PDA

View Full Version : Linhof focus cam (with no serial number)

MonkeyBrain
18-Aug-2013, 06:09
Hi, I came across a Linhof cam (more modern type, with ridged grip part where it attaches to camera) that has the focal distance of 240mm engraved on it, but no lens serial number below it. There's not much that I can see on the back of the cam (though there is something small towards where the cam attaches the camera, probably just Linhof logo). Anyone any idea what this cam is meant for?

It looks like a cam for tech V or MT (I have a tech V), but I understand that normally the serial number of the lens the cam was ground for would also be engraved on the cam. I need to get a cam made for a 240mm lens, so this would be prefect if it worked, as its very cheap. But I gather that just 'cos the came is made for the correct focal length doesnt mean it will work accurately at all distances, so it's probably better I pass up on the offer and just pay for linhof to make me a cam.

But why does this cam not have a serial number engraved on it at all? What does that mean?

Bob Salomon
18-Aug-2013, 08:21
It probably has to be ground to match your lens. But then you will also need a pair of infinity stops and the focusing scale. Those all make up a coupled lens.

Bill_1856
18-Aug-2013, 09:15
If it's cheap, buy it and try it. It will probably work just fine (based on my 50 years experience with orphan cams).

Bob Salomon
18-Aug-2013, 09:35
If it's cheap, buy it and try it. It will probably work just fine (based on my 50 years experience with orphan cams).

Bill, an orphaned cam has been cut to match some 240 lens. In this case he is describing a blank cam that needs to be cut. That is very different then an orphan cam.

MonkeyBrain
18-Aug-2013, 17:40
Thanks, both of you.

Bob, is providing my own un-ground cam to Linhof likely to net me any discount/advantage over just getting them to do everything from scratch? Presumably the cost of coupling a lens is primarily for the work of grinding, calibrating, checking etc., and the actual piece of metal counts for little?

EDIT: And why would there even be a raw, un-ground cam floating around on the second hand market in the first place? Did the Japanese Linhof service center close down recently by any chance (both myself and the cam are in Japan)? Why else would such an item end up with a dealer?

Bob Salomon
19-Aug-2013, 04:45
Thanks, both of you.

Bob, is providing my own un-ground cam to Linhof likely to net me any discount/advantage over just getting them to do everything from scratch? Presumably the cost of coupling a lens is primarily for the work of grinding, calibrating, checking etc., and the actual piece of metal counts for little?

EDIT: And why would there even be a raw, un-ground cam floating around on the second hand market in the first place? Did the Japanese Linhof service center close down recently by any chance (both myself and the cam are in Japan)? Why else would such an item end up with a dealer?

Who knows where or how it got to market. We use to have a few blanks so other distributors may have also. Obviously a blank cam has value but your question is better directed to whoever does the cramming.

MonkeyBrain
19-Aug-2013, 06:42
Ok, thanks a lot for your help.