PDA

View Full Version : Mark Woods Exhibit in Pasadena Central Library

Mark Woods
12-Sep-2013, 10:40
Mark Woods has two exhibits currently at the Pasadena Central Library for the month of September. One exhibit is Berkeley 1968 - 1973 the other exhibit is Pictorialism in the Huntington Gardens. The two rooms are the Centennial Room and the other is in the Humanities Room. The address of the library is:

Pasadena Central Library
285 E. Walnut St.
Pasadena, CA 91101

matthew blais
12-Sep-2013, 11:31
Sounds cool Mark, best of luck

tgtaylor
12-Sep-2013, 11:52
That looks great Mark - wish it wasn't so far of a drive or I would definitely want to see this.

The second exhibit Pictorialism in the Huntington Gardens just gave me an idea for a weekend project with the 8x10: We have the Japanese Tea Garden in Golden Gate Park that would work well with an "alternative" interpretation.

Thomas

Mark Woods
12-Sep-2013, 14:37
Thomas, I love your quote from Bergman. The shots in the show are all done with my 8x10 Deardorff. Love that camera.

Mark Woods
12-Sep-2013, 14:39
Hello Matthew, I actually have some photos with Matt at Gallery 256 in San Bernardino.

Jim Fitzgerald
12-Sep-2013, 17:08
Mark, I want to get over to see this. Congratulations.

Mark Woods
12-Sep-2013, 17:10
Let me know when you're coming over and I'll buy you a coffee.

Merg Ross
12-Sep-2013, 18:09
Those were some turbulent and interesting years in Berkeley. I lived on Dwight Way and worked a few blocks up Telegraph Ave. on Bancroft Way. Did you photograph the People's Park fiasco in '69? I got tear gassed several times, from the ground and the air, before the National Gaurd arrived in town.

Congratulations on your exhibit, wish it were closer. I hope you attract a lot of folks!

Mark Woods
12-Sep-2013, 21:40
Hello Merg,
People's Park is in the exhibition from the very beginning. I also shot LF images of it in 2004 with the lawns, etc. But there are the craftspeople, local police, and students. I have over 4000 negatives from that period. I was the official photographer for Cal for the Jazz Festivals. It's pretty amazing about all the material I have. BTW, I've been tear gassed about 300 times. I used to go to classes with a lemon wedge and a wet handkerchief in a baggie most days so I could breathe. It still burned my eyes, but at least I could breathe.

tgtaylor
13-Sep-2013, 07:49
I arrived in the mid eighties and remember the People Park riots/disturbances which were or are ongoing. I also vividly recall the wood hotel (I can't recall the name...Peoples Hotel, berkeley Hotel...?) that stood on the corner of Telegraph near the park that burned down. The last time I saw the hotel while it was still operating I remember this tall lanky guy coming out onto the porch dressed in blue jeans,cowboy boots, and a western hat...lol...that's the picture that forms in my mind everytime I pass that site which is now fenced off with and decorated with politically correct "art" murals.

Thomas

Hugo Zhang
13-Sep-2013, 08:19
HiMark,

I will go to Pasadena to see your pictures!~

Hugo

Mark Woods
13-Sep-2013, 09:17
I did a LF shot of that lot. I have no idea is it's been built on yet. And Cody's plaza was vacant. I have no idea what going on there. The city has hugely changed.

Mark Woods
13-Sep-2013, 09:17
Thanks Hugo. Let me know when and I'll buy you a coffee.

tgtaylor
13-Sep-2013, 12:45
I did a LF shot of that lot. I have no idea is it's been built on yet. And Cody's plaza was vacant. I have no idea what going on there. The city has hugely changed.

It hasn't been built on yet - just torn down (after years of sitting there as a burned out hulk) with a fence around it to keep people out. It was a residential hotel and a lot of rock stars stayed there. Cody's closed a few years back - I think there is another business in that space now - but Moe's and the Mediterranean are still there.

Thomas

Merg Ross
13-Sep-2013, 13:56
Hello Merg,
People's Park is in the exhibition from the very beginning. I also shot LF images of it in 2004 with the lawns, etc. But there are the craftspeople, local police, and students. I have over 4000 negatives from that period. I was the official photographer for Cal for the Jazz Festivals. It's pretty amazing about all the material I have. BTW, I've been tear gassed about 300 times. I used to go to classes with a lemon wedge and a wet handkerchief in a baggie most days so I could breathe. It still burned my eyes, but at least I could breathe.

Hi Mark,
Those were the days, things have calmed down considerably --- the best we could do recently was a camp-in to save the main post office, a real architectural gem. The police cleared it out without the familiar riots of yore. You were there very early in the history of the Jazz Festivals --- I recall them at the Greek Theatre with Miles Davis, Carmen McRae, Thelonious Monk etc., great stuff!
I worked at Kirwan Graphic Arts shop across from the SU on Bancroft Way as chief photographer and process cameraman during that time. We did a lot of work for UC, printed event posters and photographed campus events --- Perhaps our paths crossed during those years, I recall being on Telegraph Ave. the afternoon that James Rector was killed. Anyway, your announcement brought back a lot of memories and it is wonderful to know that you have preserved so many on film. Have you ever contacted the Oakland Museum or Bancroft Library with your work? Seems like a natural for their collections.

brucetaylor
13-Sep-2013, 15:33
I can't wait to see the show, I'm coming out tomorrow afternoon. I grew up in Berkeley, an awful lot of turbulence and plenty of tragedy during that time period ('60's- 70's). Undoubtedly good came out of it, but not without a lot of pain.

I'm sure I saw your work from the Jazz festival when I was a kid. I was a big jazz fan, and that was a golden time for the art form.

Mark Woods
13-Sep-2013, 19:12
I'm really happy to hear from you all. Merg, I didn't realize that you were still in Berkeley. I shot the Miles Davis concert and have images from it. I rode from the Green room to the stage with him and his "doctor." That was amazing. I also had shots in/and help organize the "Berkeley: A Self Portrait" published by the ASUC and in the yearbook. I am going to give a selection of prints and all of the negatives to the Bancroft. I've been in contact with them for the last couple of years. Bruce, I'm busy tomorrow afternoon with a meeting of the Pasadena Society of Artists. We'll wrap up around 3 p.m. You can call me to see if I'm finished. I'll send you an off list message with my cell number.