PDA

View Full Version : Ansel Adams photo, Moon and half dome

william mundy
5-Aug-2004, 07:45
I think I have an original photo of Ansel Adams Moon and Half dome but I'm not positive.How can I tell for sure?

Ken Lee
5-Aug-2004, 08:00
The Moon is that big white thing, and Half Dome looks like a huge rock, with a big section broken off on one side ;-)

jantman
5-Aug-2004, 08:01
I'd think that if it matches what he talks about in The Print and his usual mounting/matting/signing technique, that's a start.

Ralph Barker
5-Aug-2004, 08:06
I'd first examine the print to make sure it's a photographic print, as opposed to a lithographic print, and then make sure it corresponds to published versions, as Jason suggests. From there, I'd take it to an appraiser.

Bob._3483
5-Aug-2004, 08:41
Take it to a gallery - if they laugh at you, it isn't. If they start sucking up, it is....

Cheers,

Bob Fowler
5-Aug-2004, 09:45
"The Moon is that big white thing, and Half Dome looks like a huge rock, with a big section broken off on one side"

... and if it's a color print, you've screwed the pooch!

James Meckley
5-Aug-2004, 09:54
Is it signed by Ansel Adams on the front of the mount? If not, it is likely one of the "Yosemite Special Edition Prints" made under AA's supervision and sold through the Ansel Adams Gallery in Yosemite Valley. These prints were marked in various ways over the years, typically by a rubber stamp on the back of the mount with AA's initials (early) or the initials of the darkroom assistant (later).

Gary DeWitt
5-Aug-2004, 10:50
Moon and Half Dome IS part of the Yosemite Special Edition. You probably have one of those. Although the early ones, back from the days when he was living in the valley, may have been printed by him, that is one of Adams' later shots, after he was pretty famous. I doubt he ever printed it for the special edition.

Joe Lipka
5-Aug-2004, 10:56
So, then maybe you have a John Sexton print of an Ansel Adams negative! But why worry? If you have an image of enduring beauty, it should not be sold, but given a place of honor in your home.

JohnnyV
5-Aug-2004, 12:25
Ansel Adams at times did print the "Yosemite Special Editions" personally.

If so his intials "AA" would be on the lower right under the image.

Jan Pietrzak
5-Aug-2004, 17:45
Sorry Guys, but some of the YSE prints were full signature print I have 2 friends that have them. In the 70's you picked the prints that you wanted from a stack and I remember then their were a few full sigs in 1 of the stacks (if I only knew.) Back then $35.00 ea or 3 for a 100.00. At least all the ones I have are signed on the back. AA prints where next then came no signatures or AA. I am not sure what the current price is for YSE print must be up to $125.00 to 150.00 still the best deal in the park.

Jan Pietrzak