PDA

View Full Version : Lens hood for sinar 300mm and 360mm?

Cloverick
23-Sep-2013, 02:16
Hi there,
I'm running both the above on a canham 8x10... The 360 especially has serious flare issues. Can anyone recommend a lens hood configuration?
I have a sinar body too and can use the bellows as a hood, but with the 360 it's very easy to get vignetting as the glass is so big. Plus, I hate schlepping that ol' beast (the sinar body) around.
The only thing Ive found is the lee wide angle lens hood...
Any advice or suggestions?
Thanks!

Taija71A
23-Sep-2013, 12:10
____

If you are looking for a Lens Hood to use on your 8x10 Canham...
Have you considered an 'Used' K.B. CANHAM Compendium Lens Shade? Just a thought!
--
Regards,

-Tim.
________

Louis Pacilla
23-Sep-2013, 13:27
____

If you are looking for a Lens Hood to use on your 8x10 Canham...
Have you considered an 'Used' K.B. CANHAM Compendium Lens Shade? Just a thought!
________

I agree with Taija and was going to mention the same thing. I haven't looked back since I bought a Canham bellows lens shade. Works great with all lenses from vintage to modern.

I've posted two photos one shows my Canham lens shade. I picked this up here on this site for a decent price and is the older style with the support arms on each side. I looked for the older one as I like the extra support.
The second photo is from Keiths web site & is the newer version with what I guess is a wire frame built into the bellows so no side arms needed so it's probably lighter by a few ounces. This is listed as $350 new at Mid West Photo so you may want to try and hunt a used Canham lens shade if possible. That being said, if you do buy new it will be money well spent given the price of film these days.

The last thing I'll add is if you do go with a Canham bellows shade make sure you buy the correct on. One fits the 8x10 and has a longer drop from the fr standard to center with the lens board and the a shorter one for the 4x5 & 5x7 models. I believe this goes for the metal cameras as well.

Taija71A
23-Sep-2013, 13:46
____

Louis, you have just cited some excellent points -- Re: ALL 'Bellows Type' Compendium Lens Shades:

Your points are most definitely 'applicable', not only for the 'OP', but also for anybody else... Who may be considering such a purchase. :)

>> They 'Work great' with all lenses from vintage to modern.
>> They are money 'Well spent'... Given the price of film these days.
>> Make sure you buy the 'Correct size' one.

--
Regards,

-Tim.
________

Drew Wiley
23-Sep-2013, 13:59
With the Sinar I simply use a spare bellows and their own clip system. Simple enough. With my 8x10 folder I use the Lee system, which requires a thread-on adapter
for the lens, then you simply clip the compendium to that. I also have a flip-down lenshade system for these camera which is far more compact and lightwt, but
only shades from a particular side at a time, and probably not as cute as as having a Stetson cowboy hat shade, but certainly more reliable and less smelly.

Cloverick
23-Sep-2013, 15:55
Thanks for taking the time to respond so generously, I appreciate it.
-I'll look into the canham shade, seems a smart idea. However, it still has the same issue of the sinar system- easy vignette with any moves. In the field on 8x10 it can be hard to safely judge what's happening at edge of frame....
- hence my interest in the lee system as it angles outwards.
- Drew, how has the lee system performed for you?
- also, am I correct in measuring 105mm ring for the sinaron SE 300mm, and ...120mm for the symmar S 360mm? Do these both fit the Lee system? Maybe I'm wrong with measurements... I only have an imperial ruler at home and traced outside of lenses into diary.
Anyhow, here's to the hive mind!

Drew Wiley
23-Sep-2013, 16:04
The Lee has a deliberately stiff reverse-tapered bellows which you simply extend and conform as needed. Over twenty years of using the system, I've had to replace the bellows once. But it's a compact portable system, with adapters avail for numerous thread sizes. Obviously not as fast to use as a compendium already in place
on a monorail. I've never had an issue with the Sinar shade vignetting. I simply look thru the cut corners of the groundglass. But besides the straight rod to support
the bellows, you can get one with an adjustable joint. I don't have any old catalogs here at the office with the Lee specs, but they are probably still listed on
the B&H website. I'm not sure anything as big as 105mm could be accommodated, but never really looked...

Cloverick
23-Sep-2013, 19:14
Thanks Drew. The lee is what I'm after in theory... I can't find specs online for how large the hole is. Do you know the width of the circular hole? the sinar 360mm is 120mm wide, so I fear it may just be too large for the lee bellows.

Taija71A
23-Sep-2013, 20:00
Thanks Drew. The lee is what I'm after in theory... I can't find specs online for how large the hole is. Do you know the width of the circular hole? the sinar 360mm is 120mm wide, so I fear it may just be too large for the lee bellows.

____

Quick Answer:

Rodenstock Apo-Sironar-S (Sinar SE) 300mm Lens (Front Filter Thread) Size: 100mm.

Largest 'Standard' Adapter Ring Size for Lee 100mm Filter System and Universal Hood: 93mm.
(*The 105mm Accessory Ring must be 'FRONT Mounted' to the Holder... I believe).
--
Please be guided 'accordingly' and 'verify' for yourself first.
Thank-you.
--
Regards,

-Tim.
________