PDA

View Full Version : Lenses to go with

Professional
16-Sep-2013, 23:03
Hi again,

I am trying to get more gear of LF before some or most are gone or difficult to get, so i am here asking about what some lenses i should buy to be set or covered for most areas, i am open to all recommendations.

For now i have the following lenses:

- Schneider SA 72mm XL
- Rodenstock APO Sironar-N 150mm
- Optar Wollensack 162mm [on my Graphic camera]

I just saw 135mm f4.7 Optar with good price [used], i will try not to miss it and get it now so to use it with Graphic cameras i have, i think i will use only 2 or 3 lenses with graphic camera, so if i got that 135 then i can wait long to think about the third one if wanted.

Now i am thinking much about some lenses such as 210, 240, 300, macro [120 or 180], which one of those you highly recommend to use? Say for portraits and still life/macro things, i don't plan to use that 162 and/or 135 on my Shen Hao camera, so i want to have another lenses for non Graphic cameras, what do you suggest?

Not in rush for those lenses, will buy that 135mm very soon before it is gone and i will have all my time to decide on those lenses i mentioned above i am thinking about.

Thanks!

munz6869
16-Sep-2013, 23:36
What I use most, and have narrowed down for travel over the last few years, is 65mm, 135mm & 300mm. I use 135mm the most. The 300mm f/5.6 I have is HUGE, and one day I'll replace it with a f/9 one I reckon. For portraiture specifically, I'd probably go for a 180 or 210mm.

Marc!

Professional
17-Sep-2013, 00:15
What I use most, and have narrowed down for travel over the last few years, is 65mm, 135mm & 300mm. I use 135mm the most. The 300mm f/5.6 I have is HUGE, and one day I'll replace it with a f/9 one I reckon. For portraiture specifically, I'd probably go for a 180 or 210mm.

Marc!

Thank you very much, Marc!!!

Well, 65mm is not in my list and i have 72mm will be fine at the widest range, and 135mm i am ordering very soon for my Speed and Crown Graphic cameras, so i will be left with 180/210/300 and anything else.

That 300mm i was thinking it will be good for 8x10 mostly as it will be wide maybe or normal, it is the least lens i was thinking about and maybe it will be the last one i may buy.

Noah A
17-Sep-2013, 07:54
You can do a lot with a 120mm and a 210mm. That's what I end up using most of the time, with the 120 taking care of 70-80 percent of my photographs and the 210 around 15-20 percent.

I have a 72XL for when I need something wider and a 150 for the very rare times I need something in between. But really, I could live with just the first two lenses and be perfectly happy.

Since the 120 and 210 are so important to me I have a few of each...backup is a good thing. But I don't think we need to worry too much about the supply of LF lenses. There are a ton of lenses floating around on the used market and I suspect there will be for some time. I just have backups for when I travel--if something were to happen to my 120 I'd be out of luck if I didn't have a spare.

Bill_1856
17-Sep-2013, 08:06
If you don't know what you need, then you don't need it. Save your money.

Jac@stafford.net
17-Sep-2013, 08:15
I am trying to get more gear of LF before some or most are gone or difficult to get [...]

Relax. LF gear is more available than ever, and it will continue to become less expensive and easier to find.

Professional
17-Sep-2013, 08:19
You can do a lot with a 120mm and a 210mm. That's what I end up using most of the time, with the 120 taking care of 70-80 percent of my photographs and the 210 around 15-20 percent.

I have a 72XL for when I need something wider and a 150 for the very rare times I need something in between. But really, I could live with just the first two lenses and be perfectly happy.

Since the 120 and 210 are so important to me I have a few of each...backup is a good thing. But I don't think we need to worry too much about the supply of LF lenses. There are a ton of lenses floating around on the used market and I suspect there will be for some time. I just have backups for when I travel--if something were to happen to my 120 I'd be out of luck if I didn't have a spare.

Thank you very much!

I will keep my eyes on those 2 lenses and see which will be the next one, i feel mostly it will be 210mm, but who knows, i can change mind anytime later in the future.

If you don't know what you need, then you don't need it. Save your money.

Yes, i heard that a lot but it will not change the fact that i want to buy more, that 162mm was bought with Crown Graphic and i found them cheap, so i can say it wasn't a big deal, also that Rody 150mm was a part of a kit i bought of Shen Hao, the price of the whole kit wasn't that expensive at all for me, so the lesn wasn't so expensive after all, so the only lens that costs me something was that SK SA 72XL, so buying another lens will not be a big deal, sure i will choose a lens that will have use, 150 didn't get my vote much, 72 for me is the ideal wide angle lens because 95% of my photography with DSLR done with WA lenses from 16mm up to 40mm [except for all my sports football], so this lens will have good usage for sure, but i wanted a lens at longer end, longer than 150mm for more tighter portraits or for still life, so that i added also a macro lens as an option, i don't know now what i need doesn't mean i will not use at all or never need it, mostly it starts as a want and then it turned to be as a need or must.

Professional
17-Sep-2013, 08:27
Relax. LF gear is more available than ever, and it will continue to become less expensive and easier to find.

I tend to agree as gear, but not as films, and i don't want to wait 5-10 years to get one lens or more, get them all now as long they are available and then later i worry if they are still available or less expensive.

As i said above just before this post, i didn't waste big budget on LF lenses so far for brand NEW so far, i know most here will go with used, i do get both, new and used, have 2 and was going to order one more used lens today but i had an issue with my credit card, hope that used lens will stay available as i found it at very great price, who knows.

I took a break to do photography since last year or since 2011, recovered almost this year so i want to use film more often and i am planning to put LF under serious use, i took the chance of that break from photography to read more about LF and gear and films, and mostly i know what things i would like to do, lenses choice is always a confusing topic, i can say i will buy 3 specific lenses and done, but i prefer to ask and see what most here recommend or use for what applications, sure one lens or 2 will get higher votes over another lenses, i saw examples from almost all lenses i can imagine and that never help, so i try to narrow my selection to minimum but quality wise choice over just get 10 all used and then i only use 3-4 out of them.

Karl A
17-Sep-2013, 10:06
How much bellows draw do you have on your camera? That is one factor that could prevent you from using longer lenses.

I would look at a 210, which is considered "normal" by a lot of photographers, and which is getting into a better focal length for portraits. It is approximately equivalent to 60 mm in 35 mm format.

I have used a 360 on a 4x5 Sinar, and that opens up a lot of different possibilities. I don't shoot portraits, but that would be the one to use for a tight head and shoulders without cropping. You must have enough bellows for this of course. And this lens is quite heavy, since it is built to cover 8x10. There is a Schneider compact 350 available which could be better for 4x5 (Apo-Tele-Xenar).

Those are my thoughts based on my experience, I don't claim to be an expert though...

Alan Gales
17-Sep-2013, 10:09
210mm lenses are dirt cheap right now and the 210mm focal length is very versatile and great for portraits and still lifes. You can get a really nice example f/5.6 lens in any brand for $200.00 or less off Ebay. I own a Caltar ll-E f/6.8 (Rodenstock Geronar) for my Crown Graphic. Lately I have see a few of them go for less than $100.00. Again this was on Ebay and in both Caltar and Rodenstock versions.

If you have the bellows length, the Nikkor-M 300mm is a great lens for 4x5 and will cover 8x10. Backpackers love it for 4x5 but I don't think you would have much wiggle room on an 8x10. The only problem is that it is razor sharp and I feel too sharp for portraits but to each their own.

Professional
17-Sep-2013, 10:38
How much bellows draw do you have on your camera? That is one factor that could prevent you from using longer lenses.

I would look at a 210, which is considered "normal" by a lot of photographers, and which is getting into a better focal length for portraits. It is approximately equivalent to 60 mm in 35 mm format.

I have used a 360 on a 4x5 Sinar, and that opens up a lot of different possibilities. I don't shoot portraits, but that would be the one to use for a tight head and shoulders without cropping. You must have enough bellows for this of course. And this lens is quite heavy, since it is built to cover 8x10. There is a Schneider compact 350 available which could be better for 4x5 (Apo-Tele-Xenar).

Those are my thoughts based on my experience, I don't claim to be an expert though...

From my camera specifications it says: "Bellows extension from 50mm-360mm", so what does that means?

Thanks for your options.

210mm lenses are dirt cheap right now and the 210mm focal length is very versatile and great for portraits and still lifes. You can get a really nice example f/5.6 lens in any brand for $200.00 or less off Ebay. I own a Caltar ll-E f/6.8 (Rodenstock Geronar) for my Crown Graphic. Lately I have see a few of them go for less than $100.00. Again this was on Ebay and in both Caltar and Rodenstock versions.

If you have the bellows length, the Nikkor-M 300mm is a great lens for 4x5 and will cover 8x10. Backpackers love it for 4x5 but I don't think you would have much wiggle room on an 8x10. The only problem is that it is razor sharp and I feel too sharp for portraits but to each their own.

Yes, i saw that, but i was thinking to buy brand NEW 210 and from Schneider as it is the bigger IC of 210 i have read about, so that may come handy one day, i may buy a camera with more coverage or better movements room, so having a lens with larger IC may has its place, cheap or not cheap is not a big deal, if i a buy a lens and it is phenomenal then it is not a waste, i was thinking to buy 210 new for my Shen Hao or another newer camera and buy another used cheap 210 for my Graphics camera only, Caltar is a great quality from what i see and read.

John Kasaian
17-Sep-2013, 10:59
It's way too easy to become equipment driven. Use what you have and add on as a need arises. Add some different perspectives to your vision before adding different stuff to your kit bag. It's fun to experiment with old lenses but don't let that take priority over your goals. My 2-cents anyway.

Professional
17-Sep-2013, 11:15
It's way too easy to become equipment driven. Use what you have and add on as a need arises. Add some different perspectives to your vision before adding different stuff to your kit bag. It's fun to experiment with old lenses but don't let that take priority over your goals. My 2-cents anyway.

I will try my best, thanks!!!

Alan Gales
17-Sep-2013, 12:38
Caltar is a great quality from what i see and read.

Caltar is just a rebadged whatever. The later ones are Rodenstock or Schneider. The earlier ones can be Topcon, Ilex or whatever. The reason to want a Caltar over the name brand is that they usually sell cheaper.

I really like my lilttle Caltar (Geronar) 210 because it is small and can fold into my Crown Graphic. Plus it is a nice portrait lens.

If you are not sure what you want then buy used. You can always sell later for near what you paid if it doesn't work for you. If you sell a lens purchased new you will take a big hit if you sell it.

Professional
17-Sep-2013, 13:06
Caltar is just a rebadged whatever. The later ones are Rodenstock or Schneider. The earlier ones can be Topcon, Ilex or whatever. The reason to want a Caltar over the name brand is that they usually sell cheaper.

I really like my lilttle Caltar (Geronar) 210 because it is small and can fold into my Crown Graphic. Plus it is a nice portrait lens.

If you are not sure what you want then buy used. You can always sell later for near what you paid if it doesn't work for you. If you sell a lens purchased new you will take a big hit if you sell it.

Yes, i know that about Caltar, i didn't see many Caltar around, most i saw is between $100 and $600 depending on the condition used, and depends on which site they sell.

Well, i only buy new the lenses i will use most, and i don't sell even if i don't use it unless i buy same FL lens but better performance somehow, such as 210 f9 and 210 f5.6, so if i bought f9 version i will never sell it until i get f5.6 for example, i don't sell if i have different FLs, if i have 2 lenses at same FL then i sell the least of both.

Karl A
17-Sep-2013, 13:22
From my camera specifications it says: "Bellows extension from 50mm-360mm", so what does that means?

That means the shortest the bellows can fold up to is 50 mm, and the longest it can extend is 360 mm. So you should not try to use a 360 mm lens with that bellows, because it will be stretched all the way to the maximum just to focus on infinity, and you would not be able to focus closer because the bellows is already at its limit. A 210 lens should not be a problem in most situations, but of course you still can't extend it further than the bellows will allow so that creates a limit to how close you can focus. Hope that helps.

Professional
17-Sep-2013, 15:04
That means the shortest the bellows can fold up to is 50 mm, and the longest it can extend is 360 mm. So you should not try to use a 360 mm lens with that bellows, because it will be stretched all the way to the maximum just to focus on infinity, and you would not be able to focus closer because the bellows is already at its limit. A 210 lens should not be a problem in most situations, but of course you still can't extend it further than the bellows will allow so that creates a limit to how close you can focus. Hope that helps.

Yes, i know that because i tried to extend to maximum and i know what limitations i can get from that.

Sounds 210 has been mentioned a lot here and there, means it is a normal standard lens to get and use, well, maybe i will buy it after i come from my vacation later, not in rush and i will have time for more details and i will decide on which one on time.

Thank you very much!

Professional
18-Sep-2013, 06:26
Ok, an updated news:

The issue with my deposit to my credit card has been solved, so i ordered many things including a lens, 135mm f4.7 Optar, i was thinking about SK Xenar, but i found an amazing price for that Optar one so i didn't wait any longer, so what will be the difference between those 2 lenses? the only one difference i found and know about is that the SK one has shutter speed up to 500 while Optar is until 400, i don't know about the type of shutter between the two, anything else?

Now if i want to buy new LF lenses, they will be 90, 210, maybe 300, so if i exclude those out of used purchase, what else i can think about? 240mm maybe? or 360mm although my bellow extension don't allow for movements and be at maximum limit [unless i buy another LF body that has longer bellow extension]? I will look at different used lenses now that are not 90/210/300 and see what i can find.

Professional
29-Sep-2013, 10:55
Just received the lens i ordered from Post office, it is an Optar 135mm f4.7, but the shutter is not functional properly as stated, was expected that as long it was so cheap, i hope i can find a place where i can repair it if it can be repaired [in my country].