PDA

View Full Version : Austin & San Antonio in October

Jeff Bannow
23-Sep-2013, 08:14
I'll be there for a work trip in a few weeks and will have a few extra days. Other than trying out all the good BBQ (Franklin BBQ - worth flying to Austin for alone), anyone have suggestions for photography in the area? I'll have a rental car all to myself.

TXFZ1
23-Sep-2013, 13:51
Depends on how far you want to travel and what size crowds you can tolerate. What are your interests, man-made or natural?

Austin
McKinney falls, Pedernales falls, Wimberley,
State capitol, dome, bats, town lake

New Braunsfel
German architecture

Luling
Mill

San Antonio
Alamo
Riverwalk
Missions

Lost Maples may have color late October

David

bob carnie
23-Sep-2013, 13:54
All I can say is I envy you. two of my most favourite locations in NA.

I plan to visit next year.

Jeff Bannow
24-Sep-2013, 05:27
Thanks for the suggestions!

I plan to get out of the city, so more small town architecture or Texas countryside. Planning to shoot the capitol, bats, missions in SA, and then head out of town.

Jeff Bannow
24-Sep-2013, 05:42
All I can say is I envy you. two of my most favourite locations in NA.

I plan to visit next year.

Hey Bob! Yeah, it's a great place. I could easily see myself living there. And the BBQ is to die for ...

bob carnie
24-Sep-2013, 06:34
Not sure if the Oasis is still open to watch the sunset and drink margaritas, but if it is then for sure give this location a visit.

Bruce Osgood
24-Sep-2013, 08:57
I'll be there for a work trip in a few weeks and will have a few extra days. Other than trying out all the good BBQ (Franklin BBQ - worth flying to Austin for alone), anyone have suggestions for photography in the area? I'll have a rental car all to myself.

I can't speak to Franklin BBQ but the Salk Lick is worth flying to alone, and Ruby's is almost as good.

TXFZ1
24-Sep-2013, 09:44
Not sure if the Oasis is still open to watch the sunset and drink margaritas, but if it is then for sure give this location a visit.

The Oasis burned down a few year back and has been rebuilt since then. Great place to people watch also.

Cooper's BBQ in Llano is also very good. Lots of great small towns to explore in the Hill country between Austin and San Antonio.

David

Jeff Bannow
24-Sep-2013, 09:46
Lots of great small towns to explore in the Hill country between Austin and San Antonio.

I'll definitely have to do that while I'm down there.

Monty McCutchen
24-Sep-2013, 21:24
Enchanted Rock State Park
Luchenbach, Texas near Fredericksburg
another vote for Lost Maples State Park and find Seco Creek (Emerald Green limestone bottom creek) on maps and cross the county roads that intersect it back and forth
The Medina River that runs near through Bandera and Medina Texas.
A little further out is Garner State Park another joy

best

Monty