PDA

View Full Version : 11x14 on the cheap side

Orestis
14-Sep-2013, 04:45
Hello,

i plan on building my own large format camera soon and my main concern is the available lenses for the format i chose (11x14). Through google and forum search i ended up with Nikkor 480 and Rodenstock 480mm f9 as some of the cheapest solutions. I'm not looking for ultra high quality, just a decent lens to get started. Any suggestions? Will those two cover 11x14?

Thank you very much!

Lachlan 717
14-Sep-2013, 06:05
The Nikkor's a great lens. How are you going to expose with it, given it's in a barrel?

Orestis
14-Sep-2013, 06:54
I plan to use a cap as shutter, in the 3-30s range probably
My concern is whether these are good lenses to start with. I've read that the nikkor is unusable past mid-frame, is it true? I'm not looking for "pixel-peeping" quality but i would like to look elsewhere for a lens if the result image is too blurry

Andrew Plume
15-Sep-2013, 02:47
Hi

take a look at this excellent resource:

http://www.allenrumme.com/lensdb/DBIntro-1.html

if you're after a shuttered lens, the convertible Turner-Reich may be worth considering, although there are (I understand) mixed views regarding it's abilities and when found it's not overly expensive.............the larger Nikkor's are very good performers

regards

andrew

TheToadMen
15-Sep-2013, 04:22
Check out Reinhold: http://www.re-inventedphotoequip.com/Home.html
He builds nice (cheap) lenses also suitable for ultra large format.
I bought his new 790 mm lens (http://www.re-inventedphotoequip.com/ULF%20Lens.html) recently, even good for 24x30" format!!

Here you'll find the info on what lens to choose for your format:
http://www.re-inventedphotoequip.com/Data_files/Coverage-1.pdf
and
http://www.re-inventedphotoequip.com/Data.html

Orestis
15-Sep-2013, 05:38
I can't thank you enough for all this info. Much obliged!! I'll update this thread every step of the way, thank you!

Steven Tribe
15-Sep-2013, 14:25
I think your main concern should be film holders. These are not an easily made item!

jp
15-Sep-2013, 17:59
There are cheap hundred year old 40cm/4.5 tessars that show up if you are patient. I've used 14x17 with mine at portrait distances.

Reinholds lenses stopped down mid-way would be nice too for general use.

David Vickery
16-Sep-2013, 07:29
The Nikkor and Rodenstock lenses will be excellent for 11x14--certainly good enough to get started. Also keep an eye out for Artars and Kodak Copying Ektanons. The older Kodak copy lenses may simply be named Ektanon--I can't remember at the moment. All will be excellent, but my first preference for copy lenses on 11x14 would be the Artars. A 19" Artar would be perfect.
For a shutter on my barrel lenses I use a Patterson film development tank, for two rolls of film I think, lined with black velvet material. Once you get the procedure down it is really easy and you can time shorter exposures than three seconds too.

DrTang
17-Sep-2013, 08:02
I bet you could get an old barrel dagor cheap enough

Mark Sawyer
17-Sep-2013, 10:56
Cheap and sharp: and older process lens, (like the kind David Vickery mentioned, especially the Kodaks).

Cheap and fast: a long-ish projector lens, like a Buhl or Beseler. These are almost all triplets, and you'll need to cut the barrel for a Waterhouse Stop, if you want aperture control.

But if you're going through the trouble and expense of the 11x14 format, it seems a shame to skimp on the thing that actually makes the picture. For a little more, you might find a 450mm M or Q Nikkor in a Copal shutter, or something similar. And remember, a small scratch or two on an element won't affect performance, but will drop the value way down.

Jim Graves
18-Sep-2013, 15:27
The Wollensak 16" Velostigmat (f-6.3) triple convertible in a Betax shutter is also a good very price friendly alternative ... It was made for 11X14, is sharp and convertible, and the Betax shutters are sturdy performers.

One note on camera design ... make sure your lens board size is sufficient to handle the type of lenses you want to shoot ... I'd suggest a minimum size of 6" x 6" ... 11 x14 lenses tend to be big.

You might also send a PM (personal message) to Jim Fitzgerald and some of the other experienced camera builders on this Forum when you get into the design phase ... there's nothing like experienced advice to help you along ... and Jim's a very friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful guide.

Kirk Fry
18-Sep-2013, 18:53
I have read that 14 in Commercial Ektars cover 11X14, maybe not cheap enough....

Jim Galli
18-Sep-2013, 19:04
You can get the ubiquitous Turner Reich 8X10 lenses sometimes for less than $200. They'll just cover 1114 I think, but the rear element alone is a 19" lens that would cover in spades, and if you've got bellows galore, the 25" or 28" rear will cover oodles.

goamules
19-Sep-2013, 07:06
Jim mentions the poor man's convertible, which is actually a fine lens. Also, I've had several relatively cheap Protar VIIs that cover 11x14. Look up the right lengths you'll need in the catalog on Cameraeccentric.

Jim Galli
19-Sep-2013, 07:48
Jim mentions the poor man's convertible, which is actually a fine lens. Also, I've had several relatively cheap Protar VIIs that cover 11x14. Look up the right lengths you'll need in the catalog on Cameraeccentric.

Same goes for the Wollensak Series 1 (http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/Conley/1114Conley.html) (old version, I like very much) and the newer Series 1a that I've never cared much for. These are convertibles and will cover 11X14 combined but will cover much better as single anastigmats like mentioned above.

Orestis
20-Sep-2013, 06:59
I've made an offer to a seller on ebay and i bought a Rodenstock 480 F9 apo-ronar. I'm eager to receive it!

One note on camera design ... make sure your lens board size is sufficient to handle the type of lenses you want to shoot ... I'd suggest a minimum size of 6" x 6" ... 11 x14 lenses tend to be big.

You might also send a PM (personal message) to Jim Fitzgerald and some of the other experienced camera builders on this Forum when you get into the design phase ... there's nothing like experienced advice to help you along ... and Jim's a very friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful guide.

Jim, thank you very much for the heads up on the lens board! I've read a mr.Fitzgeralds and others thread on the diy department but i don't feel comfortable bothering them with questions yet.. The info i got here is more than i expected

I'll get to work when the lens arrives. I know that the film holder will be a real pain to get right but i was thinking about building a one off to get me started and then a reduction back for 8x10 film holders that i'll buy used online.

Carl J
15-Feb-2014, 10:19
Just out of curiosity, how is this project going?

Thanks.

Jim Fitzgerald
15-Feb-2014, 10:33
I think I saw a 15" Ilex process lens on the bay for 50.00. I have two of these lenses. Covers my 11x14 and my 8x20. Sharp as hell and cheap! F-9. So a 375-380 barrel lens that is a sleeper in my opinion. I use mine as my standard lens on my 11x14.

Carl J
16-Feb-2014, 01:17
Jim's recommendation of the Ilex is spot on.

Orestis
16-Feb-2014, 07:57
Just out of curiosity, how is this project going?

Thanks.

The base plate and the focusing mechanism are done and i've cut two lens-boards so far. This week i plan to work on the rear standard and hopefully soon i'll put all the pieces together. I'll post some pics from the focusing rail mechanism on tuesday cause i'm out of town at the moment

Carl J
24-Feb-2014, 23:41
Great. Will look forward to the pics when you get the chance. Thanks!

Orestis
25-Feb-2014, 05:47
Sorry for taking so long to post them!