PDA

View Full Version : kodak enlarging ektanon f:4.5 10in

TimeShare
13-Sep-2013, 08:22
Would anyone have experience with this lens for 8x10 format ?

Appropriate coverage for 8x10 ?

Quality ?

Thank you

Tin Can
13-Sep-2013, 08:28
I just put one in a Elwood 8x10 enlarger, but I bet you want to shoot with it.

Mine is new to me, so I have no experience either way, except right now it seems to be fine on the enlarging easel. I am playing with light bulbs...

TimeShare
13-Sep-2013, 08:29
Yes, I would like to shoot with it on a Kodak Eastman No.2 8x10 view camera

ic-racer
13-Sep-2013, 08:37
I just put one in a Elwood 8x10 enlarger, but I bet you want to shoot with it.

Mine is new to me, so I have no experience either way, except right now it seems to be fine on the enlarging easel. I am playing with light bulbs...

From Camerapedia:

These 4 element Tessar design lenses were used on large format enlargers where relatively small enlargements were needed.

Since 16x20" is only 2x that lens might work fine for most of your enlarging needs, unless you are going real big. Let us know how it works out.

TimeShare
13-Sep-2013, 08:57
From Camerapedia:

Since 16x20" is only 2x that lens might work fine for most of your enlarging needs, unless you are going real big. Let us know how it works out.

I actually want to shoot with it, not use it on an enlarger. It would be used on an 8x10 Kodak Eastman

Ari
13-Sep-2013, 09:16
It is possible to use an enlarging lens as a taking lens, but you won't know if you like the results until you try.
Shoot with it, and let us know how it looks to you.

TimeShare
13-Sep-2013, 15:53
It is possible to use an enlarging lens as a taking lens, but you won't know if you like the results until you try.
Shoot with it, and let us know how it looks to you.

I would love to but I haven't bought it yet ... LOL ... I was trying to establish if it covers 8x10 before I purchased it.

Peter De Smidt
13-Sep-2013, 16:47
I have one. I'd put in on a camera, but it's in an Elwood bowl mount, and I haven't been able to remove it from the mount. I doubt it would cover 8x10 at infinity.

cowanw
13-Sep-2013, 16:49
should do
http://www.bnphoto.org/bnphoto/KodakEktarsDB6-Enlg.htm

Peter De Smidt
13-Sep-2013, 16:57
Covering at enlargement magnifications doesn't mean it'll cover 8x10 at infinity. For example, at 1:1 magnification it'll cover twice what it would at infinity.

Dan Fromm
13-Sep-2013, 17:01
Um, what are you going to use for a shutter?

Tin Can
13-Sep-2013, 18:08
Peter, what is an Elwood 'bowl mount'? I have 4 Elwoods and have no idea!

My 10" Kodak lens mounted with a flange to a wood lens board. All obtained separately.

I have one. I'd put in on a camera, but it's in an Elwood bowl mount, and I haven't been able to remove it from the mount. I doubt it would cover 8x10 at infinity.

TimeShare
13-Sep-2013, 18:15
should do
http://www.bnphoto.org/bnphoto/KodakEktarsDB6-Enlg.htm

From one Canadian to another ... thank you for posting this valuable chart ! A fellow Hamiltonian, I worked in the steel mills of Dofasco at one time.

TimeShare
13-Sep-2013, 18:16
Covering at enlargement magnifications doesn't mean it'll cover 8x10 at infinity. For example, at 1:1 magnification it'll cover twice what it would at infinity.

Thank you Peter.

TimeShare
13-Sep-2013, 18:17
Um, what are you going to use for a shutter?

I haven't got that far yet !

Peter De Smidt
13-Sep-2013, 18:53
Randy, I'll take a picture tomorrow. It allows the lens to be tilted without needing to tilt the lens board. It's like nested bowls, with two pivot pins along the edge. When a knob is loosened, the bowl with the lens can pivot while staying nested in the other bowl, which keeps the system light tight.

If the lens is super cheap, then give it a try. If not, then you might want to keep a look out for a 240mm G-claron or similar. Those will give 8x10 stopped down. In a barrel, they aren't that expensive.

Roger Hesketh
22-Sep-2013, 11:36
I have one. I have never used but somebody clearly considered it worth using as a taking lens as it came attached to a 5x7 Eastman View Camera.

Tin Can
22-Sep-2013, 12:05
Hi Peter, I just noticed you added the picture. Yes, now I recognize it from the owners manual. Unfortunately even plain Elwood lens boards are more rare than the very rare intact enlargers. I have a 5x7 and a 8x10 set up and operational, nice they use the same lensboards.

I suppose I don't really need the adjustable lens board or the tilting table that was also an accessory.

I will try to follow Deardorff motto of get the image perspective, projection correct in camera instead of in post.

I do have the aluminum Elwood reduction extension lens board, which is cool, but I have not really thought of a practical usage.

I often use the 5x7 as a copy stand.

Randy, I'll take a picture tomorrow. It allows the lens to be tilted without needing to tilt the lens board. It's like nested bowls, with two pivot pins along the edge. When a knob is loosened, the bowl with the lens can pivot while staying nested in the other bowl, which keeps the system light tight.

If the lens is super cheap, then give it a try. If not, then you might want to keep a look out for a 240mm G-claron or similar. Those will give 8x10 stopped down. In a barrel, they aren't that expensive.

Peter De Smidt
22-Sep-2013, 12:05
"5x7" being an important element of that line of reasoning.