PDA

View Full Version : I know... all it takes is two to make an auction, but why?

Gundlach
28-Aug-2013, 18:16
Is this sought after? Twelve bidders - but two makes the auction.

I think this must be a #7 or 7A?

US $4,494.00
(360722649841)
LARGE BRASS VOIGTLANDER & JOHN WIEN BRAUNSCHNEIG NO. 20255 PETZVAL LENS

goamules
28-Aug-2013, 18:59
The biggest lenses are truly rare, an overused term, but true in this case. I sold a Voigtlander 6B last year, and it indeed got up there. Think about it, for every 500 quarterplate cameras, there were maybe 50 halfplate, and 25 wholeplate, and 5 8x10. How many larger than 8x10 lenses did any company really need to make each year? The late Sean who had the Dallmeyer production ledgers told me only 1 or 2 extremely large portrait lenses were made a year, if I recall.

Gundlach
29-Aug-2013, 08:41
The biggest lenses are truly rare, an overused term, but true in this case. I sold a Voigtlander 6B last year, and it indeed got up there. Think about it, for every 500 quarterplate cameras, there were maybe 50 halfplate, and 25 wholeplate, and 5 8x10. How many larger than 8x10 lenses did any company really need to make each year? The late Sean who had the Dallmeyer production ledgers told me only 1 or 2 extremely large portrait lenses were made a year, if I recall.

I agree on quantities produced, and the bidder surely must have surely had a need!

I was a bidder and thought "maybe" $2500.00 would have been the magic number. I own a "sister" that was probably sitting on the bench the same time this lens was manufactured. Mine is within 9 (serial number) of this one! I think this was a period where not many were being made.

I would love the speed of a 6B!

G

DrTang
29-Aug-2013, 08:53
most of us 'mess round' with our gear..personal projects, etc

there are a few who earn money with their photography and maybe a few with enough money that the difference between 2K and 5K is almost nil for something they been looking for

I shudder to think what my 'camera room' would look like should I ever win the lotto