PDA

View Full Version : Polaroid MP-4 bino viewer on Speed Graphic

bracan
26-Aug-2013, 04:37
Hello guys,
If anybody have problem with focusing on Speed Graphic this is the real deal.
With help of my friend Milos, I manage to adapt Polaroid MP-4 bino viewer directly to Graflok on my Speed graphic.
You just need to find MP-4 bino and to spend some time in filing and grinding two metal sticks from bino sides and fit on the Graflok.

jcoldslabs
26-Aug-2013, 06:23
Looks good. I had hoped to try this at one time but never found a cheap enough reflex viewer. Maybe I'll start looking for one again.

Jonathan

bracan
26-Aug-2013, 08:19
You should Jonathan, easy can find for few bucks.

Bill Kumpf
26-Aug-2013, 09:33
Check my FS items Project Stuff and PM me.

Drew Bedo
26-Aug-2013, 11:13
I have made this conversion on two different occaisions in the past. The conversion is not difficult. It works well for horizontal shots.

I was trying to use this in the field and found it to work well for viewing, composing and focusing. However it was heavy to transport and bulky to storee.

I wish someone would make this item with modern lightweight materials.

Jim C.
26-Aug-2013, 11:48
I was in the process of converting one and while test fitting I realized that it would limit me to chest level
shots because of the angle of the hood, and I was having trouble seeing the gg, back in the project cabinet it went,
and a new idea is in the works.
Bracan, those metal sticks are spring pins, the seller of the one I bought had included some that were the right length iirc .

Drew Bedo
27-Aug-2013, 17:04
I would like to see one of these converted to fit on a Grafles Reflex for eye-level focusing.

Mkillmer
29-Aug-2013, 17:37
Sinar make a modern lightweight viewing back. Sometimes these come up on eBay.

Drew Bedo
1-Sep-2013, 07:19
Sinar make a modern lightweight viewing back. Sometimes these come up on eBay.

Does it fit on a Grafloc or Universal back?

bracan
2-Sep-2013, 02:37
Does it fit on a Grafloc or Universal back?

Doesnt fit.

Drew Bedo
3-Sep-2013, 06:19
bracan: Thanks for that clarification.

If the Sinar viewer can not be made to work on a Grafloc back . . .what is the point of mentioning it?

This thread is about mounting a viewer to a camera with a Grafloc type back. The conversion described in the OP involves swapping existing hardware and four screws. The Sinar solution mentioned above involves buying a whole new camera system.

With the pending success of the Wanderlust Travel-wide project, I would think that a light-weight viewer that is adaptable to several different view camera systems would be a new project that is worth perusing.

Mkillmer
6-Sep-2013, 09:18
Bracan,
The Sinar viewer viewer might be a good starting point for the project. I have both the sinar and the mp4 back and I would never consider the mp-4 as a long term solution because of the weight. The sinar back is very light and designed as a removable accessory. Both are bulky unfortunately.
I can take some pictures of the back of both if you would want. Just PM me if you are interested.
Mark

Drew Bedo
7-Sep-2013, 06:10
The main reasons to consider the MP-4 viewer are low cost/availability and the ease of adaptation. It is a heavy item.

What would it take to modify a Sinar viewer so that it will mount to a Grafloc back?

Misko
2-Dec-2013, 04:36
Don't forget that there are also:
1) Cambo angled viewer
2) Cambo straight viewer (better option than pt1 but more rare & more expensive 2nd hand)
3) Chinese versions of angled viewer
4) all the other companies that make the viewers…

Problem with all those viewers is as mentioned:

The main reasons to consider the MP-4 viewer are low cost/availability and the ease of adaptation. It is a heavy item

All the other options usually don't fit to Graflok with the simple modification that anyone can do in few minutes and higher price of the original items…

On the other hand - friend of mine just modified one universal lens shade with compendium, rubber lens shade, close up filter and earphone pad for the eye rest into great DIY viewer.

After using my MP4 viewer on Pacemaker - I have to agree - shooting vertical shots is not easy at all… hence I would prefer owning one of those "straight" viewers but I just wonder where to find 200+ US$ for it or all the needed components that friend used to make his own :)

Maybe some telescopic retractable mechanism could be made similar to Impossible Project's Instant lab that could feature magnifier on one end & 2 pins to lock into the Graflok… Maybe I should do it's 3D model & make a test on 3D printer? :)