PDA

View Full Version : Stereoscopic LF camera interior

Jim C.
3-Sep-2013, 20:31
They're a rare beast, there's lots of pictures and engravings in old catalogs
of what they look like outside, but I'm curious what the camera interior looks like.
Is there a baffle to separate the images from the dual lenses ?

ridax
3-Sep-2013, 22:32
Yes there was a baffle. And those stereo cameras aren't actually that rare. In fact, a lot of them were made to be usable in both stereo and normal modes with the baffle removable, and now that baffle is usually lost. So looking inside an ordinary camera from a century ago often reveals the camera was intended to be a stereo, too. My own German-made wooden 13x18cm field has those hooks for the baffle inside and a lensboard bigger in width then in height to be able to accommodate two lenses but I do not know how that baffle should actually look like... Not too hard to imagine of course but still I'd really appreciate a picture of an original vintage one if anybody posted it here.

Steven Tribe
4-Sep-2013, 01:26
I have posted a thread (2 years ago?) about these dual purpose mono/stereo cameras from the 1890's.

They were all (AFAIK) square bellows/Tailboard reisekamera designs with long lens boards that slid in from the side and a locking catch at the top.
I believe that earlycameras.co.uk has a single image of an original central septum.
I have a number of these. They were very common on the 13x18cm size, but also on 18x24cm too. The mounting system is quite simple: hook into two square holes in the front and then into two corresponding hole at the back. The folded single sheet "bellows" has to be under compression, which means elastic going through all the folds in the bellows. Deterioration of the elastic is probably the main reason why these haven't survived very often.
I'll try and find the thread to-day which shows how I made a central septum.

"to be able to accommodate two lenses"

Not necessary! The system was also designed to allow stationary images (still life - landscape) to be taken in stereo using only one lens which is moved between 2 positions. Stereo on the cheap!

Later:
Thread is from May 2010. Search for "Stereo Tailboard" in the title.
Plenty of photos/illustrations!

Jim C.
4-Sep-2013, 11:53
Thanks Ridax, Steven, I suspected that there must be a septum in the camera
but wasn't sure how it would have worked with bellows. The pleated septum is
an interesting example.
The sliding lens method is something I read about in Judge's Stereo Photography book
it certainly makes it DIY doable with one lens.

For future ref -

Steven Tribes thread on German Stereo tail board camera (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?62619-Who-give-advice-about-stereo-tailboard-cameras&highlight=Stereo+Tailboard)

earlyphotography.co.uk page on stereo cameras (http://www.earlyphotography.co.uk/site/stereo.html)

DrTang
4-Sep-2013, 12:29
I'm not sure the septum went the whole way.. it would only need to go..maybe half way.. maybe a bit farther.. to block the opposite lenses light

I've seen slots on top and bottom of the inside of the front standard where a septum would just slide in between the lenses

Steven Tribe
4-Sep-2013, 13:35
I'm not sure the septum went the whole way.. it would only need to go..maybe half way.. maybe a bit farther.. to block the opposite lenses light
Agreed! But the only place to fix it is on the front standard.
The 2 + 2 fixing holes are reinforced with brass strips.
I just checked another 18x24cm I have and it too has the prepared square holes and black painted brass strips.

Johnny B.
4-Sep-2013, 20:03
Hi: I have a 5 x 7 Century stereo camera. I have had it for a very long time (over 30 years). It was missing the inner septum. The first time I used it the pictures over lapped. I had a 8 by 10 wrecked camera so I used sisors and cut a section out of the old bellows. I put it in the center of the 5x7 bellows. It folds nicely when I close the camera and splits my negative in half. These cameras are fun to use. Johnny B.

ridax
5-Sep-2013, 01:36
They were all (AFAIK) square bellows/Tailboard reisekamera designs

Mine is a less common field type 13x18cm (called 'English camera' in Europe during the first part of the 20th century) though it was actually made in Germany (or maybe Austria or Switzerland - the only engraving found on one of the chrome-plated brass parts reads, "GES.GESCH 40600" - whatever that means), not a tailboard ( = Reisekamera = 'German camera') type. That's why I got it in the first place BTW... But the bellows is tapered quite a bit so making a proper septum for this one would be somewhat tricky I guess.

Thanks for the info!