PDA

View Full Version : Some film holders are missing the "L" locks, can I insert some?

AtlantaTerry
8-Sep-2013, 23:02
So far I have purchased almost 100 4x5 sheet film holders - some new, some used and some worthless upon receipt. :(

More than a few are missing their "L" locks next to the dark slides. Others have "L" locks that would rotate if a butterfly landed on it.

So, can I add or replace the problematic "L" locks?

Thank you.
Terry

Leigh
9-Sep-2013, 00:21
You can install replacements if you can find them.

The originals had "wood screw" threads, not machine screw threads.

- Leigh

AtlantaTerry
9-Sep-2013, 02:52
Leigh,

Yeah, the problem is finding exact replacements.

I wonder if any standard hardware store item can be substituted?

Leigh
9-Sep-2013, 08:47
I checked an industrial fastener supplier that I use. They had nothing similar.

You might try a craft shop. I expect they're used to hold artwork together.

- Leigh

Jim C.
9-Sep-2013, 11:28
Never really took a film holder apart, are these wood or the modern plastic holders ?
Those L locks seem easy enough to find on McMaster or to fabricate out of 2mm diameter brass rod stock
with a thread die if it's a machine screw thread. On the plastic holders I have they're captive
the wood ones have a wood screw thread.

Ari
9-Sep-2013, 13:03
In another thread, someone recommended using rubber bands to secure the dark slides.

I believe 100 rubber bands of the appropriate size cost about $1 or so.

AtlantaTerry
9-Sep-2013, 13:51
Instead of rubber bands, I am using colorful wide elastic hair bands from a Dollar Tree store. Blue for unexposed, Red for exposed. One band around three sheet film holders all "head down" into a plastic Zip bag in an ancient Speed Graphic case that I use to tote gear to locations. That way with a quick glance I can see the status of my film.

I only use plastic 4x5 sheet film holders because I read here that wood ones warp.

LF_rookie_to_be
14-Sep-2013, 10:21
The originals had "wood screw" threads, not machine screw threads.

Toyo holders have machine screw threads. One of the reasons why I prefer them to Fidelity.

John Kasaian
14-Sep-2013, 12:30
I've done this with wood film holders. I'm not sure what to do if yours are plastic though.
Unscrew one of the ells and take it with you to a real hardware store. If they have replacements, cool but likely not. Buy the correct gauge anyway, measure carefully and cut down the unthreaded end (they'll likely be too long) a few swipes with a mill bastard will take care of sharp edges and bend a new ell with two pliers(or grab one end so the end of the pliers are where you want the bend and push down on a hard surface to bend a new ell.) Screw the new piece into place. You're done. I've done this many, many times and it worked just fine.

limnidytis
14-Sep-2013, 16:59
Search for right angle hooks - something like this
http://mdmetric.com/fastindx/TI-31.pdf
You might be able to find a similar size.

AtlantaTerry
15-Sep-2013, 07:11

That #8817 looks like the right product.

Thank you!

Brian Ellis
15-Sep-2013, 08:05
All of my holders had those "L" things but I never bothered using them for the reason you mentioned - too many of them were loose and rotated away from the top of the dark slide. I also didn't use rubber bands or anything else, I was just careful in removing the holder from the zip lock bag and returning it. I never had a dark slide move on me even with nothing special holding it in, just a little care is all you need.

Steve Goldstein
17-Sep-2013, 16:49

Did anyone else notice that all the pictures except the bottom one show left-handed threads? I wonder if that's correct...

On a related point, I thought somebody here was recently looking for locks for Toyo holders, but am unable to find the posting using eith the site's search or Google search. Am I hallucinating?

John Kasaian
17-Sep-2013, 17:17
If the hole is too big, a toothpick end covered with Elmer's or other wood glue crammed in, broken off and dressed down will tighten up the threading when you screw in the new ell. Don't use wodden match--the wood is too sft.

John Kasaian
25-Sep-2013, 10:41
I was loading some holders last night. It looks like I went a gauge larger instead of the match stick trick.

Lenny Eiger
25-Sep-2013, 11:31
I don't know why I've never removed them all. I find them a pain in the neck, useless. Always there when you are trying to pull a dark slide out. If you have a problem with them vibrating up while driving a car, simply turn them on their side, or put something on top of them. FWIW, I haven't had this happen, with 4x5 or 8x10, in the last 40 years with large format. I understand that it does happen, but my guess is that it is avery rare occurrence.

Death to the screws! Well, ok, maybe a little dramatic....

Lenny

Ian David
26-Sep-2013, 02:58
Yeah, i know it doesn't answer the OP's question, but I removed all my L-screws and use rubber bands instead...

AtlantaTerry
26-Sep-2013, 03:28
Yeah, i know it doesn't answer the OP's question, but I removed all my L-screws and use rubber bands instead...

I now use colorful wide hair bands made for young girls. Blue for unexposed / red for exposed. Each one easily wraps around 3 sheet film holders. A quick glance in my case tells me the status of my film supply.