PDA

View Full Version : Help identifying a lens possible Rodenstock Geronar 360mm

JohnP
18-Sep-2013, 15:57
I am trying to confirm that I have a Rodenstock Geronar 360mm f9. The label was on a ring around the front element and has fallen off. The lens measures 80mm long and 80mm in diameter. The front and rear elements measure 62mm.

I would appreciate any input you can give me.

Struan Gray
19-Sep-2013, 01:22
That looks like a Rodenstock Apo-Gerogon.

A Geronar (without the Apo) is a taking lens for 4x5. I'm not sure there was ever a 360 mm, but the non wide angles I have seen were multicoated triplets in shutter. Counting reflections, or unscrewing the lens groups, makes the construction obvious.

This looks more like an Apo-Gerogon, which was a wide-angle process lens for vertical copy cameras, optimised for 1:3 or so. A Plasmat design (single coated, I think) with a reputation of being something of a budget option compared to the 1:1 optimised Apo-Ronars used on horizontal cameras. They cover a wider angle though, and perform well enough as taking lenses. A 360 should cover 8x10 at infinity with no problem.

Googling Apo-Gerogons will give you pictures of lenses which look like yours. Bob Salomon here at LF.info can probably give you more info if you need it.

If you're looking to sell it, they don't go for much, mostly because they are hard to put into a shutter.

IanG
19-Sep-2013, 02:07
Bob can clarify the range of Geronars that Rodenstock made, the 150mm & 210mm were budget triplets, I know there was a 90mm f8 and a 300mm f9 but they were all in shutters.

That looks like a process lens as Struan suggests.

Ian