PDA

View Full Version : 90mm f/6.8 angulon question

8thsamurai
7-Sep-2013, 01:59
Does anyone if the 90mm f/6.8 Angulon is a direct fit into a Copal 0? I bought a 90mm Angulon for my Travelwide (can't wait to get it) with intentions of fixing the bad shutter that came with it but ended up not being able to and buying a cheap 150mm Symar S to transplant the cells into. I tried using the lens on my Chamonix 45n-2 and had to move the rear standard almost all the way in to get it to focus at infinity. My concern is that I didn't think to mic the syncho-compur before taking it apart so I don't know if it has the same cell spacing as the copal. If that was off would the camera even focus?

Dan Fromm
7-Sep-2013, 08:31
Are your lens' cells fully seated in the new shutter? I ask because for a given pair of cells, the greater the inter-cell spacing the shorter the focal length.

Is the new shutter a cock-and-shoot or a press shutter? I ask because Copal press shutters' diaphragms are closer to the end of the rear tube than are cock-and-shoot shutters. Y'r SA's rear cell goes deep into the shutter, may be hitting the diaphragm.

Unfortunately Schneider's new site doesn't show data for your lens. f/5.6 and f/8 90 mm SAs have ~ 100 mm flange-focal distances, the f/6.8 should too. f/5.6 and f/8 were both sold in #0 shutters, the f/6.8 is the newest and is cells should go straight into a #0. Ask Schneider for advice.

8thsamurai
7-Sep-2013, 08:51
The cells appear to be fully seated. It's a not a press shutter, just a standard style. Also it's an Angulon not a Super Angulon.

Jon Shiu
7-Sep-2013, 09:00
Hi, I just measured my Angulon and it is about 25.2mm in height (synchro compur P).

Jon

8thsamurai
7-Sep-2013, 09:05
Hi, I just measured my Angulon and it is about 25.2mm in height (synchro compur P).

Jon

Awesome, thank you.

Dan Fromm
7-Sep-2013, 09:19
The cells appear to be fully seated. It's a not a press shutter, just a standard style. Also it's an Angulon not a Super Angulon.

My bad. Schneider says the 90/6.8 Angulon's flange focal distance is 90.0 mm. The only shutter size they give for it is #0.

pasiasty
10-Sep-2013, 07:04
All the following shutters should have the same cells' threads (M29.5 x 0,5) and same spacing (20mm), so they should be interchangeable:
Compur rapid
Compur 0
Copal 0
Copal Press 0
Prontor Magnetic 0
Prontor Press
Prontor S
Prontor Professional 0

Dan might be right about the cell hitting the diaphragm, take care. Note that rear cell of your lens screws totally into the shutter.

He's however wrong re data availability on their web: https://www.schneideroptics.com/info/vintage_lens_data/large_format_lenses/angulon/data/6,8-90mm.html

IanG
10-Sep-2013, 09:09
All the following shutters should have the same cells' threads (M29.5 x 0,5) and same spacing (20mm), so they should be interchangeable:
Compur rapid
Compur 0
Copal 0
Copal Press 0
Prontor Magnetic 0
Prontor Press
Prontor S
Prontor Professional 0

Dan might be right about the cell hitting the diaphragm, take care. Note that rear cell of your lens screws totally into the shutter.

He's however wrong re data availability on their web: https://www.schneideroptics.com/info/vintage_lens_data/large_format_lenses/angulon/data/6,8-90mm.html

Add Prontor SVS, Seiko, Epsilon, Trikor and Agi to that list of #0 compatible shutters. Kodak used Kodak modified Epsilons and later Prontor SVS shutters for their UK made 203mm f7.7 Ektars, although the final batches were in the last type of Compur.

One member here stated a few years ago that there were inconsistencies in the cell spacings of early 90mm f6.8 Angulons, this was down to variations in the shutters themselves and if the spacing was to great the lenses were much poorer in terms of sharpness.

Ian

Michael E
10-Sep-2013, 12:08
When I put 90mm Angulon cells in other shutters, I frequently had problems with the spacing. The cells have a "collar" adjoining the thread. The shutter needs the corresponding recess. If the thread runs all the way to the end of the barrel, the cell won't screw in all the way. The resulting images were sharp in the middle and became blurry really fast, the sharp image circle was about 70mm. I solved the problem with a Dremel, I simply took out a couple of millimeters of the thread.

Michael