PDA

View Full Version : Storing large prints?

Darin Boville
25-Sep-2013, 11:05
I know that everyone likes to ship large prints rolled but what do you store them in?

I checked the various suppliers but don't see much above 24x30. I'm looking at 44x whatever.

Should I just mat and bag the things and store them in whatever box I can find/build? Nothing on the market specifically for long term print storage at this size?

--Darin

Jon Shiu
25-Sep-2013, 11:43
You can often find large drawer map/drawing files used by architects, sometimes turn up as surplus from city, county, university etc. or craigslist.

Jon

Lenny Eiger
25-Sep-2013, 11:58
I found large pieces of 1/2 inch foam core. I store them in between those....

Lenny

adam satushek
25-Sep-2013, 12:26
I found large pieces of 1/2 inch foam core. I store them in between those....

Lenny

I do the same, and they come in 4x8 ft sheets. If you wanna get fancy a hinge can be made with gaff tape.

Drew Wiley
25-Sep-2013, 12:27
Architect's flat files (blueprint files). Basically stacking furniture. Either that, or you make them yourself or pay a cabinet maker. I fiddling around with the final
equip odds n' ends to make myself a bunch of such things, since my previous projects are already filled up; but whatever looks like fine furniture costs like furniture.
If you're seriously interested I can give you a few tips, including the right sources for formaldehyde-free plywood, finishes, hardware, etc. None of it is cheap,
though one might come out ahead if they don't factor in their own labor, and that's a game only for retired folks, and well, uh, er... I'm not quite there yet.

Vaughn
25-Sep-2013, 12:34
You might consider interweaving paper such as this in between prints:

http://www.conservationresources.com/Main/section_15/section15_03.htm

Vaughn

Darin Boville
25-Sep-2013, 14:40
Where do you buy foam core that big at? I don't see clear bags that large--any sources?

--Darin

emh
25-Sep-2013, 15:20
Hollinger will do custom sized drop-front boxes, but I'm not sure if they can go that large, or whether the cost would be prohibitive. Might be worth looking into, though.

Vaughn
25-Sep-2013, 15:32
Foam core 32x40, 40x60 and 48x96

http://www.conservationresources.com/Main/section_16/section16_02.htm

But you might find someone locally selling it by the sheet...probably any big SF art supply store (the 32x40 size...40x60 possibly)

Drew Wiley
25-Sep-2013, 15:40
Fomecore and Gatorboard etc are routinely available at least up to 4x8 ft sheets. Maybe not at your local art store, but from any serious dealer. The catch is, you
might either need a wholesale account or being willing to buy entire case of it, and it has to be trucked in (too big for UPS). It's good for print mounting or backing too.

ShannonG
25-Sep-2013, 16:56
I use this cabinet,its 4ft by 3ft and about 4ft tall. Some prints i have mounted on foam core and some in large envelopes. Before i obtained the cabinet i used large print boxes .102391102392

Keith Fleming
25-Sep-2013, 20:25
Some years ago I bought from Ikea a unit similar (but smaller) to the one shown in ShannonG's photograph. It's an "Alex" drawer unit on casters, and the article number is 401.962.41. The current price is $119.00. It's not metal, of course, but white melarmine. I can store mats up to 16X20 in the multiple drawers, and the casters allow me to move it around. It suffices for now, but the dream, of course, are the metal cabinets that ShannonG uses.

Keith

Drew Wiley
26-Sep-2013, 08:52
It's just when you buy something from a generic source using melamine-coated plywood, or any ordinary wood, or especially particle boards, you have to be aware of the potential for outgassing of formaldehyde (which can outright destroy certain kinds of photographic images - I've seen it happen!), and well as the possibility of wood acid migration. The latter is a little easier to control on a shelf surface simply by placing a barrier of mylar or acid-free fomeboard. But outgassing fumes are a different subject! Vinyl plasticizers are another big no-no, and some wood products do have vinyl surfaces. Proper metal "archival" flat files are coated with inert BAKED epoxy or enamel of some sort. With wood, you need to do your homework. If you are in an urban area where industrial or architectural salvage yards exist, flat files often turn up used. I've even seen specialty dealers for used ones, though sometimes it's easier to find the size and condition you need simply buy biting the financial bullet and purchasing new. Some of the older ones do seem to be better built, however.

paulr
26-Sep-2013, 09:18
Craigslist can be a good source for used flat files. In NYC there used to a shop downtown that specialized in old art furniture. I can't find them anymore, but similar places probably exist elsewhere. Files from the 60s and 70s can be a great find. If they're in good shape they can still work smoothly, and they tend to be heavier duty and have nicer hardware than new ones. The enameled steel is easy to clean and shouldn't pose any archival challenges.

If you run out of flat file real estate, smaller work can move to archival boxes on bakers' shelves. A single shelf can free up lots of space in the room.

Darin Boville
26-Sep-2013, 09:31
How large do flat files come--big enough for a 44-inch (short dimension) by whatever print? Any idea how many prints they would hold?

--Darin

ROL
26-Sep-2013, 09:41

I see your two and raise you one, :p:

http://www.rangeoflightphotography.com/SupportPics/LFPF/OpenFlatFiles.jpg
(54"x41") X 3

paulr
26-Sep-2013, 09:45
How large do flat files come--big enough for a 44-inch (short dimension) by whatever print? Any idea how many prints they would hold?

--Darin

These (http://www.gaylord.com/adblock.asp?abid=17898) are big enough, but cost a fortune. It may be a challenge to find this size used ... but who knows?

Vaughn
26-Sep-2013, 10:13
I have a flat file (5-drawer) in my office here at the university -- inside dimensions are less than an inch too small for full sheets of matboard (32x40)...dang! But still nice to have.

Drew Wiley
26-Sep-2013, 10:37
I'm about to make more of my own; but my first big set I simply traded a cabinetmaker a big print for, but that kind of opportunity requires some luck. They're a lot
of work to make, and of course, you need the right kind of shop. Then I jerryrigged a hybrid unit - big baked enamel stacked units which I domesticated by adding
a lovely birdseye/ribbon maple top to, plus matching hardwood handles. The tops act like big tables for either client print viewing or setting a matcutter upon, etc.

ShannonG
26-Sep-2013, 12:59
Nice 3 section you got there Rol. Yup these are hard to find at a good price. It took me a long time to find it at a price i could afford. I found it on Craig s list.

Keith Fleming
26-Sep-2013, 21:30
Drew,

Thanks for the heads-up about the potential problems with melarmine outgassing. I will reconsider the way I've been storing my prints!

Keith

Tin Can
26-Sep-2013, 21:55
Newer cabinets, think Snap-On tool boxes were/are painted by water based immersion, which dries quickly and has quickly dissipating outgassing. Everything outgasses, but time cleans the air.

I would seek USA made flat files from the 80's forward, and use archival paper liners.

Watch out for cleaning solvents also.

Darin Boville
26-Sep-2013, 22:38
I confess I'm not super thrilled with my options :)

Do they make clear bags big enough for a 44-inch (short dimension) print? I'm seeing bags *almost* big enough but not quite.

--Darin

ROL
27-Sep-2013, 10:37
It took me a long time to find it at a price i could afford. I found it on Craig s list.

Yep, used, acquired 10 years ago in some downtown office closures. The problem since is that even used, poor condition ones command extraordinarily high prices from salvage resellers.

Vaughn – I view storing matted prints (or mat board) in flat files as a kind of luxurious waste of premium space (then again perhaps that defines "university" ;)). Fine if space and cost aren't an issue. Mine are mostly for loose prints.

Darin – I buy rolls as large as 44"x64" of 2 mil poly bags from a "local" art supplies wholesaler. You might try Uline. They're only for packaging – not the "crystal clear" presentation type bags, the largest of those I have found being 24"+x30"+.

Drew Wiley
27-Sep-2013, 11:01
I don't have time to look thru all my catalogs, but for example, US Plastics lists 48x60 polybags for around $150 for a roll of 150, in other words, only a buck apiece.

Darin Boville
27-Sep-2013, 11:15
O.K., great, thanks. I'm seeing them at Uline at the $1 each price that Drew mentioned. Large foamcore sheets, too...may be a solution...

Also, just found this large "archival" foam core listing--expensive, though. $25 a sheet. http://www.foamboardsource.com/acid-free-foamboard-affb110.html#.UkXL_BZmueI

--Darin