PDA

View Full Version : Ballantine Studio Soft Focus London Lens - ?

jocl123
10-Sep-2013, 09:00
Hi, do i have a Meniscus lens here like a Spencer Portland or Karl Struss Pictorial Lens ?
I guess the aperture is missing in front.
It only has a rear cell.
Also it would be nice if you guys have some informations about this lens.
No info found from God google.

Thanks

Jo

Mark Sawyer
10-Sep-2013, 13:37
Hi, do i have a Meniscus lens here like a Spencer Portland or Karl Struss Pictorial Lens ?

Yes it looks like it. There were quite a few different achromatic meniscus lenses around between 1900 to WWII, (and a few afterwards). I've never heard of Ballantine Studios, and it wasn't mentioned in the Vade Mecum, so it's possibly another manufacturer's lens with a studio's name engraved on it. It would be pretty simple to make a few Waterhouse stops to fit the front to replace the missing aperture control. You should have a wonderful adventure seeing what it does in use!

Steven Tribe
10-Sep-2013, 15:15
There were 5 Photographers/Studios with the name Ballantine (alternative spelling to Scots name Ballantyne) registered for the period 1840 - 1940.
Spencer Portland had a UK agent, Sinclair, and they were sold under his name. Except, perhaps, this one loaned out to Ballantine to try out - and never returned.

pierre506
10-Sep-2013, 16:17
Hoping to see the results of the lens.
Wide open is better.

8x10 user
6-Nov-2014, 13:42
It seems to consist of just a single thin element. Much thinner than a P&S (achromat) or Spencer portland. It must have been made with a high refractive flint glass. I expect there to be quite a bit of chromatic aberration :)

Karl Struss lenses are of a thinner single element construction, no?