PDA

View Full Version : New to large format; questions!

tar4heel2
1-Sep-2013, 09:19
I saw a Calumet 4x5 that seemed to be in pretty good shape, but I have no idea. She wanted $450 for it, but on Ebay I'm seeing anywhere from $150 to $400. It had 6 holders, a Polaroid attachment w/ 6 "films" but they appear to be old.

I have been shooting digital for almost 10 years, and have never done LF.

1) Where do you guys buy film
2) Where do you do your processing
3) " " " do your scanning

Thanks! Any thoughts would be appreciated!!

Phil

AJ Edmondson
1-Sep-2013, 09:32
Sort of depends on which model... as far as film, Freestyle or B&H are great sources and are reliable! As far as processing and scanning, home darkroom.
As far as the Polaroid - my opinion only - I wouldn't pay the shipping if it was free (again, that is only my opinion). You don't indicate whether you are leaning towards monorail or folding so it is difficult to offer advice.

Joel

biedron
1-Sep-2013, 09:48
Phil,

Welcome! Do give LF a try - it is very rewarding.

1) Where do you guys buy film

Badger: http://www.badgergraphic.com/store/cart.php?m=product_list&c=235

plus the usual suspects like B&H and Adorama

Some folks here also use Freestyle: http://www.freestylephoto.biz/category/1-Film

2) Where do you do your processing

I use Edgar Praus: http://www.4photolab.com/

But there are many others

3) " " " do your scanning

At home on an Epson V700/V750 for modest-size prints. For that special shot printed large, get a quality drum scan from Lenny Eiger: http://www.eigerphoto.com/services_technology_ep.php or James Beck: http://www.jamesbeckdigital.com/jbdscans/home.html

Bob

Tin Can
1-Sep-2013, 10:03
Does that camera come with a lens?

Almost the most important part of a camera.

I prefer to buy complete rigs with working everything, lens, shutter, camera, light tight bellows, good holders, even a case. I don't worry about ground glass as I often replace it with new.

Start cheap and the spending starts as you learn what you want.

It is good to list your location as local members can be very helpful.

tar4heel2
1-Sep-2013, 10:14
Sort of depends on which model... as far as film, Freestyle or B&H are great sources and are reliable! As far as processing and scanning, home darkroom.
As far as the Polaroid - my opinion only - I wouldn't pay the shipping if it was free (again, that is only my opinion). You don't indicate whether you are leaning towards monorail or folding so it is difficult to offer advice.

Joel

Thanks for the reply; monorail...

tar4heel2
1-Sep-2013, 10:18
Does that camera come with a lens?

Almost the most important part of a camera.

I prefer to buy complete rigs with working everything, lens, shutter, camera, light tight bellows, good holders, even a case. I don't worry about ground glass as I often replace it with new.

Start cheap and the spending starts as you learn what you want.

It is good to list your location as local members can be very helpful.

Yep, comes with a lens... two cable releases, case, 6 holders, and a crappy tripod, which I already have. Lens appears to be excellent, camera seems clean and well taken care of.

Thanks, everyone for the quick responses!!

Lachlan 717
1-Sep-2013, 11:06
What lens?

photobymike
1-Sep-2013, 11:13
The lens could be worth well.... nothing to thousands .... the camera probably with holders 150 to 300 ...the lens is the wild card

actually i would consider another camera body if i were you.... i have a Calumet 4x5 at my feet now and i cant even get a hundred for it.... and it has a lens.... consider an omega or newer japanese made 4x5 rail camera..... make sure the bellow are in good condition and the movements work and lock properly... Consider buying the camera and lens separately. That way you can get a good lens. There are plenty of them here and on ebay.... film holders ....you dont need to pay more than 5 bucks apiece for good working film holders.... the lens can be had for around 200 300 for a super lens... a good starter lens would be a 150 or a 180 or maybe a 210. these are all pretty cheap now....nikkor or fujinon are fabulous lenses for the money. Omega or Toyo bodies can be bought for 200 250 even here.... i sold and omega for 150 and it was still in the original box... so look at it from a component mind set and you might be better of.... then again there are deals out there

AJ Edmondson
1-Sep-2013, 11:19
There are quite a few monorails available at really decent prices in today's market. The older Calumet 400 Series are almost "give-aways" and are decent cameras... true, they aren't the most sophisticated choices but the fact is that they will do just about anything - perhaps not as easily - at bargain basement prices! If you are only interested in shorter focal lengths (up to about 120mm) the short or wide angle models are really good with one of the best (read: most flexible) bellows around. The "normal" or intermediate was about 16" and the long rail about 26"... using the two longer-rail models with shorter focal lengths can be aggravating due to the monorail being in your way while focusing/adjusting the camera. If you are just starting out with LF (and haven't already decided that you are primarily interested in wider angles-of view) you probably want to consider a 6" lens as a normal focal length and, again there are a lot of really good lenses available at good prices. Good luck!

Joel

John Koehrer
1-Sep-2013, 11:21
Yes, so much depends on condition, quality, brand and really usefulness. In my mind $450. is about $200.00 too high, at least for me to even look at it.
Of course for a decent Sinar it would be pretty good.

Calumet had several versions of their cameras some very good, some, more in the beginner class. All of them are rebadged
cameras. Same situation with lenses. If they're Caltar branded.

You will need to watch for oil on shutter blades, shutter hanging up or giving very long slow speeds, pinholes or light leaks and condition of the bellows.
Stiff or frayed is not a good sign.

Markets vary but a basic view can be less than $100. holders $5.-$10 each, lens $50-$hundreds or more. Crappy tripod = 0

tar4heel2
1-Sep-2013, 11:32
You guys are AWESOME! Thanks!

C_Remington
1-Sep-2013, 12:20
Why do you want to get into large format??

AJ Edmondson
1-Sep-2013, 12:32
Phil...
Nice work on the sites you included! Just wandering through the images on your sites it appears that you may lean toward wide-angles. If that is correct, you may indeed want to consider the Calumet CC402. They are really inexpensive, not too heavy or awkward and, if you choose you may also reverse one of the 400 Series Recessed Lens Boards in order to use lenses up to about 210mm. Lens boards are readily available and quite inexpensive. For a 90mm you won't need a recessed board. Lens Compendiums are also reasonable and quite functional... just look for one with the filter "drawer" which facilitates use of gel filters (and make sure the mounting block is included). Calumet may still have these available (call Jose at Calumet's repair service - great guy). Calumet purchased all of the tooling and dies when Kodak stopped production of the cameras and produced and sold them for many years. You may want to upgrade the standard ground-glass as they are fairly coarse and dim but, again, they are plentiful on the used market. Are you planning color or black and white primarily?

Joel

Tin Can
1-Sep-2013, 12:41
OK, I followed your homepage LFPF link and your bio says you have been shooting Yosemite for 29 years.

What were you using until digital?

I think we all assumed you were a beginner. You are no beginner!

Nice website!

Phil...
Nice work on the sites you included! Just wandering through the images on your sites it appears that you may lean toward wide-angles. If that is correct, you may indeed want to consider the Calumet CC402. They are really inexpensive, not too heavy or awkward and, if you choose you may also reverse one of the 400 Series Recessed Lens Boards in order to use lenses up to about 210mm. Lens boards are readily available and quite inexpensive. For a 90mm you won't need a recessed board. Lens Compendiums are also reasonable and quite functional... just look for one with the filter "drawer" which facilitates use of gel filters (and make sure the mounting block is included). Calumet may still have these available (call Jose at Calumet's repair service - great guy). Calumet purchased all of the tooling and dies when Kodak stopped production of the cameras and produced and sold them for many years. You may want to upgrade the standard ground-glass as they are fairly coarse and dim but, again, they are plentiful on the used market. Are you planning color or black and white primarily?

Joel

tar4heel2
1-Sep-2013, 13:00
Thanks everyone! I was at a yard sale, and she had it out for sale. I wasn't particularly looking to get into LF, but I saw the camera and decided to look into it. On reflection it appears it might be more trouble than it's worth. E-6 processing is hard to find, by the time I do everything per image is going to be way up there in total money out. Not sure I was to hassle with it. But I have always heard LF is the ultimate in quality, then scan quality comes in to the picture... so, the jury is still out as to whether I want to pursue this or not.

C_Remington
1-Sep-2013, 14:27
Thanks everyone! I was at a yard sale, and she had it out for sale. I wasn't particularly looking to get into LF, but I saw the camera and decided to look into it. On reflection it appears it might be more trouble than it's worth. E-6 processing is hard to find, by the time I do everything per image is going to be way up there in total money out. Not sure I was to hassle with it. But I have always heard LF is the ultimate in quality, then scan quality comes in to the picture... so, the jury is still out as to whether I want to pursue this or not.

You beat me to it.

Lenny Eiger
1-Sep-2013, 14:37
You are already there. IMHO, the best place to buy LF equipment is right here, on this forum. Most everyone treats everyone very well (they get hell for it if they don't), the quality is excellent, photos and prices required, and there is an open discussion.

I agree with the others that say the camera is overpriced, unless it has a really good lens with it. However, I wouldn't do it. I used one of these when I was in school, back in the 70's. It's a beast. Very heavy.

You would be much better off getting something in the wood, folding category. Folding metal (like a Graflex) would even be a better choice, and they are quite inexpensive. Folding wood is great for backpacking, walking around, etc. Wooden cameras weigh less than 5 lbs. A lens or two and half a dozen holders in a backpack is 5-8 pounds. It's just not heavy, vs the way you would feel using that camera.

Of course, if you just want to use it in the studio, that's another matter. You can disregard all my comments.

Still, you can't beat a large piece of film for the amount of information it can capture. You will be blown away....

Best of luck!

Lenny

Bill_1856
1-Sep-2013, 14:56
The cost of the camera is but a start on the bumpy road to LargeFormat. Unless you have "that urge" I'd suggest that you might reconsider the whole thing.