PDA

View Full Version : Schneider G-Claron 150mm f9 Shutter Size?

spotmaticfanatic
29-Aug-2013, 20:34
Hi All,

I have an f9 G-Claron 150mm. I've read that it should fit in a Copal ) shutter. However, the front element is clearly too wide to fit in. Yet, I've never seen any reference to them mounting on a Copal 1 shutter. Anyone have any insights into this?

IanG
30-Aug-2013, 00:20
They fit a Copal, Compur Prontor, Seiko, Epsilon, Agi etc #0 sized shutter. The front cell isn't sunk into the shutter, go look at the width of a lens like a 90mm f5.6 Super Angulon, way wider front cell sthan a 150mm G Claron and they fit, and the early 90mm f8 Super Angulon was in a #00 Compur.

Ian

Andrew
30-Aug-2013, 03:17
Definitely Copal #0. If you're thinking of remounting the lens cells from a barrel into a shutter from another lens, don't expect the aperture scales to be correct. Even if it's another 150mm lens. You might get lucky and they'll be close enough to use but aperture scales are fairly specific so you'd need to check them before you start shooting.

dave_whatever
30-Aug-2013, 04:25
Definitely Copal #0. If you're thinking of remounting the lens cells from a barrel into a shutter from another lens, don't expect the aperture scales to be correct. Even if it's another 150mm lens. You might get lucky and they'll be close enough to use but aperture scales are fairly specific so you'd need to check them before you start shooting.

I have used 150mm g claron cells in the shutter from a 150mm symmar-s and the aperture scale needed about one stop of correction (off the top of my head I can't remember if it was one stop smaller or larger).

dionsees
30-Aug-2013, 11:24
Definitely a Copal #0, I know this for certain, because I have a vintage yet still factory fresh G-Claron 150mm f/9 in the box, and it came from Schneider already mounted in the Copal #0. You're motivating me here...I've only used the lens sparingly, with good results, but never went back to see all it could do. Time to give it another test drive!

Andrew
30-Aug-2013, 14:47
the front element is clearly too wide to fit in.

I've been trying to figure out this statement and I may have a solution for you... ?

if you've unscrewed a lens elements from a barrel, sometimes it's been jammed in so tight that a component of the barrel mount unscrews with the lens. If the lens comes out with the barrel component still tightly attached it might look like it's all one component and cause confusion. If that's the case, you just need to do some more disassembly!

This has happened to me two times with g-clarons lenses [!] and both times it's been the front element that came away with the front component of the barrel, so it says something about Schneider's construction techniques.

Have a closer look at what you've got and check for another screw thread... the 150 g-claron definitely goes into a Copal #0 and that applies to both the new ones and the older dagor style ones [I have both in the collection]

please update us

addit: did you notice a tiny spring and ball bearing loose on your table top, the aperture ring got super loose and you're seeing an unusual view of the aperture blades ??? If it's yes to any of these, you've taken out the front of the barrel...

Fotoguy20d
30-Aug-2013, 19:02
I have a 150 in Copal 0, in case everyone else doesn't have you convinced yet. I did have the same issue with a 210 not fitting into a Copal 1 - it turned out to be the barrel coming along with the lens. Once that was off, the cells dropped right in. Both mine are later versions.

Dan

spotmaticfanatic
30-Aug-2013, 19:14
I have a 150 in Copal 0, in case everyone else doesn't have you convinced yet. I did have the same issue with a 210 not fitting into a Copal 1 - it turned out to be the barrel coming along with the lens. Once that was off, the cells dropped right in. Both mine are later versions.

Dan

Thanks for the in put, everyone. From the sounds of t, it's the barrel that is the issue. When I unscrew the rear element, it will screw into the back if a Copal 0. The front will not. Unlike my Fujinon. Lenses, I can screw the rear element right into the front. If this is the barrel, are there any tricks to getting it off so I can mount it on a shutter?

dave_whatever
31-Aug-2013, 01:08
Te barrel is the bit that should have the aperture scale on, you need to just unscrew the front cells from this. I once bought a 240mm g claron in barrel and the front was almost welded into the barrel, was hard to unscrew because you've got so little to get hold of but I managed to unscrew it by wearing rubber gloves.

The completed 150mm in shutter should look like this:

http://static.photo.net/attachments/classifieds/146/1467910-227701.jpg

IanG
31-Aug-2013, 02:33
I have used 150mm g claron cells in the shutter from a 150mm symmar-s and the aperture scale needed about one stop of correction (off the top of my head I can't remember if it was one stop smaller or larger).

The scales should be almostnthe same, the only variations is because some 150mm lenses can vary slightly and actually be 148mm t0 152m. The aperture is related to the FL and the diameter of the aperture.

f stop = focal lenght/diameter of aperture

Which reminds me I have to make an aperture scale for a 14" Telephoto lens max aperture f4.5 but with no scale at all (or shutter).

Ian

dave_whatever
31-Aug-2013, 02:45
I remember that on my shutter the point where the shutter blades just almost became visible, the lenses f/9, was about f/13 on the shutter.

On the other hand a set of Sinaron-SE cells go in without adjustment.

mitch.goddard
31-Aug-2013, 12:17
Here's what the rear end of the front cell should look like.

Andrew
31-Aug-2013, 14:34
The scales should be almostnthe same, the only variations is because some 150mm lenses can vary slightly and actually be 148mm t0 152m. The aperture is related to the FL and the diameter of the aperture.

f stop = focal lenght/diameter of aperture

Which reminds me I have to make an aperture scale for a 14" Telephoto lens max aperture f4.5 but with no scale at all (or shutter).

Ian

I'm also surprised there was such a big difference! I have both those lenses so I'm tempted to try that particular swap and see what happens

but there are apparently other variables to consider such as flange to film plane distance.... and that'll be a prominent issue you'll have to allow for when you're dealing with a telephoto design

edit:

I just did the experiment and, on my examples, I make the difference 0.4 f-stops with the 150 g-claron having less light transmission so I'd expect to have to add 0.4 f-stops using the aperture scale from the 150 symmar-s ???

spotmaticfanatic
5-Sep-2013, 07:26
Thanks for your help, everyone. I got the front element off. Now, to get a shutter and mount this baby!