PDA

View Full Version : Acadia NP

Barry Trabitz
9-Sep-2013, 20:30
Instead of a party for my upcoming birthday at the end of October my wife suggested a short trip.

My choice was Acadia NP, about 6 or 7 hours from our home in CT. We were last there about 40 or so years ago.

Any suggestions for areas to photograph, sites to visit, places to eat would be most appreciated.

I will be bring my 4x5 and a new Nikon D600.

Thanks,

Barry.

zonedoc@cox.net

zonedoc@aol.com

jp
10-Sep-2013, 13:53
If you want to make photos, stay out of Bah Hahbah as much as possible and be in the park. Nice place. Unlike some west coast photographers suggest, there is MUCH to see by adventuring out of sight of your car and on to the trails.

I had a great time hiking Champlain mountain, and hiking around Jordan Pond and Bubble pond. Haven't been there for a while. A boat excursion around the island would be interesting. I've been by on a boat, but never been around.

thomasfallon
10-Sep-2013, 15:53
Cadillac mountain at sunrise, Bass Harbor LH at sunset. Wild Gardens of Acadia. Boulder beach. SW Harbor. Corea, Maine. Schoodic pennisula area of the park is beautiful and no one is there. Stonington, Maine at sunrise but you need high tide. You might want to purchase a newsletter called "Photograph America." You can buy the Acadia back issue for a few dollars and it has great information.

bobwysiwyg
10-Sep-2013, 16:25
I recall Seal Harbor as well as those already mentioned but it was many years ago. Would love to get back there the New England coast is one of my favs .

David Schaller
10-Sep-2013, 16:36
I like the Southwest Hatbor side of the park. There is a lot to see on that side. As others have said, hike a little ways off the road and the crush of tourists disappears.
Dave

Jim Michael
10-Sep-2013, 16:57
The lichens and other flora at the top of Cadillac mountain are interesting and have very subtle color (helped I'm sure by the near foggy conditions we were in when we were up there), so might be an option if you shoot color.

Bruce Barlow
12-Sep-2013, 17:25
Schoodic Point, especially in the morning.

I like Stonington at low tide, myself.

There's a wonderful little place in Winter Harbor that has great clam rolls.

And yup, Corea, too - the quintessential lobster fishing village.

Barry Trabitz
13-Sep-2013, 14:42
Many thanks for all the suggestions.
Barry.

Bill_1856
13-Sep-2013, 21:05
Drive to the top of Cadillac Mountain and park your car, then walk DOWN any of the trails. When you get to the bottom or get tired just walk the short distance to the road and hitch-hike (stick out your thumb) back to the top. People are very good about giving rides to old men carrying cameras.

Barry Trabitz
27-Sep-2013, 11:03
Looks as if the "Tea Party" radicals in Congress will close the National Parks. The trip may be off.

Greg Miller
27-Sep-2013, 13:45
Looks as if the "Tea Party" radicals in Congress will close the National Parks. The trip may be off.

Actually most people would consider the tea partiers reactionaries rather than radicals.

Serge S
27-Sep-2013, 18:09
What a great idea your wife has.

It's a great time to visit. I'll be there next month:) I go twice a year and love the Fall weather. Lot's of good trails off of the Cadillac mountain stretch. Also Beech mountain trail is good, nice views from the fire tower.

Red sky (in swh) is where you want to go for a great evening dinner. Be sure to reserve ahead of time.

Enjoy the trip & Happy birthday.

jp
27-Sep-2013, 19:04
theres plenty of nice coast in addition to the national park...

Barry Trabitz
20-Oct-2013, 11:50
The trip is on, we leave tomorrow . Thanks to all for your suggestions. If I can figure out how to post I will try to send any worth wile images.

Serge S
21-Oct-2013, 12:14
Just got back. The weather was great and the scenery wondrous.
Enjoy