PDA

View Full Version : Ansel Adams BBC interview

Michael Lloyd
22-Sep-2013, 07:57
I really enjoyed this video. At one point he says "Bracketing is a sign of insecurity":cool: and he seemed to be genuinely excited about the coming electronic image capture technology. Somehow I don't think he would be so impressed with the plethora of crappy images that it has produced (including mine) but it was interesting to hear him speak about it.

http://youtu.be/rdCq-1MJmHw

Daniel Stone
22-Sep-2013, 08:02
Even he produced a great deal of "crappy"(to him) photographs as well ;), as all photographers do, even in their prime.

What we see and "know" as Ansel Adams the photographer is a mere portion of his total negatives exposed during his lifetime.

thank you for sharing this video :)

-Dan

Michael Lloyd
22-Sep-2013, 08:15
I'm sure that's true. That would speak to putting your best images in the public eye :)

ROL
22-Sep-2013, 10:46
I'm sure that's true. That would speak to putting your best images in the public eye :)

Apropros of his consideration that the most important tool in the darkroom is the waste bin.

As many times as this video comes up, I think it's always a valuable touchstone to the reality of the artist too often mythologized in complete error by the ignorant. To my mind, the real Adams is all the more justified by the myth of the man.

Kirk Gittings
22-Sep-2013, 10:59
I really enjoyed this video. At one point he says "Bracketing is a sign of insecurity":cool: and he seemed to be genuinely excited about the coming electronic image capture technology. Somehow I don't think he would be so impressed with the plethora of crappy images that it has produced (including mine) but it was interesting to hear him speak about it.

http://youtu.be/rdCq-1MJmHw

There was a plethora of crappy images in his day too. Believe me I was there making some of them.

AtlantaTerry
22-Sep-2013, 11:34
Thank you for the link. The video was quite interesting and informative.

Michael Lloyd
22-Sep-2013, 11:46
There was a plethora of crappy images in his day too. Believe me I was there making some of them.

Lol... and I've been doing my best to continue the crappy image taking well into the new millenium with digital. I'm hoping that a return to film will help me improve... so far... it's a work in progress. I suppose it will be from now to the end.

paulr
22-Sep-2013, 18:47
If bracketing is a sign of insecurity, polaroid must be its ultimate expression.
But hey, what artists don't struggle with insecurity?

Heroique
22-Sep-2013, 20:37
Using the naked eye to determine exposure is a sign of security.

Using my Pentax spot meter is an expression of insecurity.

;^)