PDA

View Full Version : Cooke 14.5" f/4.5 Portrait Lens - Soft Focus thread clean - how?

Tim Povlick
2-Sep-2013, 06:16
Can anyone kindly enlighten me as to how to open this Cooke lens so the soft focus portion can be cleaned and lubed? The threads chirp when adjusting the soft focus.

Is the (external rotating ring) aperture mechanism accessed by unscrewing the ring at the bak of the lens?

_ .. --
TiM

Steven Tribe
2-Sep-2013, 07:05
There are many different types of series II T,T & H Cooke F4.5.
Serial number and photo will help!
The latest type (series IIE) just needs the removal of the lens hood!

Tim Povlick
2-Sep-2013, 07:38
There are many different types of series II T,T & H Cooke F4.5.
Serial number and photo will help!
The latest type (series IIE) just needs the removal of the lens hood!

Hi Steven,

Sorry, did not realize there were many types with this designation. The ser# is:90744 and attached an image.

removed lenses from both front and back, The soft focus portion is still on the barrel. One can turn CW or CCW but eventually it hits a mechanical stop. From the image, there is a (access?) plate that has taper resistant screws; not sure if this is the key to unlock the door or not.

Many thanks for your expert advice.

Best Regards,

Tim

Steven Tribe
2-Sep-2013, 08:59
Fabulous condition for an early Cooke.

I think Eddie is your man for these types! I believe there have been earlier threads on this type.

Emil Schildt
2-Sep-2013, 13:02
Fabulous condition for an early Cooke.

I think Eddie is your man for these types! I believe there have been earlier threads on this type.

indeed (on both accounts)

Mine is similar and the soft focus is stuck - completely...

there's a thred about that issue here:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?47096-advice-on-Cooke-with-stuck-Soft-focus&highlight=cooke

Mark Sawyer
2-Sep-2013, 13:09
There may be a small set screw on the outside of the barrel, flush with the outside surface, that acts as the mechanical stop limiting the soft focus adjustment. If this is removed, you may be able to unscrew the soft focus until it separates for cleaning.

Beautiful lens, btw!

Steven Tribe
2-Sep-2013, 13:11
So, Emil, yours is still stuck?

But then you have a lot of other playthings!

Emil Schildt
2-Sep-2013, 13:12
So, Emil, yours is still stuck?

But then you have a lot of other playthings!

yes to both....

goamules
2-Sep-2013, 13:42
Yeah, listen to Mark, he's taken a lot of Cookes further apart than anyone I've seen. As well as other types like Velostigmats.

Tim Povlick
2-Sep-2013, 15:01
It is a near mint lens. This beast came out of Europe.

I spent several hours polishing up some *very* light scuff marks in the lacquer that worked out well. One of the lens surfaces what seemed like some of the black paint in the surface like someone had touched a cleaning cloth / Q-tip and dragged some slight black on the lens. It's all cleaned up. The iris is good, just the soft focus could be a little smoother, perfectly usable but I'd like all the lens parts to work as mint as it looks.

Thanks for the link to the thread. It is similar lens with the 'jail house' screws. If the lens would need realignment after repair, that simple enough with a collimator or just using a astro eyepiece and a star test alignment. I've done this with t-scopes and one can do a precision job to the point a pound or two of torque on the adjustments is evident.

This particular specimen is just to pristine to risk even a scratch so time consult Adam at SK Grimes (he's on speed dial). :-)

Curious question: if one has a soft-focus lens and the (outer) soft focus ring is stuck to the point it must be cut away and a new one machined for the lens to work as new is that a really bad thing to do or just leave it as is and no sf adjust?

Many thanks for the expert help!

Tim