PDA

View Full Version : What was that film?

DannL
23-Sep-2013, 19:53
It's a quiz!

In what feature film did a photographer enter the scene, he sets up a wooden camera with tripod, and on three occasions he places his head under the focusing cloth while trying to get the flash powder to ignite? On the third attempt he places his head under the focusing cloth, the flash powder ignites and he successfully makes his exposure. He promptly carries the camera and tripod out of the scene.

Hint #1: This scene takes place while the opening credits are rolling. More hints are available.

Enjoy! Feel free to add other film/photography related quiz entries.

DannL
24-Sep-2013, 09:42
Hint #2:

The film was loosely based on a children's novel by an author who was best known for a series of spy novels.

lenser
24-Sep-2013, 12:26
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

Back at you: What, besides the author, is the other common thread with this film and another film made from one of his spy novels?

lenser
24-Sep-2013, 12:35
In what film starring Clifton Webb, did he attempt a self family portrait in his parlor with an 8x10 wooden camera and far too much flash powder.

Hint this film was later remade in color

DannL
24-Sep-2013, 12:56
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. . . .

Damn! I hope I didn't make that too easy. ;-)

lenser
24-Sep-2013, 13:01
Naah. My girls made me watch it with them about a hundred times. Obviously, I focused in on the antique cameras.

lenser
24-Sep-2013, 13:11
Another: Who played the lead in a fairly recent film that was very loosely based on Weegee? Bonus points: name the film.

And another:An early Tommy Lee Jones film involved the character of a big city fashion photographer who had visions of violent crimes. Name the film and the co star.

Dannl, you've created a monster! There should be a Trivial Pursuit, the Photography Edition version of the game.

lenser
24-Sep-2013, 13:20
Another Tommy Lee Jones question: In what film (one scene only) did he use a Super Speed Graphic?

JWebb
24-Sep-2013, 13:27
Joe Pesci - Public Eye

DannL
24-Sep-2013, 13:31
Back at you: What, besides the author, is the other common thread with this film and another film made from one of his spy novels?

It must be something with wings?

lenser
24-Sep-2013, 13:38
Joe Pesci - Public Eye
Dead on, J.

lenser
24-Sep-2013, 13:39
It must be something with wings?

Second clue: Not wings although a flying circus was heavily featured in the other film.

DannL
24-Sep-2013, 13:46
Joe Pesci - Public Eye

Thanks. I haven't seen this film yet.

DannL
24-Sep-2013, 13:48
Second clue: Not wings although a flying circus was heavily featured in the other film.

I must yield to the other forum members. More research is required.

ROL
24-Sep-2013, 13:54
In what film starring Clifton Webb, did he attempt a self family portrait in his parlor with an 8x10 wooden camera and far too much flash powder.

Cheaper by the 12.

lenser
24-Sep-2013, 13:56
Cheaper by the 12.
Damn good. That one I thought would be pretty obscure.

DannL
24-Sep-2013, 19:39
And another:An early Tommy Lee Jones film involved the character of a big city fashion photographer who had visions of violent crimes. Name the film and the co star.

I think we can agree the film was Eyes of Laura Mars. Dunaway and Jones. I don't think I could watch another Dunaway flic, having seen Mommie Dearest and The Thomas Crown Affair in the same week. Beware, I'll bet 90% of us are masters of Goggling film/movie trivia. It would take a perty obscure film not to have had it's plot recorded in Wikipedia. ;-)

Speaking of Mommie Dearest, there were a number of scenes with photographers using press cameras. But, nothing memorable. That's what happens when the director pays attention to every detail. Nothing is left to question.

DannL
24-Sep-2013, 19:52
I would be pleased that the thread be open to any film related photography trivia. Any thoughts in that direction? A moderator's opinion is definitely welcome.

ic-racer
24-Sep-2013, 20:14
Movie has a scene where the star is in his darkroom working and watching TV with a safe-light filter over it.

lenser
24-Sep-2013, 20:43
I agree with your thoughts on Faye Dunaway although I think she did her best acting just before the closing credits of both Bonnie and Clyde, and China Town. Definitely correct on Laura Mars.

How about naming the three major cameras used by David Hemmings in 'Blow Up'.

Andrew O'Neill
25-Sep-2013, 13:10
I think they were a Nikon F, Hasselblad, and a Rollieflex.

lenser
25-Sep-2013, 14:22
It's been long enough that I don't remember the Rollieflex, so thanks for that input. However, he does copy the one remained enlargement on a 4x5 that was set up in a copy station in his lab. That's the one I was looking for and I honestly don't recall which brand although I'm pretty sure that the design made it obvious. As to the Hasse, the era pretty much dictates that it must have been a 500C.

E. von Hoegh
26-Sep-2013, 12:34
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. (snip)

Where the name for the car came from. http://www.brooklands.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=96&Itemid=2

Jess C
27-Sep-2013, 14:04
Movie has a scene where the star is in his darkroom working and watching TV with a safe-light filter over it.

Not sure about the film but I believe Eugene Smith watched TV in his darkroom with a safe light filter over the screen when he spent days working in his darkroom.

DannL
7-Oct-2013, 21:31
Watched "Splendor in the Grass" with Natalie Wood on the tube the other evening. There was a scene where the family was having their portrait taken with an old wooden 8x10 I suspect. But what I found interesting was how the "flash light" was utilized. Very interesting.

Vaughn
7-Oct-2013, 21:52
A female reporter using a Speed Graphic, sometimes correctly, in this 1950's B&W horror movie...