PDA

View Full Version : Linhof Accessory Shoe / Viewfinder Mount - possible to buy just that part?

Corran
17-Sep-2013, 12:57
Anyone know if the shoe mount on the top of Technika cameras, where the viewfinder mounts, is available somewhere to purchase? It's kind of an elongated cold shoe.

I like the Linhof viewfinder so I was thinking I could put those mounts on my Graphics.

Noah A
17-Sep-2013, 13:03
You could check with Nippon Photo Clinic or Bob Watkins at Precision Camera Works. Both, I believe, are now authorized Linhof repair shops in the US. You might just tell them you lost the one on your Master Technika ;). I'm sure Bob S. will chime in here, but if not you can ask him about buying one directly. Since the one on the MT is removable in order to access a tripod socket, I'm sure people lose them from time to time. It might not be so easy though, since they come with the Camera's serial number on them. And I'm sure it'll be pricey, as are all things Linhof.

Can't you just use a normal cold shoe, or will it not hold the finder securely? Sorry, I don't have a Linhof viewfinder.

Corran
17-Sep-2013, 13:16
I didn't think about the serial number thing. You're right, it will probably be pricey, even for a simple piece of metal.

Honestly I have not tried a regular shoe, I think I have one around though so I will tonight. It's much shorter so I'm not sure how secure it'll be.

Do you have a working email for Nippon? I tried emailing them from the contact information I found online, but the email bounced back. I also need parts for my Wista 8x10. But I hear they aren't very good about just selling parts...

Bob Salomon
17-Sep-2013, 13:22
Linhof made this shoe two different ways. Originally it was screwed down on the top of the camera and required a screw driver to remove. Then they made it interchageable and these screw onto the top of the camera one of two ways. Originally there was a large knurled knob under the top of the camera housing that you would unscrew to remove the shoe. That has now been changed to an Allen screw that you unscrew with the Allen key now supplied with the cameras.

If you want to mount one to the top of a different camera you would probably want the old type that screws down. You will also need the springs and shims that hold things tight when they are mounted on the shoe. And no, a standard accessory shoe would be too small and too weak for the Multifocus Finder.

Of course you could do it the easy way and take advantage of the auto cropping and auto field correction of the modern MultiFocus Finder and just get a Linhof to put the finder on. Then all these shoe problems would go away! Also remember, the Multifocus Finder can rotate to be parallel to the camera body for storage and to eliminate its sticking out over the camera body when not in use. This feature also needs a large, robust shoe. This feature also is needed when the back is in portrait mode and the film holder does not clear the eyepiece of the finder. If that is the case then you just rotate the finder on the shoe 90°.

Bob Salomon
17-Sep-2013, 13:23
I didn't think about the serial number thing. You're right, it will probably be pricey, even for a simple piece of metal.

Honestly I have not tried a regular shoe, I think I have one around though so I will tonight. It's much shorter so I'm not sure how secure it'll be.

Do you have a working email for Nippon? I tried emailing them from the contact information I found online, but the email bounced back. I also need parts for my Wista 8x10. But I hear they aren't very good about just selling parts...

nipponphotoclinic@hotmail.com
212 982-3177 or 212 736-4663 Ask for Rim.

Corran
17-Sep-2013, 13:36
Thanks Bob.
I actually do have a Linhof (IV) but I do like my little 2x3 Century Graphics, and the viewfinder on them sucks IMO! And of course the Speed Graphics have the FP shutter, so they are still useful! Thanks for the contact info, I will try again.

Jac@stafford.net
17-Sep-2013, 14:15
The Linhof shoe is the same width as a universal accessory shoe, but the viewfinder's base is more than twice as long as the universal shoe. (Universal ~15mm deep vs. 33mm for Linhof.

Tin Can
17-Sep-2013, 14:59
Let us know if you find a good cold shoe. I need a couple also. One for a Prewar 5x7 Linhof.

Thanks!

Corran
17-Sep-2013, 15:06
Well I was thinking, and if I was going to go cheap, I'd just grab two of these, sand down the edge on one, and slap them on the camera right next to each other to make a longer shoe mount.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400574521957

Tin Can
17-Sep-2013, 15:14
You could, but I want something without plastic. I might take them off old 35 mm bodies. I hate to do it but...

Well I was thinking, and if I was going to go cheap, I'd just grab two of these, sand down the edge on one, and slap them on the camera right next to each other to make a longer shoe mount.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400574521957

Jac@stafford.net
28-Sep-2013, 11:04
Surprise to me. I was going through some parts and found the Linhof Accessory Shoe.

I tried it on my own viewfinder and it is perfect.
All you need is the screws to fasten it to your Graphic's body.

Will contact you via PM.

Tin Can
28-Sep-2013, 11:11
There it is Brian!

I bet we would all like at least one, nice how it has extra length.

What I would use more often would be a cold shoe just like that that had bottom clearance so the pins on the bottom of speedlights would not short out. Never made I suppose.

Yes there are modern, ugly adapters, some aluminum and many plastic.

I prefer steel.

Surprise to me. I was going through some parts and found the Linhof Accessory Shoe.

I tried it on my own viewfinder and it is perfect.
All you need is the screws to fasten it to your Graphic's body.

Will contact you via PM.

Bob Salomon
28-Sep-2013, 14:16
There it is Brian!

What I would use more often would be a cold shoe just like that that had bottom clearance so the pins on the bottom of speedlights would not short out. Never made I suppose.

Yes there are modern, ugly adapters, some aluminum and many plastic.

I prefer steel.

Just slide a piece of 35mm film, cut to fit, into the shoe to isolate the flash contacts from the shoe.

Tin Can
28-Sep-2013, 14:20
Thanks Bob, never occurred to me!

Now I will raid some old 35 mm camera cold shoes.

Just slide a piece of 35mm film, cut to fit, into the shoe to isolate the flash contacts from the shoe.

Corran
29-Sep-2013, 16:28
Been out of town, just PM'd you!

Yes, Bob is correct, I've also just used card stock. Let me know how it goes Randy!

Jac@stafford.net
30-Sep-2013, 03:03
PM sent.

This shoe is dimensionally the same as the late shoes, but has the Linhof Munchen logo and no serial number. (Note the two spots on the logo - those are not rust, but the German character attributes.)

Jac@stafford.net
30-Sep-2013, 12:38

While browsing the Linhof bin I found yet another Linhof accessory shoe with fasteners.

To affirm Bob S's comment (I think), this one is different in that it has a serial number, no Linhof logo, and it has two sprung tabs that protrude into the shoe rail through slots on the bottom to hold the accessory firmly in place. The other had no such slots nor springs.

I might make a engineering drawing of the part for future reference.