PDA

View Full Version : Exposed 4x5 Color Film- How long can I wait before processing?

mark.s
26-Aug-2013, 07:59
I`m living in a small city, so i have to send my exposed 4x5 film to a lab in another city for processing.
In the long run sending and returning is fairly expensive.
In future I would like to avoid sending only 5-6 sheets to the lab.
I would like to wait until i have engough exposed film, so that it pays off.

How long do you think it is okay to wait before processing exposed 4x5 film (fuji pro 160ns / C41)?

Daniel Stone
26-Aug-2013, 08:14
I've had film sit undeveloped for up to 6mo without any apparent problems with density/contrast.

-Dan

Ari
26-Aug-2013, 09:08
Keep the storage area dry and cool, and it should last a very long time, certainly a year.

lenser
26-Aug-2013, 18:07
Put the boxed, exposed film into a zip lock bag with a packet of silica desiccant then place in in the refrigerator of freezer. It should last for as long as you wish. Just be VERY sure that you don't open the zip lock for a few hours after you take it out of the fridge so it warms to room temperature and doesn't experience condensation.

Larry Gebhardt
26-Aug-2013, 19:06
I found 4 sheets of E6 that I had put in the fridge 4 years ago and lost track of. I just developed them and they look perfect. I was a bit surprised that they don't seem to have suffered at all.

Stephen Willard
28-Aug-2013, 17:12
I batch my work and develop everything at the end of the season when I come in from the field. I have never had any problems.

I have also done a formal test with Portra 160 VC film a while back. I contacted printed 18 4x5 wedge strips all at once and stored them in a cool dark place. I then developed two pieces of the exposed film every three months over a period of two years and recorded there densities. I found no statistical differences over the two year period.

So based on my practical experience and testing, a year or two is just fine as long as it is properly stored.

mark.s
29-Aug-2013, 00:05
thanks stephen, thats very useful information!

koh303
29-Aug-2013, 04:35
Why not just process your films your self? save the shipping cost, and get next to nothing cost per sheet? and best of all you do not have to wait at all...