PDA

View Full Version : Do archival self-adhesive labels for backs of prints exist?

AtlantaTerry
22-Sep-2013, 18:17
I would like to put laser-printed labels on the backs of my enlargements but not unless the glue and paper is archival.

The pre-printed information would have things that do not change such as my name, contact information, copyright notice, etc. Then I would add the image file number with India ink.

I have looked at the information on label packages but so far none have said they are archival.

Does anyone out there know where I can find sheets of self-adhesive archival labels?

Thanks,
Terry

Michael Alpert
23-Sep-2013, 18:57
This is really a bookbinding question. So I advise you to ask a good hand-bookbinder in Atlanta, or contact the people in the book-arts program at the University of Georgia for information. I don't know of any self-adhesive labels that are archival. Because self-adhesive substances never dry, they are, in fact, time bombs when used on the backs of photographs. I think it would be better for you to make your own labels by printing on acid-free paper, trimming to label size, and adhering the labels with an adhesive that has minimum water content. Clear "glue-sticks", which you can buy cheaply at office-supply stores, are methyl-cellulose (a synthetic acid-free starch) in a binder that keeps the adhesive from drying before being used. Often bookbinders will use methyl-cellulose (prepared from powder) mixed with PVA (a synthetic archival white glue). The PVA is very strong but sets and dries quickly. By mixing it with methyl-cellulose, you can control the setting time. A professional bookbinder can explain all this very quickly and can tell you where to purchase the materials you need.

AtlantaTerry
24-Sep-2013, 02:04
Thank you for the information. I appreciate it.

Terry

Peter Mounier
24-Sep-2013, 07:43
I know it's not good practice to dry mount photos for archiving because best practices are to have the print unmounted, or removable from the mount, but still I prefer to dry mount photos. And stickers on the back don't work well with dry mounting. That said, here are some labels that state they are archival ...

http://www.archivalaids.com/rsm/6/products/archival-acid-free-labels/archival-acid-free-labels-1

paulr
24-Sep-2013, 08:38
Michael's advice sounds good. There are lots of archival adhesives available from mounting and framing suppliers. Light Impressions may have fallen out of grace with people, but there are other places like them. They always had a selection, including rice starch paste.

ROL
24-Sep-2013, 09:03
You mean on the print itself? You can do anything you want as long as you have no regard for longevity, or reasonable archival standard.

Typically people do stamp the information, with blanks as you mentioned, with India ink on loose prints. You can likely order a rubber stamp in days on the net. Or, you can simply write lightly on the back of the print. Or, you can make said labels with your laser/inkjet printer and dry mount them to the back of the print, the same as if dry mounting the print to board, as I have (http://www.rangeoflightphotography.com/pages/photo-business#provenance). But, best to provide info on the back of the print's mount.

AtlantaTerry
24-Sep-2013, 10:21
You mean on the print itself? You can do anything you want as long as you have no regard for longevity, or reasonable archival standard.

Yes, the print (enlargement itself). I currently do not have a dry mount system.

What I currently use is a PITT pen filled with India ink. That works OK but I was just wondering if there are any alternates out there.

The website www.archivalaids.com seems to offer what I want but, since they are in England, shipping might cost a bit too much. However, it is encouraging that they do offer what I want so now I will try to find a source here in the USA.

Vaughn
24-Sep-2013, 12:15
You might try looking at this site/product.

http://www.conservationresources.com/Main/section_34/section34_14.htm

They are a bit closer to you (Springfield, Virginia) than England -- although they are also in England.

AtlantaTerry
25-Sep-2013, 00:15
Vaughn, that just might be the answer.

Thanks.

Sevo
25-Sep-2013, 00:39
Self adhesive and archival are (almost) mutually exclusive - self adhesive implies a softener, which eventually would migrate into the base. There are tapes for bookbinding purposes that are self-adhesive off the roll (but less comfortable, with a shelf life of days after breaking the seal), but behave like any other archival water (or alcohol) based glue after application. But the ones I am familiar with are not available in sheet size or with a peel-off backing, so you could not print on them.

ROL
25-Sep-2013, 09:06
Yes, the print (enlargement itself). I currently do not have a dry mount system.

FYI: The aforementioned option of dry mounting labels only does not require a press. A clothes iron could also be effectively employed.