PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Philip Hyde

austin granger
28-Jul-2004, 14:10
I realize this is a long shot, but does anyone out there happen to know how I could drop a line to Philip Hyde?

When I was a kid my mom had this book I used to like looking at called Island In Time-The Point Reyes Peninsula, by Harold Gilliam, with photos by Hyde. Years later, I grew up to become a photographer and also came to spend countless days roaming Point Reyes with my camera. I have made many hundreds of photographs of this extraordinary place.

I have an upcomming show of some of these photographs and thought it would be nice to send Hyde a postcard. More importantly, I'd like to let him know how he influenced me, (even before I ever picked up a camera!) and thank him for his fine work.

I have searched about the internet, but have so far not been able to locate him.

Eric Woodbury
28-Jul-2004, 14:18
I believe he lives in Taylorsville. You can find him at www.anywho.com. His phone number and street are there. It is such a small town, I'm sure that is enough of an address.

Merg Ross
28-Jul-2004, 14:24
The last address I have for Philip Hyde is: Box 220, Taylorsville, CA 95983

Don Cameron
28-Jul-2004, 17:42
Hi

Phil does live in Taylorsville, but he has gone blind in the last few years.

His wife died a couple of years ago, and one of their children was helping take care of him. I'm not sure of his status as of now.

A wonderful man, and great photographer.

Al Weber would have the latest update, but he is back in Victor Colo. running his workshops for this summer.

I heard mention that someone might bring Phil out to Victor for a visit.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news.

austin granger
28-Jul-2004, 20:08
Thank you all for your information. I appreciate it very much.

Though I only knew him through his work, news of Hyde's blindness and the loss of his wife brings me sorrow.

I will send a letter to the Taylorsville address and hope it gets to him. Again, thank you.

Merg Ross
28-Jul-2004, 22:19
Austin,

Don, unfortunately, is correct in reporting the recent developments in Phil's life. He is also correct in his assessment of Phil's work. A very fine photographer. I was in several group exhibitions with him, the first in 1954. Send him a letter and let him know the influence he had on your work.

Merg Ross ----- Oakland, CA

Cal Eng
1-Aug-2004, 13:54
For those who are interested Mr. Hyde has donated his entire archive to the University of California at Santa Cruz.