PDA

View Full Version : Unusual markings on my 1/4 Plate CC Harrison portrait lens

CCHarrison
15-Sep-2013, 13:41
I wonder what you all think of the unusual markings on the back of the flange.

Please see http://antiquecameras.net/blog.html

Dan

Steven Tribe
15-Sep-2013, 13:55
Recycling of a round brass plate from some sort of naval/surveying/astronomical instrument.
I have used all sorts of brass in making the elusive flanges

goamules
15-Sep-2013, 15:25
Wow, that is strange, especially on what would be the inside of the flange against the wood. Perhaps it's like Steven says, just a recycled ring from something else. Very cool though, and I like these early American daguerreotype lenses, as you know.

Keith Fleming
15-Sep-2013, 20:20
I think Steven is right. For an optical equipment manufacturer, there would be advantages to using brass castings that would serve on more than one type of optical device--or that could be pressed into service if regular flanges were in short supply one day.

Keith

Vincent Pidone
16-Sep-2013, 18:06
Useful for portraits:

That's Hiroshi Sugimoto.

Mark Sawyer
17-Sep-2013, 10:18
I'll go with Steven on this one too, probably recycled from other use. The only thing I can think of for having such markings on a lens would be measuring rotation for astigmatism, but that's still a wild and pretty unlikely guess...

Is there an engraved marking on the barrel to line up with the degree marks on the flange?

CCHarrison
17-Sep-2013, 14:58
Hi Mark,

No markings on the barrel.

I could buy into the recycle theory except I have a hard time imagining what else this flange could have been previously....

Dan

goamules
17-Sep-2013, 17:19
The top of a tripod, transit, telescope mount...to start with the "T"s!

CCHarrison
17-Sep-2013, 18:17
Ah yes.... But it just so happens to align precisely with the flange for a 1/4 plate photo lens ? The markings align perfectly with the flange. I don't see how it's possible. But I'm stubborn.

hoffner
18-Sep-2013, 04:04
Ah yes.... But it just so happens to align precisely with the flange for a 1/4 plate photo lens ? The markings align perfectly with the flange. I don't see how it's possible. But I'm stubborn.

Yes, it was recycled precisely for that reason - because it happened to be precise match. A nice example of a correct early industrial economic decision. I have found such examples on other brass parts too, even if not in the optical industry.

cowanw
18-Sep-2013, 06:06
Perhaps an exam/exercise for an apprentice?