PDA

View Full Version : What is the camera?

DopinG
14-Aug-2013, 04:50
Hello!
What is the camera. What price to offer for it, only camera? Can be used without the stand?
Thanks

TheToadMen
14-Aug-2013, 07:13
Are you buying or selling?
Are there any inscriptions on the lens?

DopinG
14-Aug-2013, 12:43
buy, lens dallmeyer 3b. interesting only camera

Jody_S
14-Aug-2013, 13:46
It is beautiful, I want one!

Steven Tribe
15-Aug-2013, 05:14
This is a German (or an Asiatic copy) Studio Camera.
The Brasswork/Expanding base is certainly typical of cameras made in Görlitz around 1890 - 1910. However, the brass corner pieces have a design that suggest a non-european tradition.
The back is made for plate holders that allow the glass plates to be mounted in either portrait or landscape mode. These were usually single plate holders with and entry door at the back and tambour darkslide. The most common ground glass size is 24x24cm.

Just noticed you asked a question about the stand.
Originally, some of these came with a stand that had a top plate that expanded when the camera base was expanded using the handle at the rear. These have a couple of dowels in the base which attached to the stand. Others had an extra base plate that just rested on the stand. Yours is the former type, I think. But there is no reason why the camera couldn't be used on a Century type stand (that is, with a felt surface large support table). I have seen this style work very well on a bipost Century stand.

DopinG
15-Sep-2013, 16:18
Thanks for the answers. Where you can buy a film holder 24x24cm?

Steven Tribe
16-Sep-2013, 00:23
They don't exist (as a standard item).
If the square hole is 24x24cm, then this is a standard 18x24cm studio camera. The ground glass is 24x24 to allow the mounting of glass plates (or film in sheaths) in either hoizontally or vertically position. Once loaded, the plate/film holders can only be used H or V!
The physical dimensions of the holder is 24x24 (plus a bit more) - but are still 18x24 holders.
These do appear occasionally on (European) ebay, but precise dimensions and mounting methods do vary. They are pretty thick single plate holders, with Tambour slides or "back door" loading.
I have looked at the first photo of the back again - which has a very different contruction from a European camera. It is defintely made for tambour type single plate holders and I'll upload a thumbnail photo if I have time later to-day of one.

TheToadMen
16-Sep-2013, 05:47
They don't exist (as a standard item).
If the square hole is 24x24cm, then this is a standard 18x24cm studio camera. The ground glass is 24x24 to allow the mounting of glass plates (or film in sheaths) in either hoizontally or vertically position. Once loaded, the plate/film holders can only be used H or V!
The physical dimensions of the holder is 24x24 (plus a bit more) - but are still 18x24 holders.
These do appear occasionally on (European) ebay, but precise dimensions and mounting methods do vary. They are pretty thick single plate holders, with Tambour slides or "back door" loading.
I have looked at the first photo of the back again - which has a very different contruction from a European camera. It is defintely made for tambour type single plate holders and I'll upload a thumbnail photo if I have time later to-day of one.

The 18x24 cm sheet film format was a regular European format (as was 13x18 cm). There is even B&W film in this format available. Or you can make (test) shots with paper negatives (B&W photographic paper: matt and RC (not fiber) works best - start at ISO 5 for tests).
The 8x10 inch format is somewhat larger and these film holders won't fit.
The European 18x24 cm film holders do exist 2nd hand, but there isn't a standard model. It seems that every manufacturer designed his own film backs in those days. So - before you buy any - take good measurements if it will fit at all.
I have an old Russian FKD 18x24cm plate camera, with double sides film holders. But you'll never fit one into your camera without extended rebuilding it.
Try to find out what exact type & model camera you have and then check old catalogs or ads (on internet) to see what type of holders it uses. Or find someone with a similar camera who can send you the exact measurements (and photo) of his film backs. Surely someone on APUG must have one of those?
Good luck hunting ...