PDA

View Full Version : Great app for managing your Film Holders

angusparker
11-Sep-2013, 09:00
You can read about the film holders app here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/holders/id445527423?mt=8

And here is a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADrLJsm0D0Q

Harley Goldman
11-Sep-2013, 14:37
Thanks for the heads up on this. I downloaded it and will give a try next time out.

Eric Rose
11-Sep-2013, 15:28
Geez whatever happened to paper and pencil. The day I need any "app" that has anything to do with LF I'm throwing in the towel.

thomasfallon
11-Sep-2013, 15:46
I like it.

jeroldharter
11-Sep-2013, 16:07
I like it, thanks.

thomasfallon
11-Sep-2013, 16:15
I'd want to carry a notebook why, when I have my phone in my pocket?

angusparker
11-Sep-2013, 17:42
Forgot to say the app is free.

Tori Nelson
11-Sep-2013, 18:23
OMG, that guys hangnail was too distracting to see what good the app might be.:p

ROL
11-Sep-2013, 19:01
Note to self: Keep fingernails and cuticles well manicured as women will only see those and not the intended content of any presentation.:rolleyes:

P.S. I foolishly downloaded it anyway and will give it a go next outing despite the "obvious flaws" of not being paper and pencil ...nor manicured.

Tori Nelson
11-Sep-2013, 21:39
Let us know how that goes ;)

Light Guru
11-Sep-2013, 21:40
I tried that app and the UI is horrible. Any app that has not been touched by the developer since its release more then 2 years ago is not going to be good.

AtlantaTerry
11-Sep-2013, 22:18
I used a Brother P-Touch 2430 PC label printer to create numbers from 0 to 200 in order to number each side of my sheet film holders. (I do not yet have 100 holders, but I am close.)

This week and next I am going to file notches into the end flaps that match the Brother label numbers. The files create gaps that are rectangular, triangular and half-round. Using those three shapes I can create a number code that runs from 0 to 999 - far more than enough.

When I am creating photographs, I make notes in a hard back 5x7 inch book that includes subject, exposure, sheet film holder side, etc.

angusparker
11-Sep-2013, 22:29
I tried that app and the UI is horrible. Any app that has not been touched by the developer since its release more then 2 years ago is not going to be good.

Really? I thought its a pretty good UI for a free app.

Steve Goldstein
12-Sep-2013, 06:10
The UI could be better, but hey, it's free and it's better than I could do.

One thing that would have been nice would be to have it already aware of some or all films from Foma/Fuji/Ilford/Kodak. Face it, there just aren't that many choices in LF film anymore, this wouldn't be too hard and would simplify initial setup.
But this is all academic, I doubt the developer reads this forum...

Jim Noel
12-Sep-2013, 08:24
Geez whatever happened to paper and pencil. The day I need any "app" that has anything to do with LF I'm throwing in the towel.
I'm with you.

rcmartins
12-Sep-2013, 09:14
I must confess that the input to these things detract me from the photographic mood since they tend to be cumbersome (phones keyboards and menu navigation) and lenghty in duration. This is not a statement regarding this particular app, but any app that requires database input in the field. It just does not work for me. I use the pencil and notebook approach and when really in a hurry I do use my phone but just to make an oral recording for later input (hand-written). This funcionality (voice recording) could help some photographers. Another thing that has led to my general disbelief for these on the field information gathering apps is their inherent incapability to cope with change. One's deepening into the wonders of development and printing will inevitabely lead to different needs for data collection during exposure which most probably give rise to a frustration in the use of the app.
It's a nice effort, no doubt, but a voice recognition for fast filling of the fields and a customizable and easy to set up database field configuration would certainly make it much, much better. For me, at least.
raul

ROL
12-Sep-2013, 09:15
Note to self: Bring sizable towel to throw in.

billie williams
12-Sep-2013, 10:14
Note to self: Bring sizable towel to throw in.

Hang in there - it was great of you to post about this. I do have one question - can you save the info you typed in during the shoot? Or does it go away when you hit the unload button?

photobymike
12-Sep-2013, 11:25
Yea i like it but there would be a few suggestions i could make to make input faster. When i take pictures i dont want to fiddle with my phone.

redrockcoulee
12-Sep-2013, 11:35
Eric

Dana uses my iPod when shooting LF pinhole, one app has a pinhole light meter and then she uses the built in timer.

I will download it and she if she wishes to use it for her holders. I use the "carry pencil and paper and forget to use either of them" system.

Ivan

Steve Sherman
12-Sep-2013, 17:33
I would use this app if it had a direct link to the record function so that info could be entered in via the spoken word rather than written or worst typed into an Iphone with auto spell correct.
Nice, hope to see that feature become reality.
Cheers!

daleeman
19-Sep-2013, 06:03
Interesting app. I agree that it should alow audio notes and a button to associate a ihone photo to the film holder records. Also, something about A and B side would be nice.

unixrevolution
19-Sep-2013, 07:03

So much for bucking the stereotype that LF photographers are luddites.

I tried it, but keeping in the habit of using it was difficult for some reason. I've never been a good note taker.

Also, since it's on IOS I have to remember to take my old iPhone after switching to android.

bwlf
13-Aug-2017, 12:16
It looks like the app is no longer in the app store unfortunately, or maybe my iTunes and Apple Store apps are broken.

AtlantaTerry
14-Aug-2017, 01:42
I used a Brother P-Touch 2430 PC label printer to create numbers from 0 to 200 in order to number each side of my sheet film holders. (I do not yet have 100 holders, but I am close.)

This week and next I am going to file notches into the end flaps that match the Brother label numbers. The files create gaps that are rectangular, triangular and half-round. Using those three shapes I can create a number code that runs from 0 to 999 - far more than enough.

When I am creating photographs, I make notes in a hard back 5x7 inch book that includes subject, exposure, sheet film holder side, etc.

One thing I forgot to include in that posting was that I created an Excel spreadsheet in which I keep track of each of my over one hundred 4x5" sheet film holders:

* it's numbers (each side is unique; I don't use "A" / "B")
* when I bought it
* where I bought it
* how much I paid
* the condition it was in when I bought it (if not new)
* how I cleaned it, if needed
* any problems that show up when I use it
* etc.

This way if I ever want to buy more from a particular seller (or don't, in the case of problems) then I know my history with it.

My only interaction with the spreadsheet is when I purchase a sheet film holder and then later if it turns out to have a problem. Otherwise, I just keep written records in a 5x7" hard-backed notebook that are created when I expose the film and after developing.

A crappy cell phone screen shot of the Excel spreadsheet:

noisegate
9-Oct-2017, 12:32
Eric

Dana uses my iPod when shooting LF pinhole, one app has a pinhole light meter and then she uses the built in timer.

I will download it and she if she wishes to use it for her holders. I use the "carry pencil and paper and forget to use either of them" system.

Ivan

"I use the carry pencil and paper and forget to use either of them system" - so it's not just me?....I feel better now...thanks Ivan!

Willie
9-Oct-2017, 16:10
I'd want to carry a notebook why, when I have my phone in my pocket?

Batteries? Electronic failures? Ease of seeing in bright light conditions?

Willie
9-Oct-2017, 16:11
It looks like the app is no longer in the app store unfortunately, or maybe my iTunes and Apple Store apps are broken.

Like a pencil?

BennehBoy
10-Oct-2017, 01:36
I must be doing it completely wrong, I've never taken a note of what I shot, camera settings, or what sheet was in which holder to date.

Why would I need to?

Granted I'm still (just) this side of 50, so maybe all will become clear in time (or less clear?).

Jim Jones
10-Oct-2017, 05:33
I've done many things wrong in photography, but the notes I took on photos taken with a Univex Mercury II camera in 1952 made those mistakes a valuable learning experience.

MikeMGB
10-Oct-2017, 07:10
I'm brand new to LF, so far I have shot 6 sheets of film, currently I spend as much time making notes as setting up the camera but those notes certainly help, my images are getting better. :)

Scott King
23-Sep-2019, 09:49
Any word on why this app went away, and/or if it's coming back?

Sven1965
29-Oct-2019, 07:23
I'd love to know as well. Upgraded iphone and lost the app. I really like the ability to print out sheets with all my data after a shoot. HELP!!!!

ghaak
28-Nov-2021, 07:19
Hi, I programmed a replacement app. You find it under the name "filmholders" on the Apple app store.
Please give me feedback if you use it.

r.e.
28-Nov-2021, 08:59
Hi, I programmed a replacement app. You find it under the name "filmholders" on the Apple app store.
Please give me feedback if you use it.

Hi Guido. I've installed your app on an iPhone 11 and it looks like it's going to be quite useful. One question. At the start, it asked me to input a camera name and a film. I entered an Arca-Swiss 4x5 and Ilford HP5+. However, it's not clear to me what the purpose of this information is. It doesn't reappear when I create a holder. What am I missing?

Delfi_r
28-Nov-2021, 10:00
I've downloaded your app, I appreciate the effort and I think it can be useful. I understand that as soon you enter all your filmholders you can get the most of it.

I have 4 LF cameras, 2 4x5" and 2 5x7" with reducing backs. I have 4x5", 9x12, 5x7" and 13x18 holders.

There are my observations

When I try to enter folders there is no information on its size: On a 5x7 camera you can put 5x7, 13x18 and Half Plate holders. On a 4x5" camera you can put 4x5" and 9x12 holders. On a 8x10" camera your choice is 8x10" and 18x24 holders.

Cameras have different backs, so for my 13x18 Technika I have a 4x5" back too so I need to record the back used and the metric or american size of film.

ghaak
28-Nov-2021, 23:06
Hi,
it is used when you expose the film in the holder. Then you can choose with which camera you exposed the film (under “Further Annotations”). The film type is used when you load the holder. Then you choose one of the films.
One user asked me to provide such a camera database but you can also just input free text. The camera database is not required. The film types are.
Hope that helps.
Best regards,
Guido

Hi Guido. I've installed your app on an iPhone 11 and it looks like it's going to be quite useful. One question. At the start, it asked me to input a camera name and a film. I entered an Arca-Swiss 4x5 and Ilford HP5+. However, it's not clear to me what the purpose of this information is. It doesn't reappear when I create a holder. What am I missing?

ghaak
28-Nov-2021, 23:11
Hi,
thanks for your input!
I will work on this for the next version!
Best regards,
Guido

I've downloaded your app, I appreciate the effort and I think it can be useful. I understand that as soon you enter all your filmholders you can get the most of it.

I have 4 LF cameras, 2 4x5" and 2 5x7" with reducing backs. I have 4x5", 9x12, 5x7" and 13x18 holders.

There are my observations

When I try to enter folders there is no information on its size: On a 5x7 camera you can put 5x7, 13x18 and Half Plate holders. On a 4x5" camera you can put 4x5" and 9x12 holders. On a 8x10" camera your choice is 8x10" and 18x24 holders.

Cameras have different backs, so for my 13x18 Technika I have a 4x5" back too so I need to record the back used and the metric or american size of film.

Delfi_r
29-Nov-2021, 03:49
Hi,
thanks for your input!
I will work on this for the next version!
Best regards,
Guido

You should make the film holder size independent of the camera, so you can use hoders of different sizes on the camera (Up its size). This way you can have choice of holders.

I understand that now I can make a 9x12 camera and using there 9x12 holders even if the app says they are 4x5" holders. But it's more elegant if you have metric denominations.

r.e.
29-Nov-2021, 11:08
Hi,
it is used when you expose the film in the holder. Then you can choose with which camera you exposed the film (under “Further Annotations”). The film type is used when you load the holder. Then you choose one of the films.
One user asked me to provide such a camera database but you can also just input free text. The camera database is not required. The film types are.
Hope that helps.
Best regards,
Guido

Hi Guido,

I've figured out the problem. I'm using an iPhone 11 Pro Max. In the first screen capture below, the film type is off-screen and not visible. In the second, I've made the film type (Ilford HP5+) partially visible by dragging to the left.

Am I doing something wrong or is this a problem that needs to be fixed?

I'd just like to add, having looked at your website, that I realise that you're doing this out of interest rather than for a living. I'm reluctant to raise questions about the app, and I hope that I'm not being a nuisance :)

ghaak
29-Nov-2021, 13:34
Hi r.e.,

sorry for that. I will look into an update to fix the screen format. It is very hard to anticipate what these apps look like on a phone you don't own, even if you use the simulators to test them. As a temporary fix please rotate the phone to show the complete width of the text.

And of course I appreciate your input. No worries, please:) If the app does not work nobody uses it.

Best regards,
Guido

Hi Guido,

I've figured out the problem. I'm using an iPhone 11 Pro Max. In the first screen capture below, the film type is off-screen and not visible. In the second, I've made the film type (Ilford HP5+) partially visible by dragging to the left.

Am I doing something wrong or is this a problem that needs to be fixed?

I'd just like to add, having looked at your website, that I realise that you're doing this out of interest rather than for a living. I'm reluctant to raise questions about the app, and I hope that I'm not being a nuisance :)

r.e.
29-Nov-2021, 14:57
Hi r.e.,

sorry for that. I will look into an update to fix the screen format. It is very hard to anticipate what these apps look like on a phone you don't own, even if you use the simulators to test them. As a temporary fix please rotate the phone to show the complete width of the text.

And of course I appreciate your input. No worries, please:) If the app does not work nobody uses it.

Best regards,
Guido

Hi Guido,

In my iPhone Settings, I had Larger Text > On. Turning it off fixed the problem.

I also had Control Centre > Rotation Lock set to On. Unlocking that and turning the phone 90° also fixes the problem.

ghaak
1-Dec-2021, 15:04
I just published an update including the possibility to define more camera(back) formats and to edit film types and camera models directly. Please check it out!

drew.saunders
1-Dec-2021, 17:54
Guido,

This is great! I used it today and exported as CSV to make it easier for me to deal with the data, but the focal length column wasn't properly exported. In the CSV, for the 6 entries (3 holders, 2 sides), the exposure compensation information ended up in the focal length column, even though the header remained.

Here's the header and one line from my CSV:

HOLDER LABEL;LOADED;FILM TYPE;EXPOSED;DATE EXPOSED;LOCATION;CAMERA;EXP.TIME;APERTURE;SHOT AT ISO;FOCAL LENGTH;BELLOWS COMP.
E-0;yes;Delta 100 100;yes;12/1/21, 2:48 PM;(37.43999, -122.14882);Ebony 45SU 4x5;1/4;8;100;1.5

As you can see, between the 100;1.5 at the end should be the focal length. I can fix it for this file, but just wanted to let you know about this bug.

Thanks again for making this! It sure beats my little notebook.

If I could make a request, allow us to import our lenses into a database just like the camera(s) so we can just pull that down in the annotations for each sheet.

Drew

ghaak
2-Dec-2021, 13:00
Thank you Drew,
I will fix this asap!
Also I will add the optional lens database but this may take a bit longer.

Best regards,
Guido

Guido,

This is great! I used it today and exported as CSV to make it easier for me to deal with the data, but the focal length column wasn't properly exported. In the CSV, for the 6 entries (3 holders, 2 sides), the exposure compensation information ended up in the focal length column, even though the header remained.

Here's the header and one line from my CSV:

HOLDER LABEL;LOADED;FILM TYPE;EXPOSED;DATE EXPOSED;LOCATION;CAMERA;EXP.TIME;APERTURE;SHOT AT ISO;FOCAL LENGTH;BELLOWS COMP.
E-0;yes;Delta 100 100;yes;12/1/21, 2:48 PM;(37.43999, -122.14882);Ebony 45SU 4x5;1/4;8;100;1.5

As you can see, between the 100;1.5 at the end should be the focal length. I can fix it for this file, but just wanted to let you know about this bug.

Thanks again for making this! It sure beats my little notebook.

If I could make a request, allow us to import our lenses into a database just like the camera(s) so we can just pull that down in the annotations for each sheet.

Drew

ghaak
6-Dec-2021, 06:57
New version 3.4 is out. CSV bug fixed, lens database added.
Please check it out!
Guido

Petzval Paul
7-Dec-2021, 11:09
Any chance of an android version?

ghaak
8-Dec-2021, 12:36
Unfortunately not. I don’t own any Android devices. However, if there is somebody out there who feels like porting the app to Android, I can make the source code available.

Any chance of an android version?

Marco Annaratone
8-Dec-2021, 14:15
Thank you very much for this software!

I have a Sinar P2 both 4x5" and 8x10". I cannot store both. I can select Sinar P2 4x5" and store it, but when I want to add a Sinar P2 8x10" it replaces the 4x5" with the 8x10".

ghaak
9-Dec-2021, 00:07
Hi Marco,
sorry do hear that. I will send a PM to further understand the issue and maybe share a screenshot.
Regards, Guido

Thank you very much for this software!

I have a Sinar P2 both 4x5" and 8x10". I cannot store both. I can select Sinar P2 4x5" and store it, but when I want to add a Sinar P2 8x10" it replaces the 4x5" with the 8x10".

ghaak
9-Dec-2021, 09:09
If anybody has the same issue as Marco please send a PM or use the feedback button on the app’s info page (linked under “Info version x.y” on the home screen.