PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Linhof Tech. III info

Bob Sawin
10-Sep-2013, 10:24
I have a Linhof Tech. III and would like to know when it was made. It's black and the only serial number I can find is on the cam:
F-150
I assumed this was in reference to the lens but I don't know for certain.

The ground glass is in poor condition and I wondered if any 4x5 ground glass would work as a replacement.

And finally, what is generally used to clean up the metal parts?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Jac@stafford.net
10-Sep-2013, 10:53
We need the serial number.
Look on the bed. It might be just below the "Linhof Munchen" logo.
There were five III models.

For more information: http://www.cameraquest.com/techs.htm

You can get the manual here: http://www.butkus.org/chinon/linhof/linhof_technika_iii/linhof_technika_iii.htm

Bob Salomon
10-Sep-2013, 11:44
Much to everyones surprise there was one Technika III. It was made from October of 1946 to October of 1960. During that period there were five different production runs with serial numbers starting at 2021 and ending with 62,236. Although these numbers are not sequential. The 62,236 camera was made in Aug 1957 while the last camera made was 16064 made in Oct of 1960. They were all Technika III cameras.

So the serial number on that cam is for the lens. For that cam to work properly on your camera the serial number of your camera must be on the bottom of the cam and the 150mm lens must have the same serial number as stamped on the top of the cam.

The serial number of the camera will either be on a small plate as noted in an earlier post or on the accessory shoe on top of the camera.

So you are aware, all Technika III cameras are orphans. Accessories for the Technika IV and later models are in most cases a different size. So ground glasses, Fresnels, lens boards for the IV and later cameras do not and can not fit a III. And the factory has not made those parts for a III in decades. Additionally one of the biggest differences between a III and all later models is the lack of the single most important view camera movement on a III. The lens board does not tilt forward, only backwards. All later models have both forward and backward lens board tilt.

So before investing heavily in a III that needs service consider to possibility and benefits of just selling it and getting a IV. That would be compatible with all later accessories and have full movements even though the IV is also an old camera with the last one made in 1963.

There are no repair parts still made for a III or a IV and for many V and early Master Technikas. Even the Master Technika, which is current, has been on the market since Sept of 1972! Making it probably the world's oldest continuing production camera!

Bob Sawin
10-Sep-2013, 12:29
Bob,

Thanks for the info. I think I will put it up for sale and look for a iv....thanks again.

Jac@stafford.net
10-Sep-2013, 13:30
So Stephen Gandy's Cameraquest listing of five significant changes in the III are not true?

There are FIVE Tech III's, ALL called the Tech III! With the rangefinder, it's a Super Technika, without RF it's a Technika -- or so say the old Linhof manuals, so I pass on their terminology. Serial #'s are approximate and may not be accurate because factory records were not always accurate, according to Bob Solomon of HP marketing, the US importer of Linhof.

Version 1 of 1946 It introduced the pronounced "U" shaped front standard. RF housing is square with no flash bracket. Square Body design. Serial #'s 2021 to 2555, and 22556 to 23880.
Version 2 of 1950 Flash bracket introduced on RF housing. RF housing now angled rather than squared design. Body still square. Serial #'s started 30001.
Version 3 of 1951 Body now has curved edges. Ending Serial # 37104.
Version 4 of 1953 Knob locks for back movements are now located on top of camera. Introduced drop bed. From Serial # 50,0001.
Version 5 of 1955 Much stronger body design. Front door is no longer flat, but rather a reinforced angular design. Now the camera has RF focusing wheels on both sides. Essentially this version amounts to a type IV body with III type front movements. Ending serial # 62235. Introduced the international or Graflok back which could be retrofitted to earlier cameras. SEE PICS (http://www.cameraquest.com/tech3pic.htm)

Bob Salomon
10-Sep-2013, 14:01
So Stephen Gandy's Cameraquest listing of five significant changes in the III are not true?

If they were significant in the factory's eyes the later versions would not have been a III.
All III 4x5 cameras had the same movements, took the same lens boards, used the same ground glasses and Fresnels.

I particularly mentioned that the Master has been on the market since Sept of 1972. During the time frame that it has been available, through today, it has been a Master Technika. Yet during that time the shape of knobs has changed, the position of knobs has changed, the way the back attaches to the body changed and then changed back, the body cable release attachment block has lost its mounting holes, the rise lever handle has changed, the shape of some controls has changed and the drop bed has changed yet it is still a Master Technika. Same with a III, a IV or a V.

Jac@stafford.net
10-Sep-2013, 14:07
Thanks, Bob. I understand now.

Cor
11-Sep-2013, 00:05
Just for completion:

The folding hood/ground glass/film holder (you release that from the camera by twisting the back 45 deg and slide out the 4 metal "clips"?) of my Tech III (version 4..;-)..) fits perfectly on my Linhof Color (a IV on a monorail), and the ground-glass is actually much better than that of the Color, although that one is 10 years younger...off course I cannot be sure that the ground glass of the Color was original. So at least that part can be swapped.

For fw tilt: drop the bed, raise the front, tilt back the front: lens and film are parallel again, and you have fw tilt now..it ain't handy but it works.

best,

Cor

Bob Salomon
11-Sep-2013, 06:04
Just for completion:

The folding hood/ground glass/film holder (you release that from the camera by twisting the back 45 deg and slide out the 4 metal "clips"?) of my Tech III (version 4..;-)..) fits perfectly on my Linhof Color (a IV on a monorail), and the ground-glass is actually much better than that of the Color, although that one is 10 years younger...off course I cannot be sure that the ground glass of the Color was original. So at least that part can be swapped.

For fw tilt: drop the bed, raise the front, tilt back the front: lens and film are parallel again, and you have fw tilt now..it ain't handy but it works.
best,

Cor

Dropping the front is not the solution since the bed only has a couple of drop positions and now the camera is dictating to the photographer.
You could also tilt the back as that does not have predetermined stops but as most will know, tilting or swinging the back will change the shape of the subject. Doing the movements on the front will not change shape.

As to your gg they are not the same size and can't be cut to fit each other. Also both are so old that they do not compare in brightness to a modern gg. Same with any Fresnel on either camera. You are comparing gg to gg without a Fresnel on one and nt the other? Correct?

Lastly the Linhof Color was made from Sept 1958 to Oct 1964. The III was made from Oct 1946 to Oct 1960. So it is possible for them to be contempories. So it is very doubtful that Linhof would have used different sources of ground glasses on these early cameras. The only difference was the shape of the two gg.

DrTang
11-Sep-2013, 07:07
eh - just shoot it

things were built like a tank

plenty of parts on ebay

no point worrying about how old it is

Cor
11-Sep-2013, 07:19
Dropping the front is not the solution since the bed only has a couple of drop positions and now the camera is dictating to the photographer.

While I agree that it's akward it did work quite well in my (and other) hands

As to your gg they are not the same size and can't be cut to fit each other. Also both are so old that they do not compare in brightness to a modern gg. Same with any Fresnel on either camera. You are comparing gg to gg without a Fresnel on one and nt the other? Correct?

Correct, no Fresnel is involved, I still think that my TechIII form 1954 was equipped with an excellent groundglas if I compair it to my"modern" Toyo Field 810M and my Gowland Pocket

Lastly the Linhof Color was made from Sept 1958 to Oct 1964. The III was made from Oct 1946 to Oct 1960. So it is possible for them to be contempories. So it is very doubtful that Linhof would have used different sources of ground glasses on these early cameras. The only difference was the shape of the two gg.

Like I said I am not sure if the Color came to me with the original ground glass, it has only a blue marking for 6*9 while my Tech III has a nice black grid as well as a 9*12 cm marking, and I believe it also says Linhof (I do not have the camera's in front of me)

best,

Cor