PDA

View Full Version : BACK of the camera wont close properly, help

kevs-2323668
20-Sep-2013, 10:26
Back of my sinar is supposed to close flush left. I have no idea what going on, but now I cannot load film. any ideas? thanks:

jackpie
20-Sep-2013, 15:52
Looks like the Graflock bars have slid closed and are catching the back mechanism. Try pushing them out of the way.

kevs-2323668
20-Sep-2013, 19:52
Jack, thanks, I'm a newbie, this is Sinar btw. Don't know even what Graflock bars refer to and where to push, so unless you can make a quick video, maybe I can PM you?

AtlantaTerry
21-Sep-2013, 00:41
Just look closely. Surely you will find Part A interfering with Tab B.

All seriousness aside, Graflok bars are along the top and bottom edges of the film back. They slide to grip optional film devices such as roll film holders and Polaroid backs. When not in use gripping something they should be slide along their tracks to a neutral position. Usually they are two long thick bars of chromed flat metal with a bit sticking up on one end that allows you to push on it.

Sorry, I can't help more, I own Cambo cameras, not Sinar.

Tracy Storer
21-Sep-2013, 11:41
It's a little hard to tell from your photo,
1. is the ground glass even attached?
2. Are the silver parts with the hooked ends stuck in that "distended" position? If so, you have a small problem I used to see with Cambo cameras when newbies pulled the GG frame too far away from the body of the camera and the spring that holds the hooked parts pops out of place.

Answering these two questions will help us help you.

Jim Andrada
22-Sep-2013, 21:38
What Tracy said.

But from your photo it does look like the large silvery rectangular piece of metal (that's cut away so the sprung arms can slip through and engage) at the right side of the back as it appears in the photo is sticking out (to the left in the photo) so the back is hitting it and won't close. That would be what's being referred to as the Graflock bar, although being a Linhof person I'm not sure the Sinar even has such bars. Most cameras do so you can take off the ground glass frame and slip in some other holder like a roll film or Polaroid holder.

A few photos from different angles would also be helpful in diagnosing the problem.

kevs-2323668
23-Sep-2013, 11:48
Here are some more images, thanks!

Tracy Storer
24-Sep-2013, 19:21
Why not add your location to your profile? Then someone who lives nearby can help you.

Cor
25-Sep-2013, 03:09
I am no expert, but perhaps the black bar below the silver bar is moved to much, maybe if you can get assistance, one person can hold the back, while the other one tries to move the black bar. Or alternatively you can try to push back/in the silver bar at the serrated part, and remove the back completely.

Good luck,

best,

Cor

Jac@stafford.net
25-Sep-2013, 03:56
It might be clipped on backwards. Try removing the ground glass part, then flip it around 180 degrees.

Couldn't hoit!

limnidytis
25-Sep-2013, 05:27
I believe your camera has a F2 style back - the levers open and close the back. What happens when you rotate the levers down (to the right in the middle 2 photos)? I believe the lever mechanism is holding the back open. However, looking in my Sinar manuals, the back should open at the opposite end from the levers. I'm also not certain that the Graflok part is clipped in correctly. None of the photos in my Sinar manuals have enough detail to help, though. I a couple of F1 cameras, which have a different style opening mechanism on the back. Maybe you should ask who you bought the camera from?

kevs-2323668
25-Sep-2013, 11:33
Got help from Jim via phone, problem solved, I know know how to remove the back.

ONE thing I still wanted / need help on is how to remove the full contraption and flip that back to vertical. Probably would require a short video from someone with the same exact camera. appreciate all the great help here. thanks!

Tracy Storer
25-Sep-2013, 11:41
Glad you got it sorted, it definitely looked like something hinky was going on !

limnidytis
25-Sep-2013, 13:51
Reorienting the back is easy - hold the back and raise the flip lever at the top left of the frame. The back assembly will come off in you hand. You can turn it 90 degrees, reinsert it and close the lever. It's like the lens board and bellows attachments.

kevs-2323668
25-Sep-2013, 14:59
Tried that lim, did not work for me, a video would probably do the trick, text does not seem to fly.

broaddaylight
31-Dec-2013, 10:39
Hi kevs-2323668
Can you share ur solution ? Last night my sinar came up with the same problem. Would love to know what you did to fix, figure it's something simple that is escaping me
Thanks