PDA

View Full Version : Aperture scale for old style Aero Ektar 7" ?

monkeymon
22-Aug-2013, 10:05
Hello

I was thinking could someone scan me a aperture scale from an old style aero ektar, the model that has a non removable filter mount?

Corran
22-Aug-2013, 13:11
Does it not have click-stops? All of the AE lenses I've had have had clicks on each stop. I've had about 10 go through my hands.

jcoldslabs
22-Aug-2013, 13:46
My earliest example of an Aero Ektar with integral hood/filter mount is from 1942 and not only does it not have click stops, someone manually (and crudely) hammered f/stop numbers into the body of the lens and three small dots in the aperture ring as an indicator. It's hard to tell if this was done after the fact or if the early lenses were marked in this way at the factory. Usually the K-24 cameras these lenses were mounted to had external aperture scales on the lens hoods that lined up with the long protruding aperture levers, so markings on the lens itself--which was entirely shrouded by the camera and hood--may not have been a priority. My lens doesn't have any spare screw holes where an aperture scale would go, so I'm not sure if these early versions ever had one.

http://www.kolstad.us/ebay/AE-42-APSCALE.jpg

Jonathan

Corran
22-Aug-2013, 14:13
Interesting. I guess I've never had one that old. All of mine had click stops, and all but a couple have had aperture scales screwed into the ring.

monkeymon
22-Aug-2013, 16:00
Yeah, no click stops on this.. But if anyone doesn't have it.. maybe i can just calculate something and print it out as a sticker...

And Jonathan K, your right.. mine doesn't have screw holes on the body either. And it seems it's missing something you have on you picture on the left, the big flat head screw... i just got two screw holes left.

One thing kinda was weird too, it had virtually no browning. My old (a newer model) aero had a lot, that i bleached with uv light.

jcoldslabs
22-Aug-2013, 17:22
Maybe i can just calculate something and print it out as a sticker...

I would be happy to measure the distance between the marked stops on my lens, if that would help. A sticker should work just fine.

Jonathan

EDIT: Here is an uncropped photo showing the long "arm" attached to the aperture ring that would have protruded out of the lens hood on the original camera.

http://www.kolstad.us/ebay/AE-42-APSCALE2.jpg

genotypewriter
22-Aug-2013, 17:29
Personally, I would just use an interchangeable lens camera (haven't tried it with a light meter) on the back and just make my own markings. It's good that your lens doesn't have browning but still there's transmission loss because of the glass.

monkeymon
23-Aug-2013, 13:08
I would be happy to measure the distance between the marked stops on my lens, if that would help. A sticker should work just fine.

Jonathan

EDIT: Here is an uncropped photo showing the long "arm" attached to the aperture ring that would have protruded out of the lens hood on the original camera.

http://www.kolstad.us/ebay/AE-42-APSCALE2.jpg

If you can measure the distances, it would be great... saves me some time!

So it's just a long arm for the aperture.. i thought it would have bee some kind of a pointer for the apertures. Maybe I'll bend a bicycle spoke and make me a nice pointer when i get my aperture scale ready...

jcoldslabs
23-Aug-2013, 13:31
The distances around the barrel starting wide open are:

0.00mm = f/2.5
+23.5mm = f/4
+12.5mm = f/5.6
+9.0mm = f/8
+6.0mm = f/11
+4.5mm (max rotation) = f/16

Hope that helps.

Jonathan

monkeymon