PDA

View Full Version : Fujinon 300mm f8 Chromatic abberations

yaal
22-Sep-2013, 15:48
I have been using the Fuji 300mm f8 T on 617 film for about a year now.
Although the lens is in new condition and all seems to be clear and smooth, i have been seeing some serious chromatic aberration, especially when the lens is stepped down to 16-22. Did anyone experience this issue?

thanks,

yaal

www.yaalherman.com (http://www.yaalherman.com" title="professional photographer in jerusalem israel)
www.phototourisrael.com (http://www.phototourisrael.com" title="photography tours in israel)

ic-racer
22-Sep-2013, 15:57
Are you sure you have the correct rear lens group and not one from the 400mm?

gregmo
22-Sep-2013, 20:37
I don't own that particular 300, but I do have the Fuji 600 T and it gets some pretty bad CA in some shooting situations. It is the only lens I own that is effected by CA..it's also my only Fuji lens.

dave_whatever
23-Sep-2013, 00:00
Are you using the version as sold mounted for GX617, or the version sold for 4x5 use? i think they are different designs. The 6x17 version has more elements so you might expect it to perform better.

I had the 4x5 version and found that it did show some CA on high contrast edges, probably just goes with the territory of being a tele lens with no ED glass (unlike the bigger heavier Nikkor 270mm tele). I found the CA would correct OK in post so didn't become a big issue for me.

yaal
24-Sep-2013, 01:07
Many thanks for you detailed responses. The rear element is the right one, but i do believe this is the 4X5 version.
attached is a tiny crop from a 1100% Creo scan, about 2/3 off center of a 617 neg - just so you can get an idea..

www.yaalherman.com (http://www.yaalherman.com)

yaal
24-Sep-2013, 01:11
Are you using the version as sold mounted for GX617, or the version sold for 4x5 use? i think they are different designs. The 6x17 version has more elements so you might expect it to perform better.

I had the 4x5 version and found that it did show some CA on high contrast edges, probably just goes with the territory of being a tele lens with no ED glass (unlike the bigger heavier Nikkor 270mm tele). I found the CA would correct OK in post so didn't become a big issue for me.

Thanks Dave, i hear what you are saying about the non ED. that's probably it..

angusparker
24-Sep-2013, 08:36
As far as Fuji lenses go, I think this issue mainly affects Tele lenses. I've never had such an issue with my 125, 180, 240 and 450 Fujinons. Just got the 400T so I'm no sure about that one yet.

Drew Wiley
24-Sep-2013, 13:37
I assume you're working with a rollfilm holder, which makes everything a little more nitpicky than with sheet film. From everything I've seen done with the Fuji T lenses, they're pretty impressive performers, with the 400T perhaps being the pick of the litter. But don't expect them to be as well corrected as Fuji A's, C's, or
even general-purpose plastmats of the equivalent focal length. But in this particular instance, you might be pushing the limits of the image circle a bit too much.
Don't you have enough bellows extension for a compact non-tele like a Fuji C or Nikkor M?