costs and where to get it?????????????????

C'Mon now—everybody play nice.

jk0592
30-Sep-2013, 07:11
Getting in 4x5 for relatively little money is not so difficult. However, the cost of operating the 4x5 system will very quickly surpass the 300 to 400 USD, at more than 80$ for 50 sheets of BW film, plus chemistry to develop. So I think it is not fair to lure people in LF on the basis that (used) gear is plentiful and cheap...The operating costs are very high.

Kirk Gittings
30-Sep-2013, 07:17
C'Mon now—everybody play nice.

I have to say that I was a bit perplexed by the OP's question too. 12 years, 6,000+ posts, I always thought John was one of the more experienced people here?

Ari
30-Sep-2013, 07:20
I have to say that I was a bit perplexed by the OP's question too. 12 years, 6,000+ posts, I always thought John was one of the more experienced people here?

True, but it may be that John needs some up-to-date information, since prices have fluctuated in the last 12 years.

Alan Gales
30-Sep-2013, 11:54
I'm a small time Ebay Seller of medium and large format equipment, mostly. In the last few years some things have really gone up and other things have really gone down in price.

For example just look at the recent high prices of clean late model Crown Graphics or 14" Commercial Ektar lenses. Conversely, when I sold my sweet Bronica 150mm lens for S and EC series medium format cameras I got less than $100.00 for it and that included shipping!

C. D. Keth
30-Sep-2013, 22:08
Chris, lately I saw several Caltar ll-E 210mm f/6.8 lenses in Copal 1 shutters which sold for less than $100.00 on Ebay. I couldn't believe it. I know you posted a nice portrait with one. I love mine and it even folds up in my Crown Graphic.

That lens really gets no respect. It's essentially a cooke triplet by design.

This was taken with mine, which cost less than $100, at ƒ8:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8493/8385885316_2bcb189062_c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/cdketh/8385885316/)
Devore; 2012 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/cdketh/8385885316/) by CKeth (http://www.flickr.com/people/cdketh/), on Flickr

Professional
1-Oct-2013, 06:23
How about one of those two?

https://www.badgergraphic.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=121

https://www.badgergraphic.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=2619

I bought the first kit one [HZX] in the past and it was coming with Rodenstock Sironar N-150mm, can't remember if it was including the holders, but it is a good starter for me, and i upgrade slowly from there.

Ivan J. Eberle
2-Oct-2013, 12:54
If you can't put together some decent full camera kit with at least one lens for <$500 USD today, I'd be surprised.
I spent at least 3X that much some 5+ years ago for a camera and 3 spectacularly great lenses. But the cost of used gear seemed a bargain even then especially compared to the cost of color film and chemistry the first year. I'd suggest budget a grand or more to learn LF, even if coming from other photo disciplines. Scanning or wet darkroom? Another $200-500 for a decent Epson flatbed scanner seems a likely outlay. If having scans done by someone else, costs go up exponentially.
Camera gear-wise, it seems entirely possible to get in and out of gear for very close to what you paid for it or even a little more (if judicious about buying classic high-volume studio gear and cheap but pro-level plasmats, at least). The foregoing seems to be due to the recent upsurge in interest in film in high schools and local colleges.

John Kasaian
2-Oct-2013, 20:11
I haven't bought any gear in quite some time and I avoid even looking at eBay so I won't be tempted.
I was photographing at Ft Tejon and on two separate occasions people approached me wanting to know how to "get into" LF photography and especially how much it would cost.
What should I tell them(other than to read up on the subject right here?)
I've put together kits for one friend and for both my kids as well as for instructional use in a workshop for seniors (and a couple for my own use of course) but that was quite while back and I didn't know what the current tab is for good "user" cameras.
That's why I asked:o

Vaughn
2-Oct-2013, 20:18
I figured John was starting sort of a poll rather than asking for himself.

My quick answer -- a lot less than digital...:cool:

Long answer, about $800 to $1000 for a field set-up, a little less for a non-field (many fully functional cheap mono rails out there!)

DrTang
3-Oct-2013, 10:39
OH man... I wished I had stocked up on 16mm movie lenses back when you couldn't give them away

the 4/3 love those things

who knew then

I'm a small time Ebay Seller of medium and large format equipment, mostly. In the last few years some things have really gone up and other things have really gone down in price.

For example just look at the recent high prices of clean late model Crown Graphics or 14" Commercial Ektar lenses. Conversely, when I sold my sweet Bronica 150mm lens for S and EC series medium format cameras I got less than $100.00 for it and that included shipping!

Alan Gales
3-Oct-2013, 10:57
OH man... I wished I had stocked up on 16mm movie lenses back when you couldn't give them away

the 4/3 love those things

who knew then

Yeah, hindsight is 20/20!

One thing I did do right is that I picked up a really nice 400mm autofocus lens with case for the Pentax 645n and nll cameras for $400.00. My wife thought I was crazy paying that much for a lens that I didn't want. I knew the Pentax 645D was coming out so I held onto the lens for two or three years. After the 645D had been out for a year I sold the lens for over $1,200.00. The buyer was thrilled to get it for that!

Jon Shiu
3-Oct-2013, 11:10
keh.com, the largest used camera dealer, is a good site to check on the current prices of large format equipment.

Jon

I haven't bought any gear in quite some time and I avoid even looking at eBay so I won't be tempted.
I was photographing at Ft Tejon and on two separate occasions people approached me wanting to know how to "get into" LF photography and especially how much it would cost.
What should I tell them(other than to read up on the subject right here?)
I've put together kits for one friend and for both my kids as well as for instructional use in a workshop for seniors (and a couple for my own use of course) but that was quite while back and I didn't know what the current tab is for good "user" cameras.
That's why I asked:o

Jim Andrada
3-Oct-2013, 11:32
I just bought a really nice Calumet Cadet for $100 - in beautiful condition. I needed another camera like I needed a case of Poison Ivy but for the price I couldn't help myself. Very nice little camera indeed!!! I stuck a 135 Xenar lens from a Crown Graphic on it and took pictures. Worked great. Weighs next to nothing (he said to himself as he risked a hernia pulling his 8 x 10 Linhof out of the car) and fits in my briefcase when disassembled. I think a $500 - $750 budget would do it.

In fact I had a friend over here yesterday who's also thinking of giving LF a try. Maybe we're about to have a resurgence and can sell all our stuff to the new aficionados at 10% of what we paid for them instead of the current 2% we can get selling to each other.

Alan Gales
3-Oct-2013, 12:17
That lens really gets no respect. It's essentially a cooke triplet by design.

This was taken with mine, which cost less than $100, at ƒ8:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8493/8385885316_2bcb189062_c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/cdketh/8385885316/)
Devore; 2012 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/cdketh/8385885316/) by CKeth (http://www.flickr.com/people/cdketh/), on Flickr

That's the photo, Chris. I love his expression!

ki6mf
6-Oct-2013, 06:15
The key is to watch what comes up and swoop in to pick up the gear. Deals come up all the time usually in your local market and if you are vigilant will find deals. I saw a sinar with geared controls for $200 US. You have to be patient and shop all the time. I agree with the prices 50-300 for rail view cameras. 1-400 for press cameras depending on condition, wood field cameras seem to be more expensive the Shen Hao type of wood camera is in the 700 range and the market for used wood field cameras is higher than rail view cameras, lenses all over the place.

goamules
7-Oct-2013, 09:11
There was a great starter kit at the local flea market yesterday. Ansco 5x7 with a matched 4x5 back, Commercial Ektar in Ilex shutter, Ansco crankup tripod, Original box with probably 20 film holders. Guy wanted $300.

John Kasaian
8-Oct-2013, 13:02
There was a great starter kit at the local flea market yesterday. Ansco 5x7 with a matched 4x5 back, Commercial Ektar in Ilex shutter, Ansco crankup tripod, Original box with probably 20 film holders. Guy wanted $300.

A heck of deal!:D