PDA

View Full Version : 11x14 Maco 820c Aura IR film

Diane Maher
22-Sep-2013, 19:03
I came across 2 25 sheet boxes of 11x14 Maco 820c Aura IR film today in my bedroom closet. I would like to find out a couple of things. First, is anyone on this forum shooting 11x14 and second, if so, do you shoot IR film? The film has an expiration date of 4/2007. It has been wrapped in the bubble wrap it came in and still in the shipping box. I cut open the duct tape enough today that I could identify it.

I originally purchased the film to get it cut down to 5x12, but I do not have a darkroom and have never found anyone who would cut it down for me. I don't recall what I paid for it and have no idea what it might be worth.

I didn't want to post it for sale until I had a better idea or perhaps maybe someone would be willing to cut it down for me. Hope this is ok here.

Diane

Michael Kadillak
30-Sep-2013, 19:29
Would be happy to assist Diane, but concerned that my IR monocle would fog your IR film. Being able to see what I am doing relative to cutting sheet film is a desired
prerequisite. The only other alternative would be to build a cutting template that would ensure that the proper size is cut.

Tin Can
30-Sep-2013, 19:51
I don't want to cut it, but I have a large dry darkroom in Chicago you could use.

I noticed you are in Illinois.

Brian C. Miller
30-Sep-2013, 20:46
Expired in 2007 and it's just been in your closet, not in a freezer?

Well, the IR sensitivity dramatically decreases after a year. While it may still be somewhat IR sensitive, it will be in the "chalk and soot" range, and your speed will be 1-3 ISO.

Make up a jig, cut a few sheets, and have some fun. You have nothing to lose.

Jody_S
30-Sep-2013, 20:54
I have cut hundreds of sheets of 4x5 through 8x10 off a 12" roll (graphic arts infrared film), it's unpleasant and tedious to do this in the dark but it's still quite doable.

This is quite a find, if I may say so. I'm going to go through all of my closets tomorrow to see if I have something like this lying around. :D

Cor
1-Oct-2013, 04:20
Expired in 2007 and it's just been in your closet, not in a freezer?

Well, the IR sensitivity dramatically decreases after a year. While it may still be somewhat IR sensitive, it will be in the "chalk and soot" range, and your speed will be 1-3 ISO.

Make up a jig, cut a few sheets, and have some fun. You have nothing to lose.

Well 2 ISO is my "normal" speed with MACO IR film (in combination with a 70 red filter). I use MACO film much older than yours, BUT I have kept it frozen all the time, I do think that that is essential, and even than I had some 35mm IR film from the very first run from MACO (well actually EFKE) kept it frozen, but it lost it's IR sensitivity nevertheless..did not happen yet with the 4*5 stock I have which is younger than that first run..

Good luck,

Cor

Diane Maher
1-Oct-2013, 18:35
I'm sorry to say that I don't have a freezer large enough (and never have) for my LF film, much less this film. Randy, yes, but I'm in the St. Louis metro area a bit far from you.

The main reason I posted here is because I don't have access to a darkroom. What sort of material would be used to make a jig to cut the film?

Tin Can
1-Oct-2013, 19:02
I cut X-Ray film often, but it can be done under red safe light. I make film cutting stops out of clean matte board and firmly tape them down to my cutting board with gaff tape. I cut all the film one direction, and then move the cutting stop to a second position to cut the other dimension.

I have the best success cutting one sheet at a time with my very cheap Costco paper cutter.