PDA

View Full Version : Autumn Pastoral Scenes...

John Kasaian
14-Aug-2013, 08:13
That's what I'm looking for!
Mechanized farming doesn't seem to lend it's self very well to photography---the emphasis shifts from the seasonal act of people outdoors gathering food to technology and power.
What crops are still found harvested by hand (more or less) and where can I find them being harvested?
There are still some farms that harvest olives by hand in my area, and citrus of course as well as some grapes. Hops farther North. I've been trying to hook up with a mussel fishery but so far no joy (I'm not sure how much of mussel harvesting is mechanized though)
What about in your neighborhood?

Drew Wiley
14-Aug-2013, 09:44
We're right down to the wire in terms of photographs of the Drake's Bay oyster farm. Their lease ran out and the Park service want them out for good, and they've
lost their court appeal. The heaps of oyster shells were interesting, as well as pilings in the estuary itself. Pt Reyes grandfathered in "historic dairy farms" when the
park was established, and a "historic morgan horse ranch", but not the exotic game hunt club or the shellfish industry. There's was quite a commotion over there as
all the white and fallow deer were exterminated, and now all the gourmet restaurants and locals are crying foul because this spells the end to fresh Calif oysters.
It didn't help things when the Park director deliberately falsified water test results to make it appear the oysters were contaminating Drake's Estero, but that is a
different case legally. I've got my share of shots anyway... and the estuary is remarkably beautiful either with or without the oyster business.

Heroique
14-Aug-2013, 10:11
What crops are still found harvested by hand (more or less) and where can I find them being harvested? ...What about in your neighborhood?

The ripe plums from our Seattle street-side trees are gathered in baskets next to the trunk.

Local products being gathered by local labor to serve local needs.

It’s astonishing how this makes everyone care about the tiny bit of soil, light, air, and water for each plum tree. (After all, we’re eating the fruit.) It’s even a recurring theme of conversation on the sidewalk. And this conversation, by creating personal ties, strengthens the local community even more...

The nearby Safeway is not happy about any of this.

Ron Stowell
14-Aug-2013, 11:30
Lots of Amish and Mennonite farmers in the Finger Lakes of New York. We also have several vineyards and at times certain varieties of grapes are harvested by hand.
Just this past weekend we had racing at Watkins Glenn and Pro Golf in Rochester New York.
I know I sound like a member of the chamber of commerce... believe I haven't any connection with that group of people.
We are only a few weeks away from leaf peeping here in the northeast; so load up on color film and get yourself outdoors.

John Kasaian
14-Aug-2013, 14:14
We're right down to the wire in terms of photographs of the Drake's Bay oyster farm. Their lease ran out and the Park service want them out for good, and they've
lost their court appeal. The heaps of oyster shells were interesting, as well as pilings in the estuary itself. Pt Reyes grandfathered in "historic dairy farms" when the
park was established, and a "historic morgan horse ranch", but not the exotic game hunt club or the shellfish industry. There's was quite a commotion over there as
all the white and fallow deer were exterminated, and now all the gourmet restaurants and locals are crying foul because this spells the end to fresh Calif oysters.
It didn't help things when the Park director deliberately falsified water test results to make it appear the oysters were contaminating Drake's Estero, but that is a
different case legally. I've got my share of shots anyway... and the estuary is remarkably beautiful either with or without the oyster business.

Drew, I've already ask for permission to shoot at the Tomales Bay beds. I'm waiting for reply right now in fact! I'd like to pair that with the hops harvest in Sloughhouse if possible, but I don't know if that will work out (months with "R"s)

tgtaylor
16-Aug-2013, 14:15
The California raisin crop is still mostly hand picked and picking season usually starts in September. 45% of the world raisin crop and 99.5% of the US crop is picked within a 60 mile radius of Fresno.

Thomas

Tin Can
16-Aug-2013, 15:00
Michigan blueberries with entire families including very young children, mostly migrant.

Drew Wiley
16-Aug-2013, 16:31
John - that part of the world has some of its best light and least wind in Nov & Dec - plus that's when all the migrating birds are abundant along the shoreline. If
you get over there make sure you pop into Marty Knapp's tiny little gallery at Pt Reyes Stn and say hello.

John Kasaian
17-Aug-2013, 08:35
The California raisin crop is still mostly hand picked and picking season usually starts in September. 45% of the world raisin crop and 99.5% of the US crop is picked within a 60 mile radius of Fresno.

Thomas
Yes indeed it is!

Mark Sawyer
17-Aug-2013, 11:28
You might consider Amish and Mennonite communities, or perhaps a small farm run by a "living history" (historical re-enactment) group.

John Kasaian
17-Aug-2013, 15:11
John - that part of the world has some of its best light and least wind in Nov & Dec - plus that's when all the migrating birds are abundant along the shoreline. If
you get over there make sure you pop into Marty Knapp's tiny little gallery at Pt Reyes Stn and say hello.
Thanks for the tip---I'll be sure to wear hat!

Jim Graves
17-Aug-2013, 17:08
I'd head North:
1. You've been throught Marin ... so just keep going ...
2. The Redwoods on the Avenue of the Giants (talk to Vaughn before you go ... but I'd suggest The Humboldt Redwoods State Park [LINK (http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=425)]with Bull Creek Flats, Roosevelt Redwoods, and the Dyerville Loop ... all within a couple of miles of each other and all with great redwoods ... and right on the Eel River)
3. To Eureka ... the amazing Carson Mansion [LINK (http://www.eurekaheritage.org/the_carson_mansion.htm)]and the Marina ... when you leave Eureka go across the Samoa Bridge and check out the town of Samoa (a slight detour) and the bay scenes, pilings, and shore birds on your way to Arcata and back onto Hwy 101.
4. Trinidad (small light house, bay, pier, boats, rocks, and beach all within 1/2 mile) [LINK (http://www.trinidad.ca.gov/)]
5. Check out the Lagoons north of Trinidad (Big, Stone, and Freshwater) [] ... some amazing fog shots if you hit it right
6. Prairie Creek State Park (Redwoods, a prairie, and Fern Canyon ... not to mention a large elk herd)
7. Crescent City harbor
8. Over Howland Hill Rd east of Crescent City and down into Jedediah Smith State Park (gorgeous country and great redwoods ... LINK (http://www.parks.ca.gov/pages/413/files/JedSmithWebBroch2012.pdf))
9. Up Hwy 199 and the beautiful Smith River Canyon into Grants Pass
10. Over to Crater Lake (optional)
11. Down through Klamath Falls and Yreka (high plains)
12. Past Lake Shasta and Mount Shasta (extraordinary ... stands all by itself [LINK (http://ci.mt-shasta.ca.us/)].)
13. Cross back to the coast via Hwy 299 through the towns of Redding (Sundial Bridge), Shasta (mining era brick buildings and ruins right on the hwy), Weaverville (many mining era buildings and the Joss House ... the oldest continuously operating Chiniese temple in CA)
14. And, over the coast range back to Hwy 101 with panoramic views to the West.
15. and head home.

If I was camping, I'd also be tempted to stay at Richardson's Grove just north of Humboldt Redwoods and also at Patrick's Point State Park [LINK (http://www.trails.com/tcatalog_trail.aspx?trailid=MGS046-074)]between Trinidad and Big Lagoon ... and shoot the coast, rocks, and beaches.

If I needed to shorten that trip ... I'd cut out Crater Lake (imho, the least interesting of these locations) and head from Grants Pass east thru Medford and down to Yreka, Shasta, etc.

If I had a LOT of time (like an extra day or day and a half ... I'd insert as # 2.5 on the list ... drive up to Eureka via the Bull Creek Flat/Mattole Road that heads from the Humboldt Redwoods State Park up over the coast hills down into the "Lost Coast" ... up the coast with some gorgeous unspoiled coastal vistas) ... and come out at Ferndale (a Victorian farming/dairy town about 15 miles south of Eureka) ... but talk to Vaughn before you add this leg.

I