PDA

View Full Version : Xray film + Travel

tenderobject
24-Aug-2013, 18:05
Would this be a bad idea? Bringing xray film carry on when travelling?
I know this sound very stupid but i just want to make sure. I will be going to my hometown in a few days. My new 8x10 setup with xray film is waiting there for me. Although i wll be going back to Iran because my family lives there. Just want to make sure i could still shoot 8x10 there so i want to bring some boxes. I don't know where to source xray films here. It seems like they're doing it digitally nowadays. So, if ever i would want to bring in some boxes but i'm not sure if this is a bad idea. I don't like sending stuff here anymore. Last time i got my package from the US. the graflarger i bought here has a busted lamp and one of my 120 flm was opened! Bad luck!

Is there any other way?

Thanks!

grantflanagan
30-Aug-2013, 20:26
As far I know, Xray film is just like regular film unless it is exposed while inside an Xray specific holder. The Xray style holders contain the rare earth materials that allow xray light to pass through and be recorded by the film. As long as the film is simply in its normal triple boxes, it shouldn't be an issue.

tenderobject
31-Aug-2013, 17:22
Thank you guys! Its timeto get a few more boxes! Its quite heavy though!

Corran
31-Aug-2013, 20:29
Just FYI, at least the x-ray film I've gotten, it is not in triple boxes, just one box with a black bag holding the film. Probably doesn't matter, BUT, the bags aren't sealed either, so I would make absolutely sure to tape those suckers up tight and write in big bold letters DO NOT OPEN, CONTAINS PHOTOGRAPHIC FILM or whatever.

tenderobject
31-Aug-2013, 22:45
Corran, i noticed this as well with the Fuji HRT box that i have. It has at least a small space in the box cartoon lid. Dunno if the film was exposed but its still have tape there. But you can see that the box isn't that fully packed. Thanks for the advice!

Just FYI, at least the x-ray film I've gotten, it is not in triple boxes, just one box with a black bag holding the film. Probably doesn't matter, BUT, the bags aren't sealed either, so I would make absolutely sure to tape those suckers up tight and write in big bold letters DO NOT OPEN, CONTAINS PHOTOGRAPHIC FILM or whatever.

grantflanagan
1-Sep-2013, 00:26
I just opened one today, it was a brown Fuji box, cardboard and barely attached, but inside were stronger cardboard walls surrounding a light tight vacuum sealed bag, like how normal film arrives inside those pouches, and then surrounded by two layers of cardboard. pretty well secured from intrusion, but I would still gaff it and write ISO 3200 XRAY FILM all over it.

I was fortunate and found two rolls of red caution tape that say PHOTOGRAPHIC MATERIALS DO NOT XRAY. The TSA fear red tape of any kind I've found. I even put it on my hard drives and let them get wiped down instead of xrayed a ton of times, just to be safe. :)

tenderobject
1-Sep-2013, 07:05
Thank youvery much grant!!!