PDA

View Full Version : Kodak Master View 8x10.

tenderobject
20-Aug-2013, 16:10
Sorry, i know there are quite a few threads about this brilliant camera.

Just want to make my own. I hope it's fine.

I bought my 8x10 KMV from Richard Wasserman here in the forum. It's been a long time and still i have a few days before i could get my hands on the camera.

Just curious if people here would like to share some info on things i need for the camera.

Anyone would like to share the exact dimension of the the lensboard for KMV? I might try to make some locally for future lenses.

Is the 5x7 back for this camera very rare? How about 4x10? Anyone tried 4x10 with this camera? I'm just curious.

Last thing. I have the original case for this camera. Anyone interested? I might sell or trade it since i bought a bag for the camera to carry it back to Iran and i won't be needing it but i have to check the weight first since it's in Manila already. Shipping overseas will be expensive. Let see..

Thanks guys!

John Kasaian
20-Aug-2013, 16:36
I seem to recollect Michael Smith having had a batch of KMV lens boards made.
Its worth a try
http://www.michaelandpaula.com/mp/index_skip.html

tenderobject
20-Aug-2013, 16:40
Thanks John, Yeah i contacted him before he is nice although i would like to make my own so i could save up a few $$$ for other things like chemistry and film.

Bill_1856
20-Aug-2013, 17:03
What's so special about KMV lensboards?

Ari
20-Aug-2013, 17:29

They require a channel to be made, protruding from the board, in order to fit a groove on the front end.
I've seen Michael's boards, and while they are very well-made, I, too, would rather spend $150 on film than on one lens board.

They are not hard to make yourself.
Get some 1/8" thick aluminum, cut to 6x6 inches, and fix some black velcro of 1/4" width to the outer edge of the back of the lens board.
I made five this way, including a Technika adapter board, and it cost me about $150 including cutting and drilling the aluminum.

Mark Sawyer
20-Aug-2013, 17:29

They're a custom design with a molded-in light lock. I converted my KMV to take 6x6 boards so I can use the same boards on my Kodak 2D and B&J 8x10's. If you're using more than 3 or 4 lenses, or want to use them on other cameras, it's worth doing such a conversion.

pierre506
20-Aug-2013, 18:14
Iran?
I just came back with my Deardorff 810 from Iran the day before yesterday.

tenderobject
21-Aug-2013, 00:41
Thank you Ari! I'm quite broke right now so it's better for me to spend a little on lensboard. :D

So the board dimension is exactly 6x6" like the dorff? This is a bit confusing because there is no absolute info about KMV lensboard dimension online. :D

I've seen your boards last time but it would be more cheaper for me to source it locally than paying extra on shipping. I've been burned with shipping stuff to Iran lately so i have to stop it for a while since i will be on vacation in Manila. Much easier to source stuff there than here.

They require a channel to be made, protruding from the board, in order to fit a groove on the front end.
I've seen Michael's boards, and while they are very well-made, I, too, would rather spend $150 on film than on one lens board.

They are not hard to make yourself.
Get some 1/8" thick aluminum, cut to 6x6 inches, and fix some black velcro of 1/4" width to the outer edge of the back of the lens board.
I made five this way, including a Technika adapter board, and it cost me about $150 including cutting and drilling the aluminum.

tenderobject
21-Aug-2013, 00:44
Yes pierre506. I live here with my family. :) I would like to see some of your LF shots in Iran.

Iran?
I just came back with my Deardorff 810 from Iran the day before yesterday.

Doug Howk
21-Aug-2013, 03:57
In hindsight, wish I had SKGrimes make me an adapter board for the KMV, such as for Linhoff/ShenHao lensboards. As you add lenses to your kit, or interchange with other cameras, it would be money well spent. Would suspect someone in your neighborhood could do the same.

tenderobject
21-Aug-2013, 14:38
Thanks Doug. The KMV i bought has lensboard adapter but still unknown to me until i see it and measure it. But it gives me a hint that it's a customise graflex adapter. Well, hopefully. I just need a big board for big lens in the future. Making one locally won't be a problem and would be cheap so it's ok for me. 6x6 for the lensboard. I thought its a bit different than the dorrf. :D

In hindsight, wish I had SKGrimes make me an adapter board for the KMV, such as for Linhoff/ShenHao lensboards. As you add lenses to your kit, or interchange with other cameras, it would be money well spent. Would suspect someone in your neighborhood could do the same.

Ari
21-Aug-2013, 16:06
T.O., Doug's idea is a good one; if possible, make just one board, a Technika (or Sinar, or whatever) adapter.
I am working from memory here, but the boards were likely 6x6 exactly; you could always make them a mm or two bigger, as aluminum is pretty easy to cut or sand down.

Mark also has a good idea, modify the receptor board and make regular 6x6 flat boards.

tenderobject
21-Aug-2013, 18:07
Thank you very much Ari! I can't wait to touch my KMV hahaha! Will keep you guys updated asap.

I should dispose the casing since i will have no choice to leave it in our old house. I hope someone would like a trade or something..

T.O., Doug's idea is a good one; if possible, make just one board, a Technika (or Sinar, or whatever) adapter.
I am working from memory here, but the boards were likely 6x6 exactly; you could always make them a mm or two bigger, as aluminum is pretty easy to cut or sand down.

Mark also has a good idea, modify the receptor board and make regular 6x6 flat boards.

William Whitaker
22-Aug-2013, 15:47
I modified my Kodak Master to take Sinar boards since I'm already set up for that and they're plentiful. That's a matter of opinion and personal choice, however. In the past I have had replacement KMV lensboards from Michael Smith and they were very well made, if expensive.

Someone else on this forum had an adapter board made to take Sinar boards. Whether they used one of Michael's boards or not, I don't recall. But that made a whole lot of sense to me to make an adapter board for whatever board you use the most. My application involved having to replace the bellows, so required more of an investment and probably not what you're looking for.

tenderobject
22-Aug-2013, 17:12
Thank you Will! I will check the lens adapter as soon as i get the camera. Hopefully it's Graflex since i do have 4x5 speed and would be better because it's easy to make lensboard for that.