PDA

View Full Version : Any LF users in the Sacramento, CA area?

Darin Cozine
27-Jul-2004, 01:39
There are a couple of camera clubs in The Sacramento, CA (USA) area, but I havent met any other LF users, and especially no bottom-feeders like me.

Is there anyone in the area who would like to meet-up sometime?

-While we are on the subject. It seems to me like many web-posters have something against identifying themselves. I think it would be great if there was a section of this website where people could chat with other local photographers.

darter
27-Jul-2004, 04:02
A "bottom-feeder" is an organism that feeds on the (usually) dead detritus that sinks to the permanently dark bottom of the ocean. How can this apply to a photographer?

Jim Rhoades
27-Jul-2004, 06:02
Off thread, but Phil, a bottom feeder is a proudly self imposed discription of a L/F photographer who is also a Luddite. One that finds great joy in using old cheap lenses. A double or triple convertible would make our hearts beat faster. A fine print made with a 135mm Optar is just about perfect.

This as apposed to a lens snob. A lens snob believes that only a photo taken with a Super Cosmic 110mm XLCH is worthy of film. A lens snob will always show you his case of lenses but rarely his prints.

Bill_1856
27-Jul-2004, 06:41
Nonsense. A photographic bottom feeder is a Leica user. It is not (necessarily) the same as a Luddite.

wfwhitaker
27-Jul-2004, 09:56
Darin,

I'm in Benicia, so not too far away.

-Will

Geary Lyons
27-Jul-2004, 10:39
Hi Darin, I'm in Pleasant Hill, accross the Benicia bridge from William. There are several LF photographers in the East Bay area. although an hour from Sacto, there are many great shooting areas that are mutually close!

Cheers, Geary

james mickelson
27-Jul-2004, 15:07
I had an old Luddite once. It was great.

james mickelson
27-Jul-2004, 15:09
I had an old Luddite once. It was great. Try pdu111@yahoo.com Carl is in Modesto.

abel
27-Jul-2004, 19:33
Hello Darin, I do LF and live here in Fairfield. Would be great to chat about mutual intertests. There are some large formaters at the Sacrmaento Valley Photographic Arts Center. phone #916-441-2341.

John Kasaian
27-Jul-2004, 21:29
I usually slip into Sacramento about once a month or so on business, but I'm stuck in Fresno(Baja Merced.)

Steve Nieslony
27-Jul-2004, 23:15
Darin, As stated above - Sacramento Valley Photographic Arts Center is where you will come in contact with LF users (among other types as well). Many are well known, quite capable with varying interests in subject matter. SVPAC is an active organzation with a gallery, workshops, field trips as well as once a month print sharings. For full information you can check out the following link...

http://www.viewpointgallery.org/

When you atten the different events, you will meeat and make contact with many of us that prefer to work with LF gear

Steve

Darin Cozine
28-Jul-2004, 01:42
Great, thank you for the link. I am glad to hear that I am not alone.

I also like the fact that there are a few LFP's in the surrounding area like benicia and Fresno. I also know someone in Placerville. I will have to see what the SVPAC has to offer.

-Is there any interest in a local forum for the extended-Sacramento area? (I have a permanent webserver now.. lots of unused space)

Paul Cocklin
2-Apr-2005, 00:51
Rather than start a new thread, I figured I would just answer this one as I was searching through the archives....

I live in Roseville and while I travel to the east coast for work fairly frequently, I'm in town for at least a couple of weeks and just got started in 4x5. Just got my first chromes back and I am hooked! Going to be going down to SVPAC for their second saturday exhibit, so maybe I'll see you there, Darin and Steve. Looking forward to meeting someone else who shoots LF. Can't wait to see the exhibit, too.

Paul

paranormal
30-Mar-2011, 19:20
If anybody in the Sacramento area likes to develop with pyro I would gladly give away a Rollo Pyro kit from Bostik and Sullivan. It is not brand new but still fresh,and I used just a little bit of it . The reason I want to get rid of it is that currently I experimenting with other developers. Here's my adress GESHA65@EARTHLINK.NET.

thedevilyourneighbor
6-Jun-2011, 04:20
Wish I was already up there. I'm trying to move to Sac, but am having a hard time finding a job. The place I'm working now (in Bakersfield) just opened another location in San Francisco, so I might end up moving into the suburbs of SF or something. Anybody know any decent, inexpensive places to live in SF? If so, message me. Don't post it here because this topic (even though it's old) is about Sacramento.

jamiehughes
14-Jul-2016, 08:37
I am just getting into LF. Not sure if this thread has died out, been a few years