PDA

View Full Version : Simple flash sync for packard shutters

Mkillmer
28-Aug-2013, 06:11
I have been wanting to have my Packard shutters flash synced to my strobes. I have built a simple modification to the shutter that might interest some one.

There are two important items in the project - a female PC sync port and a micro pressure switch.
The switch was easily available at a local electronic components store for $2.00
The female PC sync port was not easy for me to find. In the end I bought a PC sync extension cable off ebay ($12.00 delivered 10 days later *sigh*).
I used JB Weld epoxy to glue the switch.
I made a mess of the soldering, but it worked...

The bend at the end of the metal switch is my adjustment for fine tuning the switch to activate when the piston is fully extended.

Here is my test 8x10 paper negative using synced flash. No vignetting, so my first adjustment seems fine.

DrTang
28-Aug-2013, 07:35
THAT is exactly what I did..micro switch and all

do you have a problem with it being 'on' when focusing and maybe buring out your flash???

I bet there are momentary switches that would prevent this..or you could just unplug the cord while focusing

I made a second switch on hand grip (okay..a piece of pvc pipe) that I had to hold down while setting off the shutter with the other hand
- it was super Rube Goldberg and crazy looking - but.. I kinda like that anyway and it worked

then I found a sinar shutter and all that is in a box now

Mkillmer
28-Aug-2013, 07:50
do you have a problem with it being 'on' when focusing and maybe buring out your flash???

Interesting! I hadn't thought of that, I hope that is not a problem - I guess I can follow your lead and plug in only when taking the picture - Thanks for the tip!