PDA

View Full Version : I'm goin "Down Unda" in Decemba! Have a few questions of varying natures

Daniel Stone
10-Sep-2013, 23:18
Hey all,

I've just booked airfare to go down to Australia over Christmas. Leaving right at the beginning of December, staying through mid-January. Visiting family in the Sydney area, but also plan to rent a car a few times to do a bit of traveling to photograph! I have a few questions, if I may(not just Aussies are allowed to comment on this thread; as usual, anyone can :)):

1. Traveling w/ camera gear(customs):
Do I have to alert US customs & BP to what gear I'm taking with me? Opinions seem to vary online, but I'd like to hear from anyone w/ experience of this nature. I vaguely remember having to fill out customs forms when I went to Iceland a few years back, but don't remember the form #s.
I'm taking my 5X7 Deardorff, (4) lenses and (10) holders. Tripod and changing tent will be in my checked luggage. Camera equipment and film will be with me, in my carry-on. I'd like to not have to pay any duties or import fees upon re-entry.

2. Anyone want to meet up for a coffee?
I'd love to meet up with fellow LFF members while there, if I'm in your area! Will be staying up in the Linden/Springwood/Penrith area, or down in Pitt Town w/ family the majority of the time. I imagine I'll be in DT Sydney a few times(I DO want to photograph the bridge and opera house at dusk ;)), but do want to travel up north along the Gold Coast, inland, as well as down south. Not interested in "the sights" so to speak, but I like road trips and exploring the "backroads" as long as my rental car can handle it w/o needing a tow ;). EXPERIENCES, NOT THINGS!

3. Film processing(c-41 and E-6) in Syndey?
I sent a message to Stephen Frizza (Lighthouse owner/operator) over on APUG just now. Anyone know of his processing? Wanted to get a local's answer if possible. I need clean, accurate processing(doesn't everyone?); but don't mind having to bring the film back home to get processed if Sydney doesn't have a place that meets these standards.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated, or if you want to meet up, send me an email directly:

mr (dot) danielstone [at] gmail [dot] com

cheers,
Dan

munz6869
11-Sep-2013, 00:16
I've travelled in and out of Australia with my 5x4" kit in carry-on, and apart from x-ray scanner 'curiosity', have never had a customs issue ever. Mainly the EU & Asia. Put all your film in carry on of course, but otherwise, unless you have something sharp/pointy, there shouldn't be any problems!

Marc!

Michael W
11-Sep-2013, 01:49
Bring all the film you might need with you - you'll be horrified at the prices if you need to buy any here. There are a few places for good processing in Sydney - The Lighthouse for E6 & C41, Vision Imagelab for E6 & C41 and Pix at Bondi for C41. By the sounds of your locations the Lighthouse might be most convenient.
Penrith/Springwood puts you in the Blue Mountains area which is beautiful, also a good place from which to visit some inner west country areas such as Hill End, Orange, Bathurst.

jonreid
11-Sep-2013, 02:12
Hi Dan,
Let me know if you'll be in the Newcastle area and we can meet up. It's about 2 hours north of Sydney.
Good processing close to down town Sydney can be had at Vision Imagelab. Film can be had from Vanbar but check prices online before. As someone said you will probably be better off bringing it all.

Sydney - Gold Coast is about 10 hours drive straight, not allowing for shooting stops. If you like nature then plenty of coastal national parks along the way like Smoky Cape, Yurigur (spelling?) and parks around Byron Bay and into the hinterland.

If you go far enough north check out the Glass House Mountains, about an hour north of Brisbane. Google them.

Let me know if you want more detail on anything. Google Earth is a great research tool for this sort of thing.

Jon

C_Remington
11-Sep-2013, 03:16
Why do u think you would have to declare camera to customs????? Unless u bought it there or r leaving it there.

Daniel Stone
11-Sep-2013, 08:07
Why do u think you would have to declare camera to customs????? Unless u bought it there or r leaving it there.

Just wanted to make sure. I don't think anyone would confuse a 5x7 Deardorff as being a "new" camera by any means, but I certainly don't feel like having to pay taxes if some bumpkin TSA/Customs agent thinks I'm trying to sneak something in...

On film, original plan was to bring 100 sheets of color, I think I'll double that now, "just in case" ;)

-Dan

Ari
11-Sep-2013, 08:12
Dan, you should double-check the Customs requirements, not for bringing the gear TO Australia, but bringing it back to the US.
When leaving Canada, I usually have an itemized list of the camera gear I am bringing with me, and have the Customs people stamp it.
That way, I don't get asked about it (or charged duties on it) when I return to Canada.
I'm sure the US is more lax in this regard, but it would be better to make sure before leaving.

Daniel Stone
11-Sep-2013, 08:57
Dan, you should double-check the Customs requirements, not for bringing the gear TO Australia, but bringing it back to the US.
When leaving Canada, I usually have an itemized list of the camera gear I am bringing with me, and have the Customs people stamp it.
That way, I don't get asked about it (or charged duties on it) when I return to Canada.
I'm sure the US is more lax in this regard, but it would be better to make sure before leaving.

YES, that's what I was thinking:

found this just now:
http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/clearing/certificate_of_registration.xml

filling out the form w/ an itemized list(with serial #s) of all my camera gear. Just in case something(or somebody) gets wise...

thx,
Dan

bob carnie
11-Sep-2013, 09:11
Hi Dan

You need to wear your underwear inside out , as everything there runs backwards.

Bob

Vaughn
11-Sep-2013, 12:33
I left SF for Sydney many years ago on December 21st. Arrived in Sydney to 46C (114F) weather! Fortunately I was prepared and left cold wet SF in shorts and sandals! But what was even more strange was going from the shortest day of the year to the longest!

Had no problem taking and returning with my 4x5. I guess I should have filled out some of those forms 'just in case'.

I don't know about the underwear thing, but remember to look right first, then left when crossing the street!

Vaughn

Andrew O'Neill
11-Sep-2013, 13:19
... and when you are at Burger King, make sure you ask for your Whopper without pickled beet. I love pickled beets but not on a burger.

Lachlan 717
11-Sep-2013, 14:21
I left SF for Sydney many years ago on December 21st. Arrived in Sydney to 46C (114F) weather!

Sorry to ruin a good story, but, no, you didn't:

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/1243767/sydneys-hottest-day-on-record-as-mercury-hits-457-degrees/

Lachlan 717
11-Sep-2013, 14:23
Daniel,

If you're a bit further north of Sydney, Ken Duncan's gallery (http://www.kenduncan.com/) is not a bad place to visit. It'll give you a good insight into some of Australia's great locations.

Vaughn
11-Sep-2013, 15:50
Sorry to ruin a good story, but, no, you didn't:

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/1243767/sydneys-hottest-day-on-record-as-mercury-hits-457-degrees/

Close enough -- and that's what a couple roadside temp signs said. And besides, its not the heat its the inhumanity.

Eric Rose
11-Sep-2013, 19:08
Just remember Auz is the same size as the US.

mdm
12-Sep-2013, 01:57
Close enough -- and that's what a couple roadside temp signs said. And besides, its not the heat its the inhumanity.

Deleted. Oops, politics.

DaveS
12-Sep-2013, 02:35
... and when you are at Burger King, make sure you ask for your Whopper without pickled beet. I love pickled beets but not on a burger.

That's a screening test so we can tell who the visitors are. They are the ones picking the beetroot out of their burgers.:p

Next you'll be telling us you don't like vegemite.

Daniel Stone
12-Sep-2013, 07:45
That's a screening test so we can tell who the visitors are. They are the ones picking the beetroot out of their burgers.:p

Next you'll be telling us you don't like vegemite

I LOVE Vegemite! Trouble is, getting it here in quantities over 6-8oz jars ;)! I'll pick some up while down there, bring it back with me for sure. I like putting it on toast, with some thinly sliced cheese on top. Great for breakfast!

gleaf
12-Sep-2013, 09:27
Remember Louis Black's sun block solution. Use butter flavored Crisco, when you start to sizzle... turn over.

Dave Grenet
12-Sep-2013, 20:06
2. Would love to - I'll send you an email.

3. Frizza's processing is as clean and accurate as you'll get. Vision Image Lab in Redfern are okay and more convenient to the CBD and inner city areas.

As everyone's said already, expect it to be hot and humid.

Boinzo
16-Sep-2013, 17:32
Daniel,
I'll be in the Blue Mountains shooting my 4x5 just after Christmas for around 4 days. Then 4 days in Sydney. Do you like a hike? Might be tough with 5x7 ... Let me know if you are interested in meeting up there. I'll be in Leura/Wentworth Falls.
Would also be happy to meet up later on when I get home. I'm based up in Brisbane and would happily show you a couple of spots - especially if you like rainforest and waterfalls and can manage a bit of a hike. If you are driving up towards the Gold Coast / Brisbane from Sydney Port Macquarie and Yamba are good stop overs - some nice seascape locations in those areas. You could also look at a road called the "Waterfall Way" that runs from Coff's Harbour across to Armidale. That'll take you well inland to more "rural" scenes. Plenty to shoot along there!
If you need to do E6 I'd be happy to let you use my Jobo. Here in Brisbane E6 is $10 a sheet for 4x5 ... :eek:
Stef

Fred L
17-Sep-2013, 06:11
Try and make a side trip to Melbourne, it's wonderful city and some good drives can be had from there (Great Ocean Road etc). imo, Melb > Syd ;)

Andrew O'Neill
18-Sep-2013, 07:57
That's a screening test so we can tell who the visitors are. They are the ones picking the beetroot out of their burgers.

Next you'll be telling us you don't like vegemite.

Personally, I've always been a marmite eater, but while I was in Australia a friend converted me. Spread on toast with butter and a bit of cheddar.... heaven.

Daniel Stone
18-Sep-2013, 09:01
Personally, I've always been a marmite eater, but while I was in Australia a friend converted me. Spread on toast with butter and a bit of cheddar.... heaven.

Same here, my favorite mode of attack :)

Lachlan 717
18-Sep-2013, 13:58
You'll need to take care with Australian beer as well. Unlike American beer, it contains both alcohol and flavour.

Boinzo
18-Sep-2013, 21:25
Woah - smack! There's some very very good micro-breweries in the States now Lachlan. I had some great beers in Utah when I was there last year!
But - yes. If you go for the "big" US brands your comment is spot on!

You'll need to take care with Australian beer as well. Unlike American beer, it contains both alcohol and flavour.

Lachlan 717
18-Sep-2013, 22:30
Woah - smack! There's some very very good micro-breweries in the States now Lachlan. I had some great beers in Utah when I was there last year!
But - yes. If you go for the "big" US brands your comment is spot on!

I remember when I went to university over there, and we drank "Milwaukee's Best (http://www.milbestlight.com/av/AgeVerify.aspx)".

It scares me to think what "Milwaukee's Worst" would be like, if that was their best…

Daniel Stone
18-Sep-2013, 23:45
One of my go-to favorites is Fosters, in the blue &gold cans. :)

Wholeheartedly agree on the corporate breweries here in the USA. Most of them taste like piss ;)

Dan

munz6869
19-Sep-2013, 00:16
Who in Australia drinks Fosters? I deeply suspect no-one. Even West End Lager (shudder) tastes nicer... Nearly every Australian beer is better IMHO!

Marc!

Lachlan 717
19-Sep-2013, 00:56
Who in Australia drinks Fosters? I deeply suspect no-one. Even West End Lager (shudder) tastes nicer... Nearly every Australian beer is better IMHO!

Marc!

Glad that you didn't mention Southwark as being better than Fosters.

Mind you, Crown Lager's just Fosters brewed to a specific standard.

Lachlan 717
19-Sep-2013, 01:01
One of my go-to favorites is Fosters, in the blue &gold cans. :)

Dan

Couple of new ones somewhat widely available to try if you haven't been down here for a while:

*Fat Yak;
*Mountain Goat;
*James Squires Golden Ale;
*White Rabbit White Ale; and
*Kosciusko Pale Ale.

If you are going to drink Fosters, I'd suggest wearing a Hawaiian shirt, long socks and sandals. It will help to explain why.

SMBooth
19-Sep-2013, 01:39
Christmas period is a busy time of year for finding accommodation on the hoof. If you head west to the less populated areas (Broken Hill) it be mighty hot, head north it be pretty wet (wet season), go south and gets real busy around the coast. Still plenty of stuff any which way you go. Lots of things in the Blue Mountains and up to the QLD / NSW boarder. There are lots of backroads in Australia to explore.

Former Member 27732
19-Sep-2013, 04:41
Christmas period is a busy time of year for finding accommodation on the hoof. If you head west to the less populated areas (Broken Hill) it be mighty hot, head north it be pretty wet (wet season), go south and gets real busy around the coast. Still plenty of stuff any which way you go. Lots of things in the Blue Mountains and up to the QLD / NSW boarder. There are lots of backroads in Australia to explore.

+1.
The backroads provide some of the most interesting views of this country and unless you insist on going off-road, a 2WD SUV is all you need to get around in.
Enjoy.

Daniel Stone
19-Sep-2013, 13:18
I don't drink beer all that often, TBH

seemed to surprise a few Icelandic 'youngsters'(around my age at the time, 21-22) that as an "American", I was kind of the "opposite" of what they perceived as the typical-American youth: beer in each hand, guzzling it down ;)
Never plan to be drunk, never have been. Strict 2-beers/night limit is what I allow myself, or 1 hard drink(Jack & Coke included!)

So I'm game to try some more local brews whilst down there, but I'm not going to be "actively" searching out new tastes of Australia's brews ;)

-Dan

Boinzo
20-Sep-2013, 17:50
Four of the best craft breweries in Oz.
1. Burleigh Brewing from the Gold Coast. Try their Pale 78 or more famous "My Wife's Bitter"
2. Holgate Brewing from Melbourne. Their Mt Macedon Pale Ale is sensational. if you like a dark - Tempress ...
3. Four Pines from Port Macquarie. Probably our best Pale Ale. They also make an awesome stout.
4. Two Birds from Melbourne. Their Sunset Red Ale is sensational.

Seriously agree on the backroads. Just be aware that there is a lot more distance between things here! :-)

jonreid
1-Feb-2014, 00:54
So did you come to Oz? How was it? Where did you end up going?