PDA

View Full Version : Dates of Cosmetic Changes to Rodenstock, Schneider, Copal, and Compur?

Otto Seaman
14-Aug-2013, 18:20
Just for easier, casual date reference, when did:

Rodenstock begin adding colored rings to the front barrels of their modern large format lenses?

Schneider go from APO-Symmars to APO-Symmar-Ls?

Copal go from chrome shutter speed rims to black?

And change their aperture pointers from white/red to black/red?

Compur go to the wide white paddle levers on their shutters?

And go from white and chrome to all black cosmetics?

Preemptive thanks to Bob Solomon, who will probably have this all in his head ;-p

Daniel Stone
14-Aug-2013, 20:58
Just for easier, casual date reference, when did:

Rodenstock begin adding colored rings to the front barrels of their modern large format lenses?

Schneider go from APO-Symmars to APO-Symmar-Ls?

Copal go from chrome shutter speed rims to black?

And change their aperture pointers from white/red to black/red?

Compur go to the wide white paddle levers on their shutters?

And go from white and chrome to all black cosmetics?

Preemptive thanks to Bob Solomon, who will probably have this all in his head ;-p

I was going to write "talk to Bob", but then I read your post in it's entirety, and saw your last line ;)

Otto Seaman
16-Aug-2013, 14:13
bump

Bob Salomon
16-Aug-2013, 15:38
Sorry, I don't. I will get you the date of the rings when I am back in the office, after the 26th.

Oren Grad
16-Aug-2013, 15:45
Apo-Symmar L series was introduced at Photokina 2002.

I have a Rodenstock brochure dated 9/93 showing the color-ringed lenses.

EDIT: Just to be clear, the Apo-Symmar --> Apo-Symmar L transition involved a change in the glass, not just in the cosmetics of the labeling. There were midstream cosmetic changes in the typographic style for the Symmar-S series, and at least some late-production Apo-Symmars got the newer Apo-Symmar L style lettering, though I don't know whether that affected all focal lengths.

FWIW, Caltar II-N plasmats spanned both the Sironar-N and Apo-Sironar-N generations. Most of them are found with the older, Sironar-N style labeling, but late production Caltar II-N's can be found with the rings and new typography.

Afraid I don't have dates for any of those cosmetic changes. Probably someone would have to do research based on serial number observations.